Super Smash Bros

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:43 pm

View Original Postchazthesilencer wrote:1. It’s the side taunt, isn’t it? ~la-la-la-la lah la~

I thought it was hot. Pretty pink princess making fun of me? It's like a kinky game, where that's her way of asking for it. :devil:

Every time she does it, especially after kicking my ass, I like it.

2. Blimey, when it comes to spammers- Charizard players are the absolute worst.

I like spammers. They're like a practice mode. In all seriousness, though, I've never been bothered by any tactic, because if it works, it works, and you just need to figure out how to work around it.

Has anybody tried playing the Wii U version using a 3DS as a controller? Responsive enough?

I assumed that I would because of how well I felt the 3DS version controlled but then I played the Wii U version and now I'm like "Nope, not worth it".
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:30 pm

The moment I post something here about fighters whom I've never fought online, they come out of the woodwork in force. Holy crap.

*Ahem*, I fought a Luigi and a Duck Hunt, and they were...something. Luigi has a lot of openings to exploit, which clued me in why I don't see him much. The moment he starts trying to get really close to anyone is a huge giveaway as to what he's going to do. I still don't know what to think about Duck Hunt though in almost every aspect to him. Didn't pay too much attention as to how he fights.

Oh! And I actually fought some Japanese players today. It was actually the first time I'v ever seen anyone use Dark Pit and Palutena, which sort of amused me. I heard that DP was a popular character over there. Anyway, the Palutena player wasn't actually too bad. Spamming its (deceptively effective) standard special, she did pretty well for herself. Kind of nice to see other characters then LITTLE MAC and BOWSER and IKE for once.

1. It’s the side taunt, isn’t it? ~la-la-la-la lah la~

Its actually how her players fight. All of them stand on the very edge away from everyone else and then trying to (I have yet to see it be that effective) meteor smash someone down below. And the side special. ALWAYS the side special. Players of her and Zelda adopt the same stratgey, except the latter spams Dins fire. Incidentally, its easy to beat her in Sudden Death if she tries to use it.

2. Blimey, when it comes to spammers- Charizard players are the absolute worst.

I find that Bowser, Ike, and Charizard require the lowest level of play to be decent, which doesn't surprise me. Most of their attacks are near guarantee knock outs if your damage is high enough.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:23 am

^I find Ike difficult, but that's probably because I do best with quick characters with long-range attacks such as ZS Samus, Shulk and Link, and whenever I play Ike it's like hauling around a large boulder; I find Link has similar if not equal smash damage with his sword but also the bonus of speed, long-range grab, projectile attacks, and random projectile deflection on his shield while standing still.

On a side note, I've noticed that Meta Knight has been nerfed a lot, possibly because he was so OP in Brawl. Me and my sister faced a Meta Knight duo in For Fun Team Battle and managed to defeat them several times without too much difficulty. I also think that Mr. Game & Watch may be one of the most annoying characters in the game, if only because he possesses one of few moves that can insta-kill a low-damage opponent (his side special if it hits 9). While said move is rather random, I've found it usually lands on the knockout number a lot more than you'd expect, and it can be really annoying if you've got the upper hand but suddenly get hit with it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Heavy characters are generally more difficult to use once you're used to the relative responsiveness of lighter characters, yeah. Ike sort of plays like a faster King Dedede, in that you sort of have to know when to do what to maximize damage. I still prefer Dedede though, he's just got a lot more thud to him, which is immensely useful when everyone else has a lot of damage and are in a big neat pile. Getting three kills with one massive swing of the hammer is deeply satisfying. My favorite thing about the king is that a lot of his big attacks are almost guaranteed kills when someone is in the 70% range, and even lower then that if they're fairly light. Knocking a Pikachu out of the park when they're only around forty percent is something. The most effective move of his is his slide attack, since that's almost enough to kill opponents by itself!

The only major weak point I keep forgetting about him is his side special. Its quite useful in of itself and gets a decent amount of launch going if they're close, but the ability to send the gordo back at you has gotten me killed in a sudden death a couple of times.

EDIT: Ah yes, I forgot to mention. I fought my worst nightmare today, two Ikes and a spamming Charizard. I actually managed to win because they apprently sucked to kingdom come (And the Charizard ended up killing itself more often then not by missing everyone), but yeesh. I miss the Japanese players now. At least they're a little different.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:53 am

So im generally used to using my mains (lucina, zss, samus,robin) and i decided to try out shulk on classic today, OMG i suck at using him.
He is sooooo slow, he has a lot of smash potential but his speed just ruins it for me, at least with robin i have the benefit of being a ranged fighter, im probably playing him wrong but ugh.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:06 am

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:So im generally used to using my mains (lucina, zss, samus,robin) and i decided to try out shulk on classic today, OMG i suck at using him.
He is sooooo slow, he has a lot of smash potential but his speed just ruins it for me, at least with robin i have the benefit of being a ranged fighter, im probably playing him wrong but ugh.

Really? I find Shulk's speed pretty good, at least compared to Ike. Maybe not as fast as ZSS, but hardly the slowest in the game. Each to their own I guess, although you can use the Speed stance or Jump stance to increase Shulk's speed or recovery (not both at the same time) temporarily. Shulk doesn't have any ranged attacks but makes up for it with awesome range on his smash attacks and a great counter move, probably the best counter in the game IMO.

Have you tried Link ? I find him a lot better than Robin as a ranged/melee fighter, although since he's slower than Shulk you probably wouldn't have much fun with him.

And I'm nothing like you

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 27, 2014 9:09 am

I have never really found link fun, which is a shame as im a legend of zelda fan.
as for shulk i dont mean his movement speed, i mean his attack speed (yes even with the short lived speed form)
Something about it just feels.......off.

EDIT: trying to go for all 9.0 classic mode on the 3ds version of the game and jesus i forgot how hard master core is, only just managed to beat him on 8.5 with lucina (my main out of my mains)

The master giant form usually does a shitton of damage to me but never kills me, master beast has very telegraphed attacks and i can usually beat that form easily, master edge on the other hand..........fuck you master edge, i know i should see its attacks coming but it kicks my ass anyway, always lose a life there.
master shadow is a joke when using lucina, the ai is terrible on her shadow for whatever reason.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:16 am

(Smash-4 pro play)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9yDWVIhucU

Someone on another message board showed this to me and all he said was "Watch this video right now". So, I did.

I felt I just had to share it.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

chazthesilencer
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:50 pm

So the 3DS version has received an update recently, adding the [share] feature to the online menu.
Haven’t noticed many other changes- although the CPU clones before an online battle (the ones you warm-up on) seem to be a little more aggressive and smarter now; e.g. they use recovery moves later and grab ledges from a lower angle, which makes for better edge-guarding practice.

There’s no rating system for shared replays or snapshots, so finding good content is difficult, but still- act quickly now and you should be able to view a bizarre replay file titled “Pocket Tennis” by a user named TinTin.

Use the search criteria:
Region- United Kingdom
Mode- For Glory 1 on 1
Stage- Corneria
Character- Villager

Two crouchers meet in 1-on-1 for glory, and silliness ensues. Watch until at least the 3:40 mark.

This is completely unrelated- but check out this artist’s various comics on Smash.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Got back into For Glory for the first time in a while. I had a rather memorable match-up in which I accidentally let the character pick timer wind down and was assigned Rosalina, who I have barely played as. It's a lot harder to manage the Luma as well as Rosalina; I thought I'd be able to puppet it around but it seems that part of playing as Rosalina is maneuvering yourself so that both your attacks and the Luma's hit the opponent; if the opponent gets caught between the two then it'll take a lot of punishment but otherwise all of Rosalina's attacks have pretty terrible range. She does compensate for this by being a lot tougher and floatier than you'd expect. She also has the saving grace of her neutral special, which fires the Luma at the opponent, although if it doesn't connect then the Luma will be separated from you and can fly off the stage; however if it does hit then it's a very strong ranged attack on par with Luigi's side special and Ness charged with PK Lightning. I eventually managed to somehow win the match by hitting my opponent in the face with it at an opportune moment.

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:14 pm

I completely switched from Mario to King Dedede, and holy shit my performance shot through the roof. Those gordo's plus Dedede's absurd attack/recover range is something to behold.

On that note, here, relevant vid

On a different front, I heard leaks occured elsewhere on the net showing Mewtwo's slot...along with Rayman. Anybody know what's up with that? I'd rather have another DK rep...

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:56 pm

Rayman as DLC wouldn't surprise me, since he has a trophy that uses an unique model. I'm skeptical, but the Palutena leak turned out to be real, so...
Either way, i can hope.

Also, i bought a Zelda amiibo. Despite not having used her much yet, i feel really happy just to own her.

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby xanderkh » Sun Feb 15, 2015 4:50 pm

Hate to burst your bubbles guys, but it's been confirmed that Ray Man was Fake.
Sorry. :sniffle:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:54 pm

On the one hand, I was never too crazy about Rayman, so I'm not devastated or anything. But on the other hand, I'd reeeeally like to see a few more characters in DLC besides Mewtwo, and that would make it seem a liiiiitle more likely.

Because seriously, DK needs another bloody rep. I don't care if its Swanky Kong dammit, just give me something!

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:09 pm

Funky Kong for Smash.

chazthesilencer
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby chazthesilencer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:13 am

^No love for K.Rool?
Give me Bomberman for DLC.

There doesn’t appear to be a specific fan-community given name for players who continually crouch during matches as a sign of unity, so the term “croucher” is what I’ll stick with for now.

I can understand crouchers appearing in “for-fun” matches, it’s for fun, after all; but crouchers appearing in “for-glory” are an interesting animal…

There was the two Villagers playing one-on-one I mentioned earlier, it allowed a funny game of “catch the tree” to take place, but this is certainly a silly thing to do when the point of the mode is to win.
An especially silly thing however is when crouching occurs during team-battles. What the player hopes to accomplish in this situation is anyone’s guess. That one or both members of the opposing team will recognise the gesture and enter a non-aggression treaty? Fat chance.

Regular 4-player smash however just might be the appropriate place for crouching to occur, as I found out last night:
I was playing as Robin and an opponent playing as Kirby started crouching in the middle of the match. Initially I thought- “What is this idiot thinking?” But I decided to play along and returned the signal. I expected him to turn on me at any moment, but funnily enough- a genuine alliance was formed.
I allowed him to copy my special (Thoron) and we both took turns charging and shooting at the other two opponents- always making sure that our alliance buddy wasn’t in the line of fire.
We didn’t attack each other once. It became a competition to see who could steal the most KOs. Sure enough, the winner of every round was either him or me.

Funny game, Smash Bros.

Sorry about all these croucher posts, but these people just fascinate me.
Us Animay watching evageeks gotta stick together! - Joy Evangelion

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:21 am

^I think part of the reason why crouchers appear in For Glory is because they want to defeat the opponent in a trolling/humiliating fashion in a 'serious' match. Also, there thankfully isn't much of a DoTA/MOBA atmosphere in the community where if you lose you are instantly branded scum, so some people clearly don't mind having a bit of fun with it. Plus you can remove your recorded win/loss score by deleting the data off your WiiU, so there's no real shame in losing unless it's a huge loss streak.

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:02 am

Dedede has the best crouch in the game, let me tell you. It alone is practically a taunt in of itself. Nothing like getting a meteor smash on the opponent just to have that big bird mock you like he didn't even break a sweat.

But yeah, I was in one of those team matches where everyone was crouching. It was...fun, actually. Just silly, ya know.

^^I honestly would prefer to see Kaptain K.Rool, but I'm partial to Dixie myself.

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby xanderkh » Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:13 pm

Bit of spoilers for those who haven't seen the full Nintendo Direct:

SPOILER: Show
Mewtwo is back.....and SO IS LUCAS!!!!! AND, EVEN BETTER, NINTENDO IS HAVING A POLL OF WHICH FIGHTER IS GOING TO BE NEXT, WHERE YOU CAN WRITE DOWN WHICH FIGHTER YOU WANT!!!!!! I'M GOING WITH SORA, PEOPLE!!!!
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 pm

im voting for shantae, partially because unlike other characters people seem to be voting for shantae has been mostly a nintendo thing so far so she actually has a chance, and also because im a shantae nut.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”