Superhero Films & TV

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Superhero Films & TV

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:36 pm

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-v ... uel-974436

The director of Suicide Squad II may be. . .

Aheh. . .Mel Gibson WB?

MEL GIBSON!?
:mayano:
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:44 pm

I read that too earlier, and I was just like "whaa??" That doesn't seem like a good match at all, given Mel Gibson's personal style of filmmaking, although maybe I'm just ignorant of what the man can do when given strict studio boundaries, which he inevitably will have with SS2. At the very least, it sounds as interesting as it does bad, so I say let it happen.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."
"So you are saying it's the human heart that throws the world into confusion."

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:52 pm

Won't happen.

Gibson is an auteur director. He's not gonna step his foot into a universe that was already largely shaped and defined before he got into it. Plus, he's riding high enough on the praise from Hacksaw Ridge that he's pretty much officially back in the game at this point and has a lot more leverage over which projects he wants to work on.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:55 pm

Stranger things have happened.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!

People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Well, sure. Gibson's next big project may well be SugarTits: The Ballad of M and O.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:02 pm

Why are they still trying to make Suicide Squad work? I'm not saying the concept will never make a good movie. I actually think Suicide Squad can make for a great movie! But the logic they introduced in the first film to justify the premise wasn't.. logical.

Tolliver: "What if Superman had decided to fly down, rip off the roof of the White House, and grab the president right out of the Oval Office. Who would'a stopped him?"

Waller: "Well, clearly we need to build a team of The Joker's girlfriend, Captain Boomerang, Slipknot-"

Tolliver: "Why are you a part of this meeting, Ms. Waller?"

Waller: "But Harley Quinn can wield a mean baseball bat."

Tolliver: "Oh, now this makes sense. Why didn't you start with that?"

Like, I understand the US government wanting to use criminals to do their dirty work off the record. But I don't understand how they think that this is a group of people who can take down a member of the Kryptonian race, even though the US military had trouble confronting other member of the same race only two movies ago. This doesn't make sense to me. And especially seeing as how the whole conflict in Suicide Squad was started by the very formation of the Suicide Squad, I don't see anyone logically wanting to try that again.

Tolliver: "The Suicide Squad task force Amanda Waller set up turned a whole city into a ghost town and cost the US billions of dollars. If this were to happen again who would'a stopped them?"

Waller: "Well, clearly we need to build a team of The Joker's girlfriend, Captain Boomerang, Killer Croc-"

Tolliver: "Goddamit, Waller..."
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 pm

STOP. RUBBING. SALT. IN THE WOUND.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:19 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:STOP. RUBBING. SALT. IN THE WOUND.

Then stop picking at it. You brought it up, Ray -- if you can't handle honest criticism of the movies in question you shouldn't be participating in the thread.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:27 pm

I don't mean to be rubbing salt in the wound. I'm just wondering if SS2 will try to find a more logical framework around its creative IP, and, honestly, I'm a little surprised they're trying to go along with a sequel in the first place. The most logical thing for the studio to do in this case would simply be to scrap the SS sequels in favor of a Harley Quinn spin-off or a Deadshot spin-off or something.
The Sequels to Emmanuel God With Us
I AM
Part 1 | Part 2
Coming 2016
Watch Announcement Here

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:02 pm

Ray. I really must ask you to stop with the emotional outbursts. If you're not willing to participate in the discussion with a level head, please refrain from posting at all. Thank you.
"Chaos is merely a human construct. The world only knows its own natural law of harmony and order."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:39 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:
Tolliver: "What if Superman had decided to fly down, rip off the roof of the White House, and grab the president right out of the Oval Office. Who would'a stopped him?"

General: "None of these people."

You know what though?

The one person on the "team" that could stand up to Superman turns out to be the villain... and they actually do beat her. Waller kind of has a point.

Somewhere, hidden within the depths of Suicide Squad, is a good movie.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:46 pm

The Suicide Squad was formed as a countermeasure to supers, no? An attempt by the government to control a power beyond their own. They bit off a piece too large to chew by attempting to control Enchantress, so the general impression I get is that the government is using the best they're able to get their hands on. Waller's hypothetical is a good one, but there isn't a practical solution since they can't actually control supers to use against Superman.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:16 pm

I get that, but Superman was part of the sales pitch they made to get the whole Suicide Squad thing approved by the ubiquitous vague military men.
The true artist helps the world by revealing mystic truths.

"there are cracks in this timeline, void bubbling through. please remember that no matter what happens LOVE IS REAL" -Dr. Chuck Tingle, Ph. D

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:23 pm

Kerry Washington is rumored to be up for Domino.
I'm reasonably ok with diversity-washing, was fine with Jordan as Torch, was full on enthusiastic with Elba as Hemidall but Domino is specifically iconic for her sexy bleached white albino looking skin and I seriously doubt they will paint a black actress white so... with Domino being my 3rd favorite female comic character I can't support this choice.
Begging for Olivia Wilde.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Aside from that heated political discussion, I've always favored Dave Fleischer's interpretation of Superman over any others.

Agreed those were great.

I like how Superman's priorities are distinctly laid out in Dave Fleischer's work. Superman always saved people first, then after everyone's safety is confirmed he focuses on getting the bad guys. (Again, these priorities are repeated in Superman I & II, and they're awesome for doing that.)

View Original PostChuckman wrote:That's really the core problem of the movie: It focuses on stopping Zod over all else, not on protecting people.

Here is the key crux of divergence between us, I get wanting to see him save people but I just can't get how you guys can't see that in specific dire circumstances, stopping the threat MUST take priority. And stopping the threat IS saving lives.
The comparison to Superman 2 doesn't work, in that Zod & his goons are showboating and wanting to rule as dictators simply out of casual lust for power.
They are just toying around with Clark and humanity there is little urgency to the battle, In Mos Zod states that he intends to kill the human race 1 by 1 by hand out of spite. Superman CAN NOT break away from that fight with how fast Zod moves, the instant he would have tried to carry anyone Zod could have ripped them from his grasp, sneak attacked Clark or blitz attacked other civilians.
And if Zod didn't do any of those 3 things it would have broke the tension and made his rage when he stated his spiteful directive feel hollow.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:1 - I actually think Suicide Squad can make for a great movie! But the logic they introduced in the first film to justify the premise wasn't.. logical.
2 - And especially seeing as how the whole conflict in Suicide Squad was started by the very formation of the Suicide Squad

1 - That wasn't the team that was meant to take on Superman specifically, it was formed after his death, only the concept of the team was contemplated before hand.
2 - Waller fucking up or messing with the wrong people is often the cause of various SS missions in the comics.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:in favor of a Harley Quinn spin-off

Ayer is already officially doing Gotham City Sirens hence him not being available for SS2.

Calm down man, Mos is among my top favorite movies if anyone is getting personally offended it's me. :tongue:

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:20 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I get that, but Superman was part of the sales pitch they made to get the whole Suicide Squad thing approved by the ubiquitous vague military men.

I don't think they expected to be able to take down someone on the level of Superman right away, but they needed to start somewhere. Once they could prove to be able to control lesser supers, they could experiment with more powerful ones. Also remember that Waller's other big selling point was the Enchantress, since she was able to demonstrate control over a legitimately powerful being (and not just a sharpshooter and a crazy blonde in short shorts), and that only later proved to be a failure after the project was approved. Diablo was another legitimately powerful being, and with some more people like him on the team, the Suicide Squad would have a fighting chance against some of the lesser supers.

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:54 am

Mel Confirmed that the offer took place and refereed to it as a "first date". So a decision is still a ways away.
Variety reporter Justin Kroll also offered updates of his own on Twitter, noting that, “if Mel want it, it’s his,” referring of course to the director’s job. “While some might say he said he would never do a comic book movie, heard he is more intrigued by this cast then material,”

movieartman
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:19 am

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:01 pm

Let's be serious for a moment. How bad do Wonder Woman and Justice League have to flop for DC to consider rebooting again? Because the way things are going, maybe we should actively boycott to pressure them.

Look, I don't want to be one of those fanboys. But if the last two DC movies didn't connect with the mainstream, if this REALLY isn't the version of the DC universe, and the DC character most people want to see. If people really don't like dark superhero movies (or at least dark DC movies). Then the box office for Wonder Woman and Justice League should reflect that.

Yes, it sucks that Wonder Woman's big screen debut has to be chained down to what will likely be remembered as the biggest creative misfire in the history of movies. Yes, it sucks we'll never get to see Momoa as Aquaman or Ezra Miller as flash in their own movies. It sucks that Henry Cavill won't be able to give his version of Superman a definitive conclusion to his arc. It sucks we'll never get to see the elements that are set up in the first few movies expanded. Like the Codex in Superman's DNA, the post-apocalyptic nightmare future, The time-traveling Flash etc.

But given all the rumors and news about Wonder Woman and JL, given there's likely going to be a horrid case of mood whiplash with Geoff Johns making JL a movie about 'Hope and Optimism' it start contrast to DC's original vision (essentially trying to put a square peg into a round hole), and now with Ben Affleck the last bit of hope we had for this version of the DCEU wanting TO LEAVE?

I don't know guys. . . I just don't know. I tried.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:23 pm

The LEGO Batman Movie is 100 times better than anything in the ongoing DC Cinematic Universe. It also understands the character of Batman 100 times more than Zack Snyder's garbage film.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:58 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Look, I don't want to be one of those fanboys. But if the last two DC movies didn't connect with the mainstream, if this REALLY isn't the version of the DC universe, and the DC character most people want to see. If people really don't like dark superhero movies (or at least dark DC movies). Then the box office for Wonder Woman and Justice League should reflect that.

You are being one of those fanboys, and you're being ridiculous. The box office for Wonder Woman and Justice League should reflect how fans feel about those movies, period. If they're good movies that happen to be dark, fine. If they're good movies that aren't dark, and represent DC righting the ship, that's also fine. But either way they deserve our support as long as they're good movies. If they aren't? They get the same treatment as the others, and DC makes the best of it.

But given all the rumors and news about Wonder Woman and JL, given there's likely going to be a horrid case of mood whiplash with Geoff Johns making JL a movie about 'Hope and Optimism' it start contrast to DC's original vision (essentially trying to put a square peg into a round hole), and now with Ben Affleck the last bit of hope we had for this version of the DCEU wanting TO LEAVE?

WW and JL look like they'll stand on their own, shedding the baggage that weighed down MoS and BvS. There is no reason whatsoever why they have to be remotely consistent with those films in themes or tone, or why they (or we) should be hobbled by them in any way. They can be ignored as easily as crummy Star Trek movies or the Star Wars prequels.

I don't know guys. . . I just don't know. I tried.

You say that, but it sure doesn't look like it. Trying would be actually watching the films and seeing where DC is going from here, and whether or not they've learned from their mistakes. You're in no position to make that assessment now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”