Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Dustin Hoffman. . . FUCK.

Sigh. . . well I guess it's up to me to get thread back on track.

BATMAN FOREVER
One of my guiltiest pleasures. I watched this all the time as a kid because I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey. His performance as Riddler elevates this films rewatch value immensely.

I'm just glad to watch a Superhero movie where we aren't at each others throat over it.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

Val Kilmer made a great Batman before he turned into vanilla pudding.

silvermoonlight
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 am

Kong Skull Island 2017

I'll be honest I went in to this movie thinking hey its just cheap filler because it was done so they could have the cross over with Godzilla, boy was ever wrong I really loved this movie! Its just so much like the Ray Harryhausen movies I remember watching as a child where monsters would hammer the hell out of each other around people running for there lives.

SPOILER: Show
I loved how those monster fights are shot and how it feels like Pacific Rim in that you can feel the weight of one huge monster battering another and its so brutal and an added point I love that this movie does not shy away from people dying horribly or being eaten alive and the directors doing this really uped the tempo big time. Because it makes the Skullcrawlers have real menace and feel scary on some level not to mention I liked that the CGI people went for two legs only over four because its looks so alien and otherworldly and like a different evolution to dinosaurs or modem reptiles not to mention the hacking up half digested bones in close up is nightmare fuel.

I love that this movie takes a refreshing twist on the Kong Kong canon and really respect what they did with the scenes with the natives because in here they weren't portrayed as violent savages they were just the living in a brutal world and one of my favourite scenes is when the downed WW2 piolt Hank Marlow says to the group don't touch anything in the hollowed ground because he's deadly serious and not a single character in the science group does so they totality respect the place. Also the female characters are treated really well in this movie and not trophies or romantic props to be won like in other Kong movies and have there own merits and its refreshing to watch there stories unfold and they feel genuine and at no point is sexism thrown at ether of them when the shit hits the fan.

On top of that I was surprised to see the science group survive because normally they are first to go as in movies they can be shown as the weak link. I disagree deeply with the view that Preston Packard fighting with Kong was a symbolism of racism because he viewed the Kong as the Vietnamese because the movie makes it clear right from the get go that it's much deeper than that and it's more that he lost that war and he feels its all worthless and meaningless hence he sees Kong as the victory he was denied and that if he kills him he has an accomplishment to come home with. All in all I want to see the cross over with Godzilla now just for brutal and fun it might be.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 am

View Original PostRay wrote:BATMAN FOREVER
One of my guiltiest pleasures. I watched this all the time as a kid because I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey. His performance as Riddler elevates this films rewatch value immensely.

Batman Forever is a competent nod to the kinds of fun that can be had with Batman, a type of fun that hadn't been seen since Adam West. (Granted, to wasn't on the same level as Adam West, but it was still fun and goofy.) The Lego Batman movie is amazing for how it also reveres the West-style of the Batman universe.

I can't be bothered to enjoy Batman & Robin, though. I think the only thing that kept me from walking away from the mom entirely was Michael Gough's performance as Alfred. Other than that, it was almost unwatchable.

Gendo'sPapa
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am

My two cents:

Batman & Robin is a "better" movie than Batman Forever because it's more tonally consistent in it's cheesiness/plain terribleness.
Forever is garbage but occasionally tries to dip its toes into being a real movie which makes it even worse.

Plus, B&R has the joys of Mr. Freeze's legendary/classic/awful Ice Puns which just chill me!

Return to “Film and Video”