Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 9:34 pm

https://m.facebook.com/MikeMignola1/pos ... 6693977521

OH MAH GAAAAAAAAAAAAWD!

Hellboy is getting a Reboot. Neil Marshall (Director of several episodes of Game Of Thrones, as well as horror movie The Descent) is going to be involved.

And it's going to be RATED R. Yes. YES.

Don't get me wrong I would have loved to see you 3rd Del Toro Hellboy movie. But between his busy schedule and Ron Perlman not getting any younger a reboot is probably the best option at this point.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 08, 2017 9:45 pm

Jesus, Ray. It's like you see an R rating and immediately lose all reason. This is terrible -- there's no way it will live up to del Toro's and Perlman's take on the story, and now any chance of their involvement going forward has been squashed. What a waste.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 10:15 pm

There are plenty of scenes in the comic book that wouldn't be able to make it to the big screen without an R rating.

In the comics Hellboy suffers a lot of gruesome injuries. In the comics he has suffered injuries including but not limited to

Being impaled by a zombie Crusader, chewed up and spat out by a giant demon posessed Iron Maiden, having Nails drilled into his hea, having his stone hand cut off ( in a inner monologue) and a cultist hold it up over his head with the blood dripping.

Getting into serious spoiler territory

SPOILER: Show
Hellboy has one of his eyes ripped out if his socket. And Is killed by Hecate the queen of hell by having his heart ripped out of his chest.

And that's not even mentioning things like the Nazi cultists being turned into frog people in a terrifying Cronenbergian sequence, the Fae abducting and killing/re placing human babies, the Nazis using the Severed heads of Jewish psychics to power their lovecraftian radio machine to contact the dead gods.

Or thematic issues that require an RRating. Like Hellboy literally being the Antichrist. The nihilistic lovecraftian monstrosities. Or using Biblical characters like King Solomon and Jesus in somewhat blasphemous context. That would definitely anger the Evangelical crowd if it was a PG-13 movie.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 10:17 pm

I've heard Del Toro has plans for an adaptation of The Count of Monte Cristo. I'd rather he do that than another hellboy, to tell the truth.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Postby Reichu » Mon May 08, 2017 10:59 pm

Feels like ever since Del Toro became a hot director, it's just been one drawn-out debacle of wasted time and potential. Sigh.
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft, 09/?? chapters done. Ch.10 coming soon.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Mon May 08, 2017 11:13 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Gambit has always been a nothing character. Jim Lee introduced him as a guy who looked cool and never really went beyond that, and this shows with the fact that he's never been able to hold his own solo series and his background's an utter mess. First he's a traitor, then he's working with Mr. Sinister, then he's off with the Externals, and on and on and on. He's all flash and no substance, and that's why people want to connect to him but ultimately find they can't. The tortured soul schtick just doesn't work unless you can back it up with something genuine.

I haven't had too much experience with him but I will say he had a really well done father/big brother figure thing going on with X-23 in her 2010 series & the Daken issues that tied into it for a arc.
And I've heard nothing but praise for his 17 issue 2012 series.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 09, 2017 12:11 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Feels like ever since Del Toro became a hot director, it's just been one drawn-out debacle of wasted time and potential. Sigh.

Maybe he needs the same thing that M Night needed, to get knocked down some pegs and do some low budget back to basics flicks.

Split was phenomenal (and technically fodder for this thread...)

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Postby Reichu » Tue May 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Shyamalan was allowed to leave a long trail of reasons why intervention was badly needed. Del Toro was repeatedly thwarted from pursuing projects that would take greatest advantage of his strengths. Your comment befuddles.
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft, 09/?? chapters done. Ch.10 coming soon.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue May 09, 2017 7:29 pm

Clearly you haven't seen CRIMSON PEAK is you're saying Del Toro needs to go back to basics.
Also, he's releasing THE SHAPE OF WATER this December which is very much a classic Del Toro project.
If anything Del Toro has gone "back to basics" since Pacific Rim.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue May 09, 2017 7:38 pm

^ it's a crying shame Crimson Peaks didn't do so well at the box office ( I didn't even know he directed it until after the fact due to poor marketing). I really wanted him to get around to directing that Haunted Mansion reboot for Disney.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue May 09, 2017 8:22 pm

I have, actually.

I liked it when I was watching it, but the more I think about it the more I dislike it. The plot is nonsensical, the ghosts don't really contribute to the story, the main character is a moron, and it does the whole leaving the supernatural open to the imagination thing very poorly- for that to work its magic you have to give the audience just enough information to indicate there's something coherent behind the magic without revealing what it is. Everything ghost-related in Crimson Peak just seems randomly chosen.

It's an exercise in style over substance.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Tue May 09, 2017 10:26 pm

Same with Pacific Rim IMO. The worldbuilding was bad, the main lead was boring, and the waste of the supporting characters was a goddamn crime. There were so many missteps in that movie that it was downright shocking.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 10, 2017 11:08 am

I can forgive all of Pacific Rim's excesses for the sheer joy that went into its creation and for the final scene.

SPOILER: Show
"We mecha melded so we're in a relationship now right?"

"Nope!"

"Okay fine then"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat May 13, 2017 12:47 am

We've got trouble

http://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-james-mc ... &view=list

James McAvoy may not be coming back for another X-Men movie. At the very least he's not going to be in X-Men: The New Mutants.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 13, 2017 12:56 am

That's a shame, but to be honest I'd rather Fox continue what they've been successfully doing with the last couple movies and recast everyone every time and set the story they're adapting in the era that feels best/when it was originally published. I love superhero period pieces.

Take the continuity in your hands, Fox. Do it. Let it go.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 am

Moriarty in an open letter to Fox criticizing their mistreatment of the X-Men. Said it best.

" the X-Men are one of the most flexible genre properties I've ever seen. You can rotate cast, characters and setting without sacrificing continuity. This already put the franchise Miles ahead of things like the James Bond films and you can see the legs on that one. "

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat May 13, 2017 1:23 am

View Original PostRay wrote:We've got trouble

http://www.cbr.com/new-mutants-james-mc ... &view=list

James McAvoy may not be coming back for another X-Men movie.

Not really sure how you got that, as that link only says he won't be in the New Mutants movie. Which makes sense since it's an adaptation of The Demon Bear Saga, which doesn't have a significant role for Xavier to begin with. Reading anything into it beyond that seems unwarranted.

So no, no trouble.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 13, 2017 1:35 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Moriarty in an open letter to Fox criticizing their mistreatment of the X-Men. Said it best.

" the X-Men are one of the most flexible genre properties I've ever seen. You can rotate cast, characters and setting without sacrificing continuity. This already put the franchise Miles ahead of things like the James Bond films and you can see the legs on that one. "

Continuity is bad.

Well, the nerd subculture version is. The kind where the characters wear the same clothes in the same scene is okay.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon May 15, 2017 9:58 pm

http://splashreport.com/exclusive-hot-r ... gue-twice/

Rumor mill is at it again. But given the edits to Suicide Squad in post, I wouldn't be surprised if there was some validity to this. But we won't know if they're true until after the film comes out.

Justice league allegedly went through (in the words of the article) TWO "complete overhauls" mid-production.

I called it people. Prepare for Incoming mood whiplash and tonal inconsistency. :facepalm:

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon May 15, 2017 11:13 pm

That's like saying Drumpf won't say something stupid this week. It's a given.

The DC Cinematic Universe isn't dead though. I think once they move past the garbage Zack Snyder* has been putting out should brighten up relatively quick. Critics are embargoed on WONDER WOMAN right now but a few I've spoken with in person have said good things. Not great. But good.

*I'll be beyond shocked if Snyder gets to come back for his proposed "Justice League Part II: Darkseid Comes to Town" movie. WB is not going to repeat the mistake they made before with Justice League & have a sequel already deep in production the week the predecessor hits theaters. Snyder's job on JL was safe because when Batman V. Superman hit theaters he was already on location with 1,000 crew members & an expensive cast a few days from shooting. They'll wait & see how JL does this November (note: I don't think it will do well because Disney will beat it to theaters with THOR 3 & then a few days after JL hits theaters they'll steal the family audience - besides racists - with the new Pixar release COCO) before they move on another project.

Return to “Film and Video”