Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Banned
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 6638
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:51 pm

Dustin Hoffman. . . FUCK.

Sigh. . . well I guess it's up to me to get thread back on track.

BATMAN FOREVER
One of my guiltiest pleasures. I watched this all the time as a kid because I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey. His performance as Riddler elevates this films rewatch value immensely.

I'm just glad to watch a Superhero movie where we aren't at each others throat over it.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

Val Kilmer made a great Batman before he turned into vanilla pudding.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1134
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 am

Kong Skull Island 2017

I'll be honest I went in to this movie thinking hey its just cheap filler because it was done so they could have the cross over with Godzilla, boy was ever wrong I really loved this movie! Its just so much like the Ray Harryhausen movies I remember watching as a child where monsters would hammer the hell out of each other around people running for there lives.

SPOILER: Show
I loved how those monster fights are shot and how it feels like Pacific Rim in that you can feel the weight of one huge monster battering another and its so brutal and an added point I love that this movie does not shy away from people dying horribly or being eaten alive and the directors doing this really uped the tempo big time. Because it makes the Skullcrawlers have real menace and feel scary on some level not to mention I liked that the CGI people went for two legs only over four because its looks so alien and otherworldly and like a different evolution to dinosaurs or modem reptiles not to mention the hacking up half digested bones in close up is nightmare fuel.

I love that this movie takes a refreshing twist on the Kong Kong canon and really respect what they did with the scenes with the natives because in here they weren't portrayed as violent savages they were just the living in a brutal world and one of my favourite scenes is when the downed WW2 piolt Hank Marlow says to the group don't touch anything in the hollowed ground because he's deadly serious and not a single character in the science group does so they totality respect the place. Also the female characters are treated really well in this movie and not trophies or romantic props to be won like in other Kong movies and have there own merits and its refreshing to watch there stories unfold and they feel genuine and at no point is sexism thrown at ether of them when the shit hits the fan.

On top of that I was surprised to see the science group survive because normally they are first to go as in movies they can be shown as the weak link. I disagree deeply with the view that Preston Packard fighting with Kong was a symbolism of racism because he viewed the Kong as the Vietnamese because the movie makes it clear right from the get go that it's much deeper than that and it's more that he lost that war and he feels its all worthless and meaningless hence he sees Kong as the victory he was denied and that if he kills him he has an accomplishment to come home with. All in all I want to see the cross over with Godzilla now just for brutal and fun it might be.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 31
Posts: 7860
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 am

View Original PostRay wrote:BATMAN FOREVER
One of my guiltiest pleasures. I watched this all the time as a kid because I was a huge fan of Jim Carrey. His performance as Riddler elevates this films rewatch value immensely.

Batman Forever is a competent nod to the kinds of fun that can be had with Batman, a type of fun that hadn't been seen since Adam West. (Granted, to wasn't on the same level as Adam West, but it was still fun and goofy.) The Lego Batman movie is amazing for how it also reveres the West-style of the Batman universe.

I can't be bothered to enjoy Batman & Robin, though. I think the only thing that kept me from walking away from the mom entirely was Michael Gough's performance as Alfred. Other than that, it was almost unwatchable.

Gendo'sPapa
God
God
User avatar
Posts: 4581
Joined: Oct 24, 2006
Location: Everywhere
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:33 am

My two cents:

Batman & Robin is a "better" movie than Batman Forever because it's more tonally consistent in it's cheesiness/plain terribleness.
Forever is garbage but occasionally tries to dip its toes into being a real movie which makes it even worse.

Plus, B&R has the joys of Mr. Freeze's legendary/classic/awful Ice Puns which just chill me!

Ray
Banned
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 6638
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 pm

The Valley Of Gwangi:

It's Cowboys Vs Dinosaurs. King Kong in the Wild West. With Stop motion by Harryhausen. What more could you ask for?
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:10 pm

What's not to like about a movie where a goddamn allosaurus finally gets the spotlight?
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1134
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:55 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The Valley Of Gwangi:

It's Cowboys Vs Dinosaurs. King Kong in the Wild West. With Stop motion by Harryhausen. What more could you ask for?


Harryhausen's movie are just so much fun like check out, It Came from Beneath the Sea, The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms and 20 million miles to earth if you haven't already. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:31 am

20 million miles to earth is the flying saucer one, right?

It’s amazing beyond much of his other work just because the subject matter is just completely wrong for stop motion and should have been impossible to do, but he did it anyway.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

silvermoonlight
Lilin
Lilin
User avatar
Posts: 1134
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:50 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:20 million miles to earth is the flying saucer one, right?

It’s amazing beyond much of his other work just because the subject matter is just completely wrong for stop motion and should have been impossible to do, but he did it anyway.


You might be thinking of Earth vs. the Flying Saucers which has some great ship effects for its time 20 Million Miles to Earth was done the year after and is one of these really underrated movies because its more a misunderstood monster.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MWmCskZwM0&ab_channel=RetroAlexander
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:29 pm

Ah yes, I had them confused.

https://youtu.be/jZO6pIhQEbo

It looks cheesy as hell by today’s standards but this was all done by hand with little models. When he did the collision with the Washington Monument, he had to track the movement of all the tiny pieces of debris and move them one frame at a time.

The great shame of movie special effects is that unlike theater which preserves tradition, movies discard these kinds of effects work when they become “obsolete” and an art is lost.

I don’t bash something like Frozen because the level of detail in the animation is incredible, but the older forms should be preserved too.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

Ray
Banned
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 6638
Joined: Feb 10, 2014
Location: USA
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Ray » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:17 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:20 million miles to earth is the flying saucer one, right?


That's the one where Astronauts bring back a dinosaur-tadpole monster egg from Venus, crash land in italy, and then fight the monster on the Colosseum.
I’ll escape now from this world, from the world of Jean Valjean, Jean Valjean is nothing now! Another story must begin!
Avatar: "There's a Starman, waiting in the sky. He'd like to come and meet me, but he thinks he'd blow my mind."
Phew, I’m not tense anymore… now I’m just miserable.
People say "be yourself" but that's bad advice, if we were all to "be ourselves" many of us would stop wearing clothes. -Chuckman

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 184
Joined: May 11, 2013
Location: Cork, Ireland
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:10 pm

It's my birthday tomorrow, so I decided to celebrate by taking my friends with me to see Early Man, the latest Aardman film and (the main point of interest for me) the first film to be directed by Wallace & Gromit creator Nick Park in just under a decade. It's...good. It's good, but it's not my thing.

The problem I think I have with Early Man is that its central promise has never made that much sense to me. Nick Park's movies tend to operate on an idea that YouTube reviewer B-Mask coined the "got it" principle, in which you suggest a design or idea with enough basic information that the audience immediately understands where you're going with it. Park tends to suggest a comedic take on a known genre or concept, but the principle still applies. To wit...

A Grand Day Out: The moon really is made of cheese, and a cheese-starved inventor and his dog build a rocket to get some. Got it.

Creature Comforts: Vox pop interviews, but the voices are given to animals to suggest they're talking about life in the zoo. Got it.

Chicken Run: It's The Great Escape, but with chickens breaking out of a farm. Got it.

Curse of the Ware-Rabbit: It's a horror movie, but it's about a rabbit attacking vegetables. Got it.

But then, you get to Early Man: It's a sports movie, but with cavemen. ...Okay?

Maybe there's some British cultural quirk or football/soccer-related in-joke that I'm missing here, but even when I read about the film's premise a few years back, it just sounded strange to me. And when it's hard to grasp the mentality behind an idea, it's hard for me to enjoy the film quite as much as I otherwise would.

As well as that, it's a sports movie. A sports movie with a very comedic bent and a silly prehistoric setting, but a sports movie all the same. Most of the clichés that were once poked fun of in that old Mitchell and Webb sketch pop up here, and I just find it too formulaic to enjoy. If you enjoy sports movies, that's awesome! The genre just does nothing for me, and neither does this film. Like I said, it's good and I'd absolutely recommend checking it out (especially if you're a fan of Aardman or animation in general), but I doubt I'll watch it again.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:03 pm

American GitS is on Amazon for $1 so I figured what the hell.

I’m unreasonably annoyed that Major is just her name for some reason.

Edit: Yeah seriously they treat it as if Major is just her first name. What the fuck kind of first name is Major? For a woman? Why would you incorporate Major into a made up name for your military cyborg?

Anyway they turned GitS into a weird ripoff of Robocop. Also I feel no shame or guilt in spoiling this: In the American version of GitS, of course the Major rejects the whole uploading to the net and merging into a new being thing. Except the other guy didn't really offer to merge with her so the whole point of flipping it loses all meaning.

Also I watched Gotham by Gaslight. It was okay. I felt like they probably left out a lot from the comic. The twist was clever. The animation of these DC original movies looks really bland and cheap, though. Every time they do an "impressive" shot of some scenery with flat animation completely lacking in depth and detail it just looks dumb.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.

movieartman
Pilot
Pilot
Age: 27
Posts: 2004
Joined: Feb 24, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby movieartman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The Valley Of Gwangi:

It's Cowboys Vs Dinosaurs. King Kong in the Wild West. With Stop motion by Harryhausen. What more could you ask for?

If you liked that, check out the similar altho lesser The Beast from Hollow Mountain (1956), Harryhausen's mentor Willis O'Brien was involved with it altho strangely he did not do the special effects.

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael
Age: 30
Posts: 940
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:17 pm

Godzilla: Planet of the Monsters

I think I am in the minority of saying I enjoyed this more than Shin Godzilla. Who needs politics and endless meetings when you got here super shootouts with space bikes, tank mechs, and starships on future Earth vs. the Big G who is technically not the one they REALLY had to be worried about?! :D
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

AdamMalkovitch
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 18
Posts: 230
Joined: Jul 23, 2017
Location: Gino's Pizzeria
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

I'm in the middle of a marathon of Star Wars episodes 1-3, Rogue One, and 4-7, I'll finish it off by seeing The Last Jedi in theatres. I just finished A New Hope, but like an idiot, I had to go and rent a Blu Ray copy, even though I already have an unedited VHS copy, just so I could watch it in HD. Little did I know that it was the culmination of every dumbass edit made to the special editions, which damn near made me eject it from my PS3 and toss it across the room multiple times. Despite this, I've really enjoyed the first five films, and I've never marathoned them all like this. I can't wait to see The Last Jedi and realize that the franchise has gone to shit.
My favorite so far is actually Revenge of the Sith. I enjoyed the prequel trilogy way more than I expected to, and I really loved watching Anakin slowly lose his grip on reality, and go completely insane. I love how, even though he does some super fucked up shit, you empathize with Anakin- you watch him grow up from an innocent kid, he's lost everything he fought for, and now is so psychologically broken that he only wants control and destruction.
I've reached a point where I just generally don't give a fuck anymore. In a good way.

VUX
Gaghiel
Gaghiel
Posts: 360
Joined: Jan 16, 2018
Location: In a galaxy far far away
Gender: Male

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby VUX » Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:49 pm

Osmosis Jones, a film who's visuals are disgusting and who's jokes are cringeworthy eeeeeeewwwww! :facepalm:
"When life gives you problems..., get into the robot!"

"We VUX wanted peace with humans, until they day that insult was thrown"
"Where's you're ogrelord now laddeh?" Drek

Gus Hanson
Armisael
Armisael
Age: 30
Posts: 940
Joined: Oct 24, 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:57 pm

View Original PostAdamMalkobitch wrote:My favorite so far is actually Revenge of the Sith. I enjoyed the prequel trilogy way more than I expected to, and I really loved watching Anakin slowly lose his grip on reality, and go completely insane. I love how, even though he does some super fucked up shit, you empathize with Anakin- you watch him grow up from an innocent kid, he's lost everything he fought for, and now is so psychologically broken that he only wants control and destruction.

I still remember the times I spent watching The Phantom Menace and Revenge of the Sith in theaters. I'm probably also one of the few who openly admits that the prequels weren't really that bad. I have heard comments that Anakin's acting particularly from Hayden Christensen is cringeworthy but when he's doing the angry face and not talking, he's always got that part down.
And so Javert, you see it's true. This man bears no more guilt than you! Who am I? TWO-FOUR-SIX-OH-OOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! - Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman
User avatar
Age: 35
Posts: 8623
Joined: Nov 11, 2011
Location: Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Chuckman » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:19 pm

I saw *I,Tonya* yesterday. It wasn’t anything magical but it was damn fun.
the prophecy is true
The wish for respectability, observed spiritual teacher Jiddu Krishnamurti, is the greatest deterrent to selfhood and progress.


Return to “Film and Video”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests