All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:13 am

They're very close, thematically. In fact I would say that True Detective is to American culture what Evangelion is to the Japanese. It's been derided for objectifying and marginalizing women but it is in fact a feminist meditation on masculinity and wrestles with concepts of male adulthood in a post-feminist world.

The main character, Rust Cohle, is the polar opposite of Shinji in behavior but their problems are very similar. Cohle's main conflict is his wilful disconnection from the rest of humanity after a tragic loss that left him emotionally crippled; his response to this was to become a nihlist. The series frequently references Nietzsche and the eternal recurrence. Much like Anno pulls apart the hot blooded ace pilot archetype with Asuka, Cohle is an examination of the masculine ideal of the brooding warrior poet.

True Detective also mirrors Eva in creating a philosophical discourse told through occult imagery that at first appears randomly appropriated until a deeper examination brings out the hidden significance in the images. As Eva appropriates Western religious iconography, True Detective cobbles together druidism, Santeria and voudon, and Robert W. Chamber's The King in Yellow.

There's moments in the strange, surreal finale that are very EoE. It needs to be seen to be understood.

The cinematography and direction is gorgeous. The series is set and filmed on location in the coastal bayou of Louisiana, and a profound sense of dread pervades the entire series. It's really amazing.

Also Alexandra Daddario gets naked and her rack is amazing.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: All Evageeks should watch HBO's True Detective

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:33 am

I just started watching it tonight actually and just finished the 2nd episode. It's atmosphere is bleak as all fuck, but the characters and story are interesting enough that it still holds my interest. Matty Mac's acting is awesome.

Chuckman wrote:In fact I would say that True Detective is to American culture what Evangelion is to the Japanese

I still think that the quintessential American equivalent to Evangelion will always be Watchmen.

Chuckman wrote:Also Alexandra Daddario gets naked and her rack is amazing.

THIS.

She also proves an exception my usual lack of interest in butts.

HER BUTT IS AN AWESOME BUTT, IT REIGNS FOREVER.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:25 am

^
I did get some Shinji and Asuka vibes from Nightowl Silk Spectre :lol:

@ You and Chuck

What were so great about her Mammary Glands? Am I supposed to be impressed by something regarding them?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:17 am

^ A quick :google: has shown me that they are indeed both correct: that is one epicly perfect pair of breasts. Though not as much as Lass's are.

Looks like I'm going to have to look into this, given such positive recommendations about the show's quality.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:22 am

^
How do you determine a perfect pair of breasts bro?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:29 am

I've had a TD reference in my sig for a while now. :wink:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:31 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^

It varies person to person (personal preference and all concerning what is too small, too large, etc.), but these fall right into that "just right" section for me in size and overall form and appearance (not to mention fairly large nipples, which is a definite bonus). That being said, I do tend to hover more near the "petite" section (A's and B's mostly, with an occasional trip into C-territory) as opposed to moving down further on into the larger C's and beyond.

...yeah, you can tell that I've spent quite an amount of time on these thoughts.

Anyway, back to the topic. We don't need to clog this thread with unnecessary banter.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:57 am

"It's all one ghetto, man - a giant gutter in outer space."

I even had a Rust avatar for about a month or so earlier in the year...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:41 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^

the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jun 21, 2014 4:52 pm

TOPIC, BITCHES
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:56 am

It's just crazy, Not too long ago matthew mcconaughey was just that surfer dude, sure we had glimpses of greatness (a time to kill) but relatively he was considered a joke.

Now he is one of the absolute greatest actors working today!
(watch killer Joe, apparently he is bat shit brutally insane in that)

Alexandra daddario yes she is glorious, but I wish to comment on another area of her beauty, her eyes, they just have this other worldly shimmer it's mezmerizing! Retro actress Meg foster had similar eyes.
And seriously that bitch does not age, she is 28 and I haven't seen her once look a day over 20.

Oh man you know what would be awesome, her playing Misato in a live action Eva movie, the kid playing Shinji be all like 'aren't you a little young to be my guardian let alone being a major in a military orginatization?'
'......... Boy I'm 29!'
Shinji - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM71OthnNoY
True detective for those that don't know will be a anthology show each season is a new cast and set of characters like american horror story.
All we know about the 2nd season is that it will have 3 leads, will take place in California and i quote "hard women, bad men and the secret occult history of the united states transportation system" whatever the fuck that means.
I pray Rumors of Jessica chasten being involved are true.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:41 am

The writer/producer has said that all casting rumors are false.

The secret occult history of the American transportation system sounds amazing. Very "From Hell"
the prophecy is true

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:28 am

Just saw the first two episodes tonight. The show is bleak as fuck but Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson are amazing. Also, love the camera work and cinematography.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:47 pm

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/26/the-true-detective-bootleg-dvd-cover-is-amazing/

:hitthetable:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, can't say I exactly have high hopes for S2 now: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/24/colin-farrell-confirmed-and-vince-vaughn-announced-for-true-detective/

I can't stand Colin Farrell. I just get this dirty, grimey vibe whenever I see him on-screen. The bits of story teased so far do sound interesting, however.
Warren Peace, #643919

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:23 pm

Someone I know one told me that Vince Vaughn used to actually be an actor and was great in stuff like Swingers (which I've seen parts of) and Return to Paradise (which I haven't).
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Compiling_Autumn
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Compiling_Autumn » Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:22 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/06/26/the-true-detective-bootleg-dvd-cover-is-amazing/

:hitthetable:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Okay, can't say I exactly have high hopes for S2 now: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/24/colin-farrell-confirmed-and-vince-vaughn-announced-for-true-detective/

I can't stand Colin Farrell. I just get this dirty, grimey vibe whenever I see him on-screen. The bits of story teased so far do sound interesting, however.

"Touch Darkness and Darkness Touches You"

...takes place in bright daylight, with the Eiffel Tower in the background.
"The will to lose one's will?"
"Absolutely. The will to make oneself completely free. Will is the wrong word, because in the end you could call it despair. Because it really comes out of an absolute feeling of it's impossible to do these things, so I might as well just do anything. And out of this anything, one sees what happens."--Francis Bacon

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:05 pm

More castings news: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/09/25/rachel-mcadams-likely-female-lead-for-true-detective-season-2/

I'm indifferent to McAdams but I'd really like to see Taylor Kitsch get the fourth lead.
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:06 pm

When was the last time Vaughn did a serious role? 97 with the lost world jurassic park?
I'm very very interested to see what he brings.

Would be Very very happy to see McAdams cast. I was a big fan of her in state of play with crowe and affleck

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:19 pm

Colin Farrell can be very good when he's properly motivated (see: In Bruges) so I think he'll be fine. Vince Vaughn may primarily be known as a comedian but he's one of those comedians who can actually act, so I'm not worried about him either. I haven't seen Rachel McAdams in anything but from what I here she's a decent enough choice.

It may not be anyone's dream cast, but Matthew McConaughey wasn't really considered a premier talent until 2012 and True Detective and Dallas Buyer's Club is what made him into the superstar he is now. Of course, Cary Fukunaga isn't involved in this season and that's the fact that worries me the most.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Sep 27, 2014 5:09 pm

I watched the entire season from start to finish, with no breaks, last night. What started as really quite promising, ending up being one of the most monotonous viewings by the end; I was literally checking the time left on each of the later episodes, in hopes it would be over soon.

It began with "Rust" banging on about all sorts of nihilistic truths and Marty failing to grasp, or even care for it. I thoroughly appreciated that while Rust got to the grim fact-of-the-matter, Marty was always there to offer a simpler, somewhat more contented view on things - regardless of how false it was. The symbols were interesting enough, and wondering who is covering for who started out as somewhat pleasurable - in the same way you might enjoy giving your grand-father a chicken scratch.

If you don't want to know the disappointing truth then don't click this  SPOILER: Show
I didn't want everything to be explained; I didn't want all the symbols to be tied up neatly. Yet, whilst the show clearly tried to avoid clearing it all up, as if to prove a point to the viewer looking too deeply or expecting a typically fictitious situation, it ended up doing exactly that. It essentially told us that all these symbols and references mean nothing - they're just links in the murders, concocted up by some "white trash" paedophile with little else in his life. Nice little ribbon.

The prison suicide was just pointless. It offered nothing. It proved nothing. It may as well have not been there. Likewise with Marty's "messed up" daughter. Why was she drawing such sexual images? Why did she become a "slut"? What was the point in it being there? It offered no character development, and the pay-off was just a scene of Marty beating up much more feeble "boys" than himself - because his daughter enjoys sex and he couldn't cope with it. He's a vile individual with a bland sense of justice while they remain run of the mill idiots. Marty, nothing - horny boys, two.

I was horrified that the main culprit behind the twisted game of symbology was... once again... some southern, white trash paedophile. How utterly boring. Of course he would be slightly deranged, strange quirks, be grotesquely overweight and be giving it to his, even more vile, sister—sorry, half-sister—amidst piles of typical hoarder, hillbilly-incest crap.

Not that rich white men doing satanic rituals and interfering with children, whilst covering it all up with their money, would have been any better. We could have at least got a look at the inner workings of the mind. It could have at the very least been a truly intelligent individual with a warped view. A little more attractive, perhaps.

There was the "teased" twist that Rust was actually a wrong-doer, that was then teased with the idea that these Gilbough and Papania (who has a disgusting attitude problem, calls other men "white man", and is all too eager to call out others as racists - oh joy) were covering for the "true" criminals. Only for everyone to end up a good guy; I mean everyone.

Marty is visited by his wife in the hospital, who brings the children, extends her hands with her wedding and engagement rings on; as if it was subtle. Clearly Marty gets his happy ending. The biggest kick in the teeth, however, had to be Rust finding "god". I almost threw up my morals. Of course the nihilist would find comfort; of course he would end with an optimistic—more optimistic than his once god-loving but still god-believing partner, causing giggles for those smart enough to catch the irony—view on life, and give a little one liner about how good is ultimately winning. That's what [s]character development[/s] tradition [s]fiction[/s] means.

Before going into it, I had read it was the most intelligent show to have ever been on television. If that is the case then I think the honourable thing for our species to do is to deny our programming. Stop reproducing, and walk hand in hand into extinction.

I don't do reviews [s]but if I did, they'd probably be the best reviews in the world[/s] but after hearing so much praise for something that turned out to be so mediocre, I had to point out the absurdity of it all.

Episodes 1 - 5: 9/10
Episodes 6 - 8: 4/10

Everybody's clever nowadays.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Return to “Film and Video”