Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Superhero Films & TV

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:02 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:1 - the arrival of an Ultimate Evil mostly done through piss poor exposition
2 - tonally different Mad Max like dream sequences
3 - & an appearance by the Flash through a worm hole six films from now that can only be described as nonsensical
4 - AND the film still needed have the good guys come together through a poorly developed commonality (SAVE MARTHA! lol)
5 - & an even poorly conceived evil threat - a cave troll or Doomsday I guess
6 - AND handle the Death of Superman
7 - At least in Iron Man 2's defense we have a solid idea of who Tony Stark is from the first film

1 - Its intentionally suppose to be vague and foreboding, that is the entire point.
2 - How was it tonally different? It was just as dour as the rest of the film.
3 - I agree the "was it in a dream or was it not" was nonsensical, but I think its easily explained away that the Flash wasn't fully able to tear into our dimension so the dimensional ripples bled into Bruce's dream.
4 - They didn't come together over the commonality, the came together because Batman realized how badly he overreacted to some ill informed assumptions he made about Superman and the nature of his connections to humanity.
5 - Why was that poorly conceived? Him being the creation of Lex isn't any worse a origin then him being a runaway alien weapon.
6 - Which was the only rational way to prove to the population of this dark paranoid world that Clark's intent was good once and for all.
7 - I knew exactly who Clark is after Mos. A indecisive realist hero who inherently wants to help people but is held back out of fear of causing more harm then good indirectly, a person who after years of taking abuse has a bit of pent up rage/spite in him but still avoids punching down directly when possible, a person who deeply appreciates trust being put in him which he doesn't expect to get.
If you don't think that is "superman" enough, fine but don't tell me he wasn't a fully 3d character.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:11 pm

I'll tell you a secret:

Never conceal information from an audience.

You want to get us hyped about the Fourth World and Darkseid? Show us the Fourth World and Darkseid. Don't jerk us off with "are those parademons" and "what the fuck is that thing?" etc.

Also they're going to trash the classic Kirby design which is a shame. Thor shows how well they actually translate to the screen.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:18 pm

Life is a wonderful gift that should be cherished.

It is far too short of a treasure to be wasted on whether Batman V Superman was a good or bad movie.
Especially when it's a given that it's awful.

Moving on - so how about that Nightwing movie eh?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:19 pm

@gendospapa

I'm just saying they could have made a Justice League movie first and it wouldn't have necessarily been the kiss of death you think it would have been. You don't need to make 10 movies to make a team-up movie. Nobody complained when the X-Men movie didn't have a cyclops storm and or Wolverine Solo movie before the first Xmen .
Granted that was before the superhero genre exploded the way it did. . .

Edit: also if you're going to criticize be vs you can at least try not to be a total d#ck To the people who did like it and defend it.

@movieartman

You and I like bvs everyone else hates it, just let it be. If they weren't fans of it before nothing you say is going to convince them otherwise.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:51 pm

If I came across as dickish that was not my intention. I'm just a very snarky & sarcastic person.
In the end the key thing to remember is a taste in film is just that, a preference. It should never be taken as a personal assault. I never have a lesser view of a person based on what films they like or don't like - example, I LOVE Alien Resurrection, Oliver Stone's Alexander & Independence Day: Resurgence, all movies that the world at large considers complete garbage.
So yeah, I didn't like Batman V. Superman.... at all. I personally find it's "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" story combined with it's ponderous "So Serious" attitude makes it a lesser film than Batman & Robin which at least is trying to have fun. But my saying so & engaging in a discussion about the qualities or lack thereof in the film should never be taken as a personal attack & if that was the case I apologize. Here's a positive on BvS - I genuinely enjoyed Jesse Eisenberg's wonky Lex Luthor because the actor clearly was going for full camp & just trying to have fun. Is he a character from a drastically different movie, yes, is that a movie I would have much rather seen, absolutely. I also can't critique the cinematography by Larry Fong which is very good on a technical level & while the character & art design pales next to Marvel I will say the DC films have a nicer visual look than the majority of the Marvel films (Iron Man, Guardians of the Galaxy & Doctor Strange aside).
But at a certain point it should just be excepted that a bad movie is a bad movie. I won't argue with someone if they say Alien Resurrection is shit because in all honesty it kinda is. But I get a lot of out that film & that's where it stands in my eyes.

Anywho, I'll back out of this conversation. A bad movie is a bad movie. No one is saying a person can't enjoy a bad film but no amount of "if you connect this very loose thread with X & this comic from 30 years ago it all makes sense" can save it. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy it.

Now excuse me, I think I'm gonna go watch Showgirls, an absolute disaster that I enjoy every glorious bad second of.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:37 pm

Affleck welcoming Reeves on board The Batman basically also confirming he is staying on.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/b ... ng-a149195

View Original PostRay wrote:If they weren't fans of it before nothing you say is going to convince them otherwise.

I'm less trying to convince anyone and more trying to understand some of the honestly perplexing complaints I have zero understanding of.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Plus I'm one of the stalwart Rebuild/3.0 supporters here.

As am I, much respect, glad we have that common ground. ^_^

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:If I came across as dickish that was not my intention. I'm just a very snarky & sarcastic person.
In the end the key thing to remember is a taste in film is just that, a preference. It should never be taken as a personal assault. I never have a lesser view of a person based on what films they like or don't like - example, I LOVE Alien Resurrection, Oliver Stone's Alexander & Independence Day: Resurgence, all movies that the world at large considers complete garbage.

Thank you for this. I didn't feel personally attacked but the assurance is appreciated.

I personally find it's "Everything but the Kitchen Sink" story combined with it's ponderous "So Serious" attitude makes it a lesser film than Batma & Robin which at least is trying to have fun.

See key point of divergence between us right there, I immeasurably more respect a film that takes itself seriously and possibly fails then a film that was trying to be dumb fun & fails

Batman & Robin for the record is the absolute single worst film I have ever seen, I can't think of a single positive thing to say about it besides Freeze's outfit being cool at the time but dated now & Cloony was a decent Bruce (hyper poor batman)

But looking forward as you wanted, I don't really have much Interest in a Nightwing movie. A Kate Kane Batwoman movie based of Elegy would be hype as fuck for me but that won't happen. :irked:

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:32 pm

Affleck welcoming Reeves on board The Batman basically also confirming he is staying on.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/b ... ng-a149195

Of course he's going to be in "The Batman". The issue is: Is going to keep being The Batman after "The Batman"?
If all else fails, I'm glad we'll get to see Affleck in at least one solo Batman movie.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:58 am

New Guardians trailer.
This one grabbed me more then any of the previous footage. The lack of a clear specific villain like Ronan is interesting & unique for the Marvel films.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=duGqrYw4usE

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:51 pm

Aquaman test footage...
SPOILER: Show

FUCK YES!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:56 pm

Deadpool 2 footage leaked. Watch before it's taken down.
https://streamable.com/aw9dd

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:03 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Deadpool 2 footage leaked. Watch before it's taken down.
https://streamable.com/aw9dd

It's not test footage, it's a trailer playing in theaters now. Good times.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:53 am

Or you know.... you could just just pay for a ticket to see LOGAN. It's playing in front of every print.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:33 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Aquaman test footage...

That silhouette, tho. It's very MST3K.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:09 pm

Ryan Reynolds posted the official Deadpool 2 trailer on his youtube page.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ezsReZcxU

The 70's Superman theme was removed and replaced with the theme to the 80's Classic St.Elmos Fire.

CommanderFish
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby CommanderFish » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:36 pm

movieartman wrote:Kurt Russell is Ego the living planet & Star Lord's father.

I just learned about this.
I know he's just a human in the trailer, but if by the end of this movie I don't see a planet with Kurt Russell's face on it, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.
"The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:43 pm

Wonder Woman apparently won over a Infamous dceu movie hater. Matt Goldberg of Collider movie news.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us
article jpg for convenience  SPOILER: Show

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:18 pm

That's good news, I guess. Especially since I learned that Cruel and Unusual Productions still was behind Wonder Woman. I love the production's name, and the logo is so darkly adorable, but it's Zack Snyder's company so I always get nervous about the narrative. So this review is good news.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Lots of Thor 3 pics...
Thor looks great.
Hela looks great (and sexy as hell)
I am fine with Tessa being cast, but she doesn't even faintly look like Valkyrie.
I get not giving her the boob plates out of "impracticality" but seriously they couldn't dye her hair blonde & give her giant long pigtails? Dejah Thoris had bare legs in John Carter & no one complained. Screw Disney.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:53 pm

They already screwed the pooch as hard as they could with Sif, so I'm not expecting them to get anyone right at this point.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:39 pm

Taika Waititi - What Do We Do In The Shadows?, Hunt For the Wilderpeople - is directing so as long as Marvel hasn't crushed his artistic tendencies enough this should be a film equal to the first Guardians of the Galaxy in regards to quality.

Of course that's a big if.

Return to “Film and Video”