[RUMOR] Michael Bay says he wants to direct Live Action Eva

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

ApolloIVtv
Adam

[RUMOR] Michael Bay says he wants to direct Live Action Eva

Postby ApolloIVtv » Fri May 23, 2014 8:43 pm

This isn't really "official" news, nor is it really that reliable, but still, if there's even a single chance that MICHAEL BAY is going to direct a Live Action Eva movie, I don't think I can live any longer.

[url]http://www.kdramastars.com/articles/22755/20140522/neon-genesis-evangelion-live-action.htm[/url]

Again, still may be just a rumor, but who knows really. I just hope to god this is %100 false. Even if it's true, I hope the movie, at least, doesn't get green lighted again, because I, and I think a lot of other people, do not want Michael Bay to even touch Eva.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 23, 2014 8:48 pm

I personally think someone is trying to stir up shit because that's the only place that has that info, probably trying to get more web views.

Yeah I don't want Michael Bay touching it either.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 23, 2014 8:55 pm

Wait, this isn't a joke?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 23, 2014 9:13 pm

^
You didn't read it Good Sir?

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 23, 2014 9:37 pm

I did.

I don't buy it. This is too good to be true.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 23, 2014 9:43 pm

^
Michael Bay causes a too good to be true reaction within you Good Sir?

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

Postby C.A.P. » Fri May 23, 2014 9:52 pm

By that I mean, from an economical point of view, this is too "ideal" to be true.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri May 23, 2014 10:04 pm

So there are two articles running this story (neogaf being the other), and both reference "Tranformers News Center" which I can't verify as being a real thing. And even if it were real, a director saying they want to do something doesn't mean they will actual get to do it, or be able to do it. Last we heard, Gainax was being sued by the remnants of ADV Films. Once again, that's a pretty good sign that odds are very poor this project will even get back into a position where it can began thinking about a director again. Also, Michael Bay is too busy shitting on Ninja Turtles.

Also, I updated the title of the thread to be more factually accurate, assuming that this quote is real and not just something someone made up to stir up more fan rage.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Postby El Squibbonator » Fri May 23, 2014 10:14 pm

Just because Michael Bay says he wants to direct a live-action EVA movie, that doesn't mean he will. Guillermo del Toro talked about how much he'd like to do a Pacific Rim/Godzilla crossover in some interviews, but there's absolutely no evidence that's ever going to happen. For all we know, this is just something Bay there out there about what movie he'd most like to make.
That said, I wonder if he could get Megan Fox to play Asuka.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 23, 2014 10:59 pm

GODS BE PRAISED

I am sexually aroused at the thought of this movie existing. Bay is an auteur. How many times have I said he's the only director worthy of LAEM? How many? Just pray that they find a writer other than Kurtzman and Orci.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Fri May 23, 2014 11:35 pm

Micheal Bay. . . The Truth is. . .

YOU ARE A HAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Why does he have to ruin everything we loved? Why can't he go back to directing his own Ideas, and stop butchering good concepts with his shoddy directing skills?

Ugh. . . sorry. First transformers, then TMNT, now this? I hope its just a rumor, blood will run in the streets if its the truth.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri May 23, 2014 11:54 pm

This sounds like a load of crap.

I feel like Bay must be so bored by now of directing all the Transformers movies, that something like Evangelion would feel too similar of a film to him, UNLESS he actually wants to make a film that tries to explore the kinds of issues that Eva presents. For all that people talk shit about Bay, he knows how to make entertainment. Armageddon is a ridiculously dumb movie, but it is a very fun ridiculously dumb movie. The Rock is very corny and over the top, but god damn if you aren't having fun while watching it. I never really got into the transformers movies but Bay is good at what he does, which is directing popcorn movies that put asses in seats and entertain. He doesn't do drama, he does entertainment. If you want a hack director, Shyamalan's your man. I also seriously question whether he has seen Evangelion, either NGE or Rebuild, as this article asserts he's said he has.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best possible director for a Live Action Eva left our mortal coil in 1999. Christopher Nolan is an acceptable substitute.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat May 24, 2014 1:14 am

I wonder if the Transformers/Eva crossover merchandising has any part in this.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat May 24, 2014 1:29 am

Yeah it's a false lead, the website that wrote this article used made up the resource that they allegedly got the info from, the website apparently has been known to do this.

ApolloIVtv
Adam

Postby ApolloIVtv » Sat May 24, 2014 1:43 am

I know it's just a rumor, but still, let's just say Bay does want to make an Eva movie. Michael Bay is a pretty powerful movie director, because he's Hollywood's go-to cash maker, being able to make successful movies fast, and a little cheaper than most other big budget films. And as powerful directors go, they usually get to do more of what they want in the industry. So while you may be right when you say "Just because he says he wants to doesn't mean that it will happen", when a powerful director like Bay comes into the picture, suddenly things aren't so black and white. All he really has to do really is just present something that looks marketable to make and the studio would probably say yes.

And Eva, in it's basic premise (robots vs monsters), is a marketable idea. But Bay has a tendency to take anything's meaning or ideals from that basic premise and suck all the life out of it, i.e. Trnasformers. Not only that, he'll probably change all of the shows themes, characters, setting, style, subtlety, etc. and turn it into something that more "americans" would want to see.

Even if he does want to tackle adapting all of Eva's complexities into film, as if he really wants to translate Eva well for the good of his heart, he's not fit for it. If it were someone like along the lines of Kubrick maybe, or hell, maybe even Del Toro, but not Bay. His style and ways of thinking don't match with Eva, so no matter how Bay approaches this, HE WILL FUCK IT UP.

Mix all that up with the fact that he can pretty much (almost, but still) do whatever he wants, as proven above, I don't think that it's impossible for him to somehow make an Eva movie.

Here's a quote from the article: "When asked if Michael Bay is working on the Neon Genesis Evangelion live action movie right now, he just smiled at the journalist who asked him that question."

Just think about that. Even if this may be false, even if this seems too awful to be true, just THINK about that the fact that, if this article is telling the truth, Bay might be, if not already, making/planning a Live Action Eva Movie.

I'm honestly not sharing and ranting about this out of "petty fanboy rage", I'm sharing/ranting about it because Micheal Bay may be making a live action eva movie and may actually be possible if this is true if that is not the most frightening thing you can think of then i'm sorry i can just leave then honestly it'll be another Godzilla 98 or a Last Airbender again.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 24, 2014 2:39 am

Anyone who claims that Bay sucked the life out of Transformers has a vastly inflated opinion of what Transformers is. The cartoon is unbelievably, almost artistically stupid at times. It was never actually good and the Bay films adequately reflect the source material while making some interesting statements of their own.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat May 24, 2014 9:41 am

Addendum: We don't need to worry about anything until someone confirms that development has resumed or another entity has acquired the rights to produce it. Because, let's face it. ADV Films isn't doing anything anytime soon.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat May 24, 2014 11:34 am

Worry.

The word you are looking for is anticipate. We can toss a with baited breath in there for flavor.
the prophecy is true

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Giji Shinka » Sat May 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Michael Bay directing Eva? No thanks.

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat May 24, 2014 2:41 pm

I doubt Bay even knows what Eva is.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”