Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

Re: Superhero Films & TV

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Apr 11, 2017 3:12 am

On the topic of the Thor: Ragnarok trailer, I thought the most surprising thing about it is the use of Led Zeppelin's Immigrant Song. The band seldom ever allows the film/tv industries to use their stuff (Jack Black & the cast of School of Rock made a video in which they begged the band for their permission to use the song in the film, iirc it's included on the DVD extras) let alone marketing material. I'm going to go out on a limb though and say that the tune fits, for sure, and I'll be pleasantly surprised if it finds a good spot in the final film.

I'll add that I've only seen the second Thor film, and only because it happened to be on TV a year ago when my Uncle was visiting, and so ... it was what we watched. I would admit it had some entertaining moments, though overall it was okay. I'd be interested to see how this third installment pans out, particularly given the absence of the Earth-based plotlines of the previous two installments.
Be very, very quiet - I'm back.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:45 pm

There's too many movies about space gods or giant robots from space that don't take place in space and focus on boring humans instead.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Midnights Edge talk about DC and WB 'debunking' the 'four Batman movies in 2019' , and why parts of it don't add up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAamgAsnKvM

I really hope it's not true. I mean C'mon DC. I understand BVS wasn't the critical darling you wanted. But wasn't the whole point of the DC cinematic universe to put the characters that weren't batman? You have 9 Movies starring Batman as the main character, a whole bunch of cartoons, two successful live action TV shows, a whole bunch of successful cartoons and videogames. I think the general public is pretty much sold on the concept of ''Rich Guy who dresses like a Bat and beats up a clown." Does WB REALLY need to put this much effort into giving more publicity to the fucking BATMAN?

DC. You can AFFORD to take a break from the Batman. Not forever, just a few years and try build up other IPs and characters.

2018 is supermans 80th and what does the WB and DC have planned to honor the first and most important Superhero? Nothing. Yet the BATMAN gets FOUR movies?

Damn, when people say there's no hope. . .
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:50 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:am pretty confident James Wan will make a solid Aquaman movie

I genuinely like that despite our harsh difference in opinion on the rest of the universe, we can agree on this. ^_^

On that note, Heard made me extremely happy by posting....
SPOILER: Show

The new 52 had problems but almost everything related to Aquaman was not among them. Their portrayal of her & her & Arthur's relationship I fell incredibly in love with in Johns run. They really made a effort to give her a ton of page time & made them seem like real equals in the book & that is very much what I hope to see on film.

silvermoonlight
Ramiel
Ramiel

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:am pretty confident James Wan will make a solid Aquaman movie.

My only concern with aquaman is the actor Jason Momoa and I only say this because the Conan reboot was an epic disaster and though the studio should take the full blame for poor script and poor directing it can not be over looked that he just didn't carry this role and he's has been playing the same kind of characters since Stargate Atlantis and if his character does not have the softer more compassionate side shown in some of the marvel universe characters people might really dislike him as he might come off as cold and uncaring. Though I do have hope that in the justice league movie the director will push him hard as hell and really help him get in to this role ready for the stand alone movie.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:12 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:My only concern with aquaman is the actor Jason Momoa and I only say this because the Conan reboot was an epic disaster and though the studio should take the full blame for poor script and poor directing it can not be over looked that he just didn't carry this role and he's has been playing the same kind of characters since Stargate Atlantis and if his character does not have the softer more compassionate side shown in some of the marvel universe characters people might really dislike him as he might come off as cold and uncareing. Though I do have hope that in the justice league movie the director will push him hard as hell and really help him get in to this role ready for the stone alone movie.

I have heard his acting in Frontier is good, the soft side will probably come from his interaction with Mera and according to a leak in JL his dad will have just died so he is emotionally dealing with that hence his at first dismissal of Bruce.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:59 pm

More Aquaman news, Dolph Lundgren will play King Nereus of Xebel, a neighboring underwater kingdom. The report describes Nereus as a fellow suitor of Heard’s Mera, who “claims Mera as his own and wants to kill Aquaman.”

Damn they are stacking up a bunch of villains for this thing. Hopefully Ocean Master will be a ally in this so Manta has time to be explored.

At this point, short term I am most excited for Thor 3. And long term for Aquaman & Black Panther.

Stillborn
Pilot
Pilot

Postby Stillborn » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:12 pm

Maybe a wrong topic, since it's not a Film or TV series, but one of the absolutely best Superhero related stories is a webnovel "Worm"

It's like a Marvel, Game of Thrones and Eva mashed together. Extremely dark, bleak and gutpunching. But unlike Eva it's damn unpredictible (The authore even rolled a dice to decide outcome at one chapter) and kept me guessing to the very end. It's freakishly long read and it took me about a month to finish it. Yet despite all the heartwrenching and depressing themes I don't feel like I wasted any time with it. So I strongly recommend this.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:55 pm

I don't blame Momoa for Conan being a bad movie. It was very badly written and any Conan movie that takes the "origin story" route is going to go up against the Schwarzenegger/Milius film, and you just can't. It's lightning in a bottle, a lyrical operatic film with deep philisophical themes that has a lead actor who barely spoke English at the time and has a total of 13 lines, yet carries the film through sheer presence and charisma. That, and because of the way R ratings have shifted, in order to have the right feel for a modern audience a newly made Conan movie would have to have much more graphic violence and overt nudity and sexuality than that movie was willing to bring to the table. Also, Arnold works because he's not a sword and sorcery actor, Conan and its sequels and one spinoff were the only real fantasy movies he was in outside of a grade Z low budget Hercules movie almost no one has ever seen.

He could be good as Aquaman if they give him something to work with. If they don't he's just going to feel generic, because while he is a huge dude and he can act pretty well, he just doesn't have the presence that some other actors have. He feels generic, like a few pegs above Kevin Sorbo.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:55 am

So I just saw a bonus feature for Judas contract .

Bruce Timm is directing another direct to dvd movie set in the DCAU. And well . . . This happens in it.

SPOILER: Show

That's right. HARLEY RAPES NIGHTWING.

Bruce timm, you've killed my childhood.

Dc, I think it's time you staged an intervention. Bruce Timm has officially lost his marbles.
Last edited by Ray on Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:22 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Bruce timm, you've killed my childhood.

Why? It's a different continuity, so who cares? Slade's and Terra's motivations are different, Dick's already Nightwing, Cyborg and Donna Troy aren't even in it, Blue Beetle and Damian Wayne are in it . . . really, the whole mess is so unrecognizable that I have trouble seeing how it would affect anyone's memories or appreciation of the original work.

(though if you're comparing to the rest of the DCAU rather than to the original Judas Contract, never mind.)
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

You are mistaken this isn't in the movie itself, this is in an upcoming movie. This was part of an ad, a trailer.

But this is a bonus feature advertising an upcoming movie set in the dcau, sometime between the events of Justice League and Return of the joker. This is not in the Judas contract movie itself.

It's called Batman and Harley Quinn and yes it is set in the same continuity as Batman the Animated Series, Superman: the Animated SSeriee and Justice League Unlimited.

And I thought Bruce Timm making Batgirl induce a miscarriage by proxy when she got pregnant with Bruce's baby was a screwed up thing to do to the dcau.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:50 am

Clearly not enough people bought the animated Adam West Batman movie in order to support the hero that Gotham needs right now.

Also, is it in canon with OG Teen Titans? That's become the only D.C. series I care about anymore.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:.

Also, is it in canon with OG Teen Titans? That's become the only D.C. series I care about anymore.

Yes. No. Kinda. It's complicated to say the least.

Generally speaking it's accepted that the dcau and the Teen Titans animated series take place in separate continuities. But a Teen Titans team did exist in the dcau ( Batman mentions it during his crossover with static shock) , and Green Arrow's sidekick Speedy did show up in the Justice League Unlimited TV show voiced by his Teen Titans voice actor and with a character design that is very similar to the Teen Titans one.

This video explains the discontinuity better than I could.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dq_iPC0dQGY

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:51 pm

I'll watch that at a later time. Thanks!
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is alright. It doesn't have anywhere near as much magic or surprise as the first one does - how could it really? - but if you're already drinking the Marvel is the best Kool-Aid it is a film that will work magic for you. It's certainly better than Avengers: Age of Ultron, Ant-Man & especially Captain America: Civil War - all movies proclaimed to be the new coming of cinematic Christ - so this will be HUGE.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Postby movieartman » Wed May 03, 2017 10:09 am

Defenders trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h3m7B4v6Zc

Danny looks much better with the shorter beard/hair. I hope Weaver's villain will get fleshed out comparably to Fisk.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Postby Bagheera » Wed May 03, 2017 10:45 am

That looks great! I like the chemistry between them, it works really well. Very hyped for this.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Wed May 03, 2017 8:15 pm

Like the Defenders Trailer. Love the use of Nirvana. Love how Electra's outfit has more red in it this time around.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri May 05, 2017 12:42 am

http://batman-news.com/2017/05/05/wonde ... the-movie/

New clip from Wonder Woman released online. Thoughts? Is there anyone here who can actually be optimistic about a DC movie for once?

Return to “Film and Video”