Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 1:01 pm

The Zod thing deserved a movie too. I felt the rushed way it was handled robbed it of the gravitas it deserved and if Superman isn't a beloved public figure yet what's the point of bringing in Evil Superman?

What they need to do is: stick to one question or theme per movie.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 07, 2017 1:18 pm

Right. So we'd have MoS which is just about Superman becoming Superman, MoS 2 which would be Zod, a separate Batman movie establishing him as cynical but not a casual murderer, and then the Doomsday plot which is triggered by someone other than Luthor and brings in Diana. Then we have a proper setup for the League and all the other solo movies.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 1:29 pm

I think you'd be better off with a solo Luthor movie and then the Luthor-Zod team up. Skip Doomsday entirely, he's redundant.

The conspiracy plot in BvS was silly. They should have done a supervillain team up- Joker and Luthor and throw in Intergang since Darkseid is pretty much where they're going with this.

If they make Darkseid into Doomsday wearing a skirt I'm going to be sad.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 07, 2017 1:36 pm

I don't think Luthor can carry a movie on his own (unless you want him being the deuteragonist in MoS or something).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 2:05 pm

That'd work.

I like Luthor more as the real challenge for Superman, the face of a corrupt system that he can't just super-feat away.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun May 07, 2017 2:23 pm

Chuck they did have that Superman movie it was called Superman Returns and everyone hated it.

We didn't need a separate movie for each x man before we finally got the X-Men movie. We didnt need a separate movie for Miriam explaining her story and character before we had an Indiana Jones movie. Why is everyone so adamant for slow-burn development when it isn't even that necessary? You can have an Ocean's Eleven movie without having a separate movie for each character on the team.

I generally agree Dc does need to slow down because it doesn't look like a superhero movie bubble is going to pop any time soon. But you don't need slow-burn storytelling over the course of 7 movies to "justify" things. It's not the kiss of death everyone on this website seems to think it is.

Whatever it's clear I'm not going to change anyone's mind there's no point to it. Just like it's clear there's no hope for anything.
Last edited by Ray on Mon May 08, 2017 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 pm

People hated Superman Returns because it was a weird campy throwback sequel to a movie that came out in 1981 and decided to make Superman a the deadbeat father of a child whose mother would have to have been around 16, and an ace Pullitzer winning reporter, when said child was conceived.

The example you're citing here has nothing to do with what I'm talking about. At all. Lex Luthor in Returns is the same campy character from the Reeve movies.

It actually has a really interesting premise that would perfectly suit the themes of Man of Steel, much better than shoehorning Zod into it. Luthor stealing Kryptonian technology is a great idea and totally wasted on the "land is the only thing they're not making more of!" camp from the old movies.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sun May 07, 2017 7:00 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That'd work.

I like Luthor more as the real challenge for Superman, the face of a corrupt system that he can't just super-feat away.

Ironically, most of Batman's plot in BvS would work great as a Luthor plot, since Batman's motivations re: Superman in BvS are exactly identical to those of Luthor over much of his existence. Luthor really and truly believes he's defending the Earth when he tries to take out Superman; there's no way to hold him accountable for his actions, and humanity's options should Clark decide he doesn't like us amount to jack and shit. Give Luthor that Batman plot in BvS and everything would be right as rain.

View Original PostRay wrote:i generally agree Dc does need to slow down because it doesn't look like a superhero movie bubble is going to pop any time soon. But you don't need slow-burn storytelling over the course of 7 movies to "justify" things. It's not the kiss of death everyone on this website seems to think it is.

Yes, it can work, when it's done well. DC hasn't been doing it well. Bringing everyone together early on works when there's a clear purpose to the film, but when you're juggling 3-4 plots simultaneously it just becomes an unrecognizable mess (which is exactly what the theatrical BvS was -- even movieartman admitted the theatrical edition had problems, which should tell you something).

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Postby Reichu » Sun May 07, 2017 7:37 pm

I put on Superman Returns for the hell of it one day, enjoyed myself enough for what it was to have no major complaints. Tried watching Superman 1 and 2 after that... Yikes. Even nostalgia for the first one couldn't make those viewings fun.
Crying Man (Or, How Misato's Dad Found God): Read at AO3 & Discuss Here.
Status: First Draft, 09/?? chapters done. Ch.10 coming soon.

"Fighting idiocy is like fighting a hydra. Cut off one head, two more grow back and need to tell you their uninformed opinion." - PeeJee, Something*Positive

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 07, 2017 9:20 pm

The difference between the silver age feel of comics and the bronze/modern age feel we're used to in modern comics movies is pretty stark.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 08, 2017 7:43 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Absolutely no idea what gave you that notion, they seem to be handling the WW1 aspect completely realistically, especially compared to the cheap armor & laser gun using Nazis of Cap TFA (which I liked mind you, but I appreciate the authentic feel this has more so)

The link I provided details how "Realism" is not synonymous with "realistic." If you don't know what I'm taking about, it's because you're cool mistaking two entirely different ideologies when approaching narrative as though thy were one.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 08, 2017 3:19 pm

It still looks good, but a lot of footage is re-used and it doesn't really have a singular moment or focus that would really make me want to watch it. We haven't seen anything of Ares, the supposed central antagonist.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm glad they're keeping that for the movie. That was a big mistake with the BVS trailers, IMHO.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon May 08, 2017 3:59 pm

Lets try to avoid ripping each other apart for disagreements over things that don't matter.

. . . anyways, Doug Liman was originally going to direct the upcoming X-men Gambit spinoff. But left the movie because he apparently "didn't feel a personal connection to it."

http://screenouts.info/gambit-doug-lima ... tion-film/

Does he really mean this though, or is this PR spin? Fox does have a bad history with executive meddling damaging their X-Men movie-verse, the issues facing the Gambit movie could be evidence that the controlling nature that resulted in misfires like X3, Origins Wolverine, and Fant4stic is still alive and well at Fox.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:06 pm

Some X-Men can carry a film on their own and some can't, and I'd put Gambit in the "can't" category.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon May 08, 2017 4:34 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'm glad they're keeping that for the movie. That was a big mistake with the BVS trailers, IMHO.

Well, focusing on the villains might be another part of what's holding these movies back. In DC history, many fans enjoy Batman stories for the villains. The same could be said for Superman's many foes. But DC is trying to establish the Justice League, a team full of heroes, not villains. Advertising the movies with a focus on the villains is a misguided approach when aiming towards this goal. So these trailers focusing on WW herself and not all of her crazy villain characters is 100% the best way to approach marketing this movie.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 08, 2017 4:39 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Some X-Men can carry a film on their own and some can't, and I'd put Gambit in the "can't" category.

Gambit has always been a nothing character. Jim Lee introduced him as a guy who looked cool and never really went beyond that, and this shows with the fact that he's never been able to hold his own solo series and his background's an utter mess. First he's a traitor, then he's working with Mr. Sinister, then he's off with the Externals, and on and on and on. He's all flash and no substance, and that's why people want to connect to him but ultimately find they can't. The tortured soul schtick just doesn't work unless you can back it up with something genuine.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 4:42 pm

The only thing I know about Gambit is he wants to touch Rogue's boobies but he can't because she got a pretty shitty mutation.

You know, the character being completely hollow doesn't mean the movie will automatically be bad. If they go "Okay, he's a Cajun, can make things explode by touching them, and he's a snarky ladies man" they can start from that and spin an interesting story.

I think he'd be great for an early 90s period piece heist film, but with mutants. Stealing a macguffin for Mister Sinister or something. Gambit is the master thief who puts together a team with highly specific powers for specific tasks until all goes south. Maybe the macguffin owners have hired Juggernaut for security or something.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Mon May 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Villain protagonist? I suppose that could work, given the success of heist films generally. It'd certainly be a more coherent take on the character than anything we got in the books.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 pm

I've like superhero movies overall to really branch out away from "there's a blue beam s hooting into a portal and by jingo we're going to punch the shit out of whoever is responsible".

There's so much more they can do with them.

Also yeah: I love prison break movies, heist films, and villain protagonists. Villains are so much fun, sometimes as fun or more fun than heroes, just let them shine.

Return to “Film and Video”