[Merch] Evangelion Merchandise 2, or, Why Do I Keep Buying Things!?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Merchandise 2, or, Why Do I Keep Buying Things!?

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:52 pm

Good job getting all 7. I'm still missing #1 and 4 and haven't bothered to check out the contents personally lol. But I do recall back in the late '90s that a lot of the official artwork floating around online came from these.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:57 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Good job getting all 7. I'm still missing #1 and 4 and haven't bothered to check out the contents personally lol. But I do recall back in the late '90s that a lot of the official artwork floating around online came from these.

Thanks! Currently I'm trying to get a hold of the 3rd screensaver CD to also complete that.

Okay new swag incoming!

Evangelion Anima Vola 1 and 2, along with the Visual Book.

Evangelion Daily Selection:
So a third-party did a series of desktop-accessory CDs, they called it their BGI series (BGI = back ground image).
For one of the entries in the series, they did Evangelion.

My hunch is that this CD is a subset of the official Gainax Collector CDs, as in it recycles items from them.
In which case getting this CD might not even be necessary for the digital-content-focused fan.
I'll compare the files to see how much * new * content there actually is once I get a hold of Gainax screensaver Vol 3.
SPOILER: Show

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Typing Hokan Keikaku

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Typing Project-E

Evangelion Geometric Figure: Unit 01
So this is pretty cool. Back in the 90s, a company made 3D models of Eva Units 01, 02, and 03,
and put them on software CDs.

I was able to nab two Eva Units (but one is still being shipped), and I'm trying to get my hands on the third.

BUT, they didn't stop there. They went on to create 3D models of Rei and Asuka, which look bad with shading on, but lot better with shading off.

I didn't even know the latter two existed until I stumbled upon them by luck.
In and of itself, self-evident.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 pm

^Yahoo Japan Auctions?

I love obtaining 20 year old discs which cost ~$50 at the time at a fraction of the price.
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:24 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:^Yahoo Japan Auctions?

I love obtaining 20 year old discs which cost ~$50 at the time at a fraction of the price.

Yes!

Some jackass is selling the same CDs on eBay for like $80 - when I can get it from Japan itself for like $8.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:19 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:Yes!

Some jackass is selling the same CDs on eBay for like $80 - when I can get it from Japan itself for like $8.

I agree with that as I've noticed some website will charge top £1/$1 for Evangelion merchandise, when you can get it way cheaper if you order it through the Japanese sellers on amazon and e bay and japanses auction sites.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:27 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:Yes!

You mean there are scalpers at Ebay?
Shocker!

Joke aside, I avoid that place like the plague... Mandarake is always my first option...
Also... Those CD's... Can they even run on modern PC's???
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:45 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:Also... Those CD's... Can they even run on modern PC's???

Nope, which is another reason the CDs are so cheap.

I use a Mac with VMWare running a Windows 95 image. Setting up the Windows 95 image was a pain since it required archaic patches scattered through forums. I wish I took notes on how to build said image.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:47 pm

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:Nope, which is another reason the CDs are so cheap.

I use a Mac with VMWare running a Windows 95 image. Setting up the Windows 95 image was a pain since it required archaic patches scattered through forums. I wish I took notes on how to build said image.

Can you at least update the models to more modern, easily readable formats?

It seems a lot of work for something like that :huh:

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:49 pm

Last edited by deeRez on Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:18 am

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:In other news, this arrived:

Holy Ra!
Fake or not it is amazing! :w00t:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:13 pm

Was the op cel from Mandarake? They had some Eva offerings in their last Big Web Auction.

Seeing as you have that, how about the corresponding sketch: https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d266055262

Have been pretty inactive on this forum, but here are 2 fan cels I had commissioned late last year that I received after the new year
http://coldsteel.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=415829
http://coldsteel.rubberslug.com/gallery/inv_info.asp?ItemID=415830

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:57 pm

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:24 am

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:55 pm

I've heard that a lot (most? all?) of the Eva cels were stolen. It looks like khara is more in control of their genga and douga this time.

The behavior of Mandarake bidders still makes me wonder, especially with the Eva cels/drawings. Bidders seem to be impatient for these and start bidding early.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:06 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:I've heard that a lot (most? all?) of the Eva cels were stolen. It looks like khara is more in control of their genga and douga this time.

Thankfully they made a lot of good stuff like the Groundwork books and the concept art books before the cels disappeared! Though personally I still think Gainax sold the cels but blamed theft for tax reasons.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:The behavior of Mandarake bidders still makes me wonder, especially with the Eva cels/drawings. Bidders seem to be impatient for these and start bidding early.

That reminds me of this, it's like there's no logic to these numbers:

$6000 Rei cel:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=307128

$1500 Rei cel, just a few frames apart from the previous one:
http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/auction/it ... dex=255930

In other news...

Woosh! My screensaver collection is now complete, got Volume 3!

and woosh!
My geometric figure collection is now complete as well, got Unit 02!

I also ended up getting the 2015 concept art book, IT'S SOO GOOD.

And I finally got this:
Puka Puka Rei. I had a nice English write-up about this that I found somewhere, but can't find it again.
It's like the screensaver CDs spun off into a game.

What I want to try to get next is the Shinji and Good Friends CDs,
then circle back and a get some more of the games for the mainstream systems that I'm lacking, like the raising games.

I saw the Pachinko games had some interesting limited edition releases, but Pachinko is not my thing so avoiding them.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:54 pm

So this came in, the full set of NewType Film Books!

For information on the NewType Film Books and what they contain, check out the example of book #9 on Literary Eagle's blog:
http://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/13 ... ew-here-is

The books I want to try to get next:
The Last Year of Ryohji Kaji
Neon Genesis Evangelion Storyboards Collection (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Movie)
Evangelion Original (I, II, II)
Neon Genesis Evangelion Newtype 100% Collection

The CDs/Games I want to try to get next:
Shinji and Good Friends (PC)
Evangelion Jo (PSP)
Detective Evangelion (PS2)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Iron Maiden (PC - 1997)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Iron Maiden (PS2 - Limited edition)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Iron Maiden 2nd (PC - 2003)
Ayanami Raising Project (PC - 2001 or 2003)
Ayanami Raising Project with Asuka Complement Project (DS - limited version)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:48 am

Just curious, are you tracking your collection online by any chance? I only ask due to the volume of updates. I set up a site for my own purposes and to primarily avoid dupes (see my sig). And why not try to educate people at the same time? ^_^

Also, not sure what your sources are (besides YHJ). But in my experience Surugya-ya is pretty good for used merch. Have yet to order online from Mandarake in English, nor Lashinbang.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:10 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Just curious, are you tracking your collection online by any chance? I only ask due to the volume of updates. I set up a site for my own purposes and to primarily avoid dupes (see my sig). And why not try to educate people at the same time? ^_^

Also, not sure what your sources are (besides YHJ). But in my experience Surugya-ya is pretty good for used merch. Have yet to order online from Mandarake in English, nor Lashinbang.

Sort of-ish. I've made an Imgur album that I've been updating (haven't added the last thing yet, holding off until more books arrive):

https://imgur.com/a/L5hyV

Yeah the volume is high right now cause I'm rushing to get a bunch of books/discs I've overlooked, but it's a really short list. After this, I expect not to buy much besides the CRC, new Sadamoto art books, or interesting RAH. Maybe more cels as well, but no scene comes to mind.

I mainly stick to YHJ, but have used other sites for 1-off purchases like amiami or jlist.
I forgot I had an account on Mandarake; used it to buy I think Re-Take originally, but recently used it to buy some more books.

I've not used Surugya-ya before. Seems to have a lot to offer!

Your collection is awesome! And that's before I even realized that the menu branches themselves are clickable! Thought it was just the leaf nodes initially! I'm really tempted to try to collect all the Eva Ace magazines with the extras, but I must resist. D;
So many toys and what a diverse set! Clothes too!

So I've read your motivation for having the collection, and mentioning the Star Wars collector made me chuckle cause it reminds me of Tolwyn's collection (whom you've quoted in your sig):

http://www.dannychoo.com/en/post/26924/ ... n+Fan.html

It's absurd! If there's like a slight variation in a toy, he gets it still.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:06 pm

Thanks for sharing the link. Your commentary is both insightful and educational. Makes me realize how dry and to the point most of my descriptions are. ^_^

Appreciate the feedback! I actually went through several years of not actively picking anything up around when the 1st 2 Rebuilds came out since I thought they wouldn't do justice to the TV series. The funny thing is I stayed away from any type of fan created works for years since it wasn't by someone who worked on the series. Would not set foot in an artist alley for the longest time.

My 1st trip to Japan through these fine people (https://pacsettours.com/third-impact-2014/#.WpDlK4PwaUk), I picked up Eva stuff pretty much every place we stopped at. It was an overdose, basically. Cut back a bit the next year when I went again, but it was still a lot (that's how all but 2 of the H doujins were acquired). :devil: After paying yen, it is really hard for me now to justify paying markup if I can help it, especially for the prize figures.

View Original PostdeeRez wrote:I'm really tempted to try to collect all the Eva Ace magazines with the extras, but I must resist. D;

Do it. :D

Speaking of Tolwyn, he is a member here under the same handle but not active. Here's his site and FB:

http://evangelion.eu/
https://www.facebook.com/EVA.Museum/

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:38 am

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Thanks for sharing the link. Your commentary is both insightful and educational. Makes me realize how dry and to the point most of my descriptions are. ^_^

I think given the size of your collection, you can be excused for rushing through with descriptions. :)

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Appreciate the feedback! I actually went through several years of not actively picking anything up around when the 1st 2 Rebuilds came out since I thought they wouldn't do justice to the TV series. The funny thing is I stayed away from any type of fan created works for years since it wasn't by someone who worked on the series. Would not set foot in an artist alley for the longest time.

I'm kind of like that with the English releases! Like, why do I care that there's English commentary by the English voice actors as a bonus - they're not canon! Give me the Japanese voice actor interviews instead, but with subs!

I like saving awesome fan-art digitally, but I'm not enthused about buying physical fan art pieces,
mainly because the amount out there is limitless compared to official works,
BUT - I do think it's cool that you commissioned an artist to do a piece.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:My 1st trip to Japan through these fine people (https://pacsettours.com/third-impact-2014/#.WpDlK4PwaUk), I picked up Eva stuff pretty much every place we stopped at. It was an overdose, basically. Cut back a bit the next year when I went again, but it was still a lot (that's how all but 2 of the H doujins were acquired). :devil: After paying yen, it is really hard for me now to justify paying markup if I can help it, especially for the prize figures.

I've wanted to go to Japan as a teen really badly, but I can't stand airplanes. Will need to bite the bullet one day.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Do it. :D

We'll see, heh.

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Speaking of Tolwyn, he is a member here under the same handle but not active. Here's his site and FB:

http://evangelion.eu/
https://www.facebook.com/EVA.Museum/

Oh wow, that's so cool. Shame that he's not active. I notice a lot of people on this site haven't signed on in years. Kind of sad how people come on go. I guess they'll be back once the new movie comes out, but I think Eva 3.0 was such a disappointment that it just killed the mood for everyone.

In other news, this arrived:

Neon Genesis Evangelion Concept Design Works by Ikuto Yamashita (Evangelion mech designer),

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”