Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

Gantz Ending

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri May 09, 2014 1:32 am

Anyone else disappointed in the ending to the Gantz manga?
After all my favorite characters died I really wasn't hoping for a 'happy' ending…
Also I would really love an 'afterwards' chapter to you know see how the cleanup of the millions of dead people is going or how humanity is rebuilding itself and if humans are still over all a bad and useless species (well Im sure I know the answer to that last one…)
:bigeyes:

Also why we are here… anyone else tired of explaining to their non nerdy friends where the 'Why you no' meme comes from ...
I don't care for Eva-elitists. I don't know everything, and neither do you.

"I'm real tempted to say Kaworu and Evangelionfreak" Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Is that why they call you EvangelionFreak?" DatDude
"I will never understand you, Evangelionfreak. Never ever." Faußtin
"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS
"Well, that still leaves Evangelionfreak straighter to me. Phew." Reichu

Rodeo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Rodeo » Fri May 09, 2014 10:22 am

I think that would have been a little heavy handed for Gantz, I don't think Oku ever aspired to make a statement on the human race. Since the story didn't seem to be building up towards anything in particular, the eighties video game -style ending was probably the most appropriate way to get it over with.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Fri May 09, 2014 10:01 pm

Im not mad that Kuerno and Kato survived. Not at all.
Im just mad that all my favorite characters did not.

And I like the 'final battle' I just want to know what happens next lol

"-Shinji is all alone, but Kaworu walks up to him and says, "So it's only us now.". End. YOU[girls]WISH. I'm looking at you, Evangelionfreak."Rahaquiel-2DIS

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Mon May 12, 2014 10:36 pm

I thought it had gone on too long as it was. So yes the ending was kind of disappointing but I didn't expect much better given that the plot was already rather compromised.

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue May 13, 2014 3:21 pm

Oh yeah I'm still butthurt about the ending of the gantz manga, they never did anything with that blonde vampireas I kept expecting something to happen with his character but nothing ever did. They also never really explained the origins of the psychics which pissed me off too.

Also Reika went out like a punk fighting some shitty cg monster offscreen

That being said the ending is still better then the ending of the gantz anime and movies though. So yeah those of you who want a good ending in gantz, the mangas the closest your going to get I'm afraid.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed May 14, 2014 12:05 am

I actually sort of liked the anime ending, even though it was seriously flawed. Then again, the entire anime was seriously flawed, so that had something to do with it.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Wed May 14, 2014 10:12 pm

View Original PostLeoXiao wrote:I actually sort of liked the anime ending, even though it was seriously flawed. Then again, the entire anime was seriously flawed, so that had something to do with it.

I agree with the anime being flawed. The animation was beautiful though. I wish they would redo the whole thing.

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Thu May 15, 2014 1:21 pm

View Original PostEvangelionfreak wrote:I agree with the anime being flawed. The animation was beautiful though. I wish they would redo the whole thing.

What I thought was cool about the anime ending was how they made Kurono into the target and we got to see how he dealt with that. It was interesting because it showed the utter arbitrarity of the Gantz system, whereas the manga just devolved into 400 chapters of monster of the week.

Evangelionfreak
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Evangelionfreak » Sat May 17, 2014 8:48 pm

Well if you recall in the manga there is a mission where they make Tae a target (which was similar to making Kei the target)

LeoXiao
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby LeoXiao » Wed May 21, 2014 3:12 am

View Original PostEvangelionfreak wrote:Well if you recall in the manga there is a mission where they make Tae a target (which was similar to making Kei the target)

Right, but it just felt incidental alongside the aliens and superaliens and weird developments and other character arcs and die-offs.

Gantz for me was always an episodic adventure. It felt kind of like one of those old school games that has really repetitive but challenging and instinct-based gameplay, except there are actual characters involved. These characters, however, were not really driven anywhere by an overarching plot, given the lack of any relevant overarching plot. Kurono in the end seemed more or less the same Kurono as in the beginning.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Re: Gantz Ending

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:06 am

Well after starting the series about three and a bit years ago (roughly around when I started on here) I finally finished, with Dark Horse having put out the last English tankōbon last month:

SPOILER: Show

It's been one hell of a journey and nearly all my favourite characters are dead. I'm going to miss my semi-regular fixes of Kurono and Kato. Let's hope the 3D CGI animated film next year does the source material justice and gives us some batshit crazy action.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Return to “Anime and Manga”