[Merch] Evangelion Merchandise 2, or, Why Do I Keep Buying Things!?

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:58 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Hey, I have that! ^_^

Yes, I remember coming across your post when researching about it! :P

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Too bad I didn't know UMD-Movies aren't region free (Need a Japanese/whatever region PSP to watch) while UMD-Games are. Not that I regret the purchase so many years back.

That is why I got this!
I used to be a huge PSP fan, with a bunch of games for it, but no UMD movies.
So I was like, "I want to try to experience one UMD movie at least, as a last hurrah for the console, and what better than something that is Evangelion!"

I have non-Japanese PSPs, so I wanted to see if the movies would run.
If they didn't, then at least it's a neat collector's item.

Though, I was already kind of confident about getting the movie working since the PSP has been reverse-engineered to death from what I remember when I used to follow the news; one could do region free movie playback since way back in 2007 if I remember correctly.
You should have experimented! :)

Back then though, one had to flash the whole firmware to get it rooted. Nowadays, since they figured out the keys/encryption-passwords to the PSP and PS3, one can run the new firmware temporarily as an app that one needs to run only on restarts to trigger, or if you wish, install it permanently:

To get started on rooting if you're interested, see:
https://code.google.com/p/procfw/wiki/Installation

If you need help, Google, or message me.

* EDIT - turns out I got lucky; CFW's region-free is broken; instead it worked because my rooted European PSP turned out to be in the same movie region as Japan *
Anyways, here's it running the movie on my European PSP and the other picture is what happens when I run it on my American PSP:

Though I'm slightly disappointed. All it does is play the movie directly. There are no neat menus like one would expect a DVD or Bluray to have. Booooooooooooo.
Last edited by deeRez on Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In and of itself, self-evident.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:07 pm

My machine's modded, so thanks for the info! I'll take things to PM's if there's any confusion.

Any plans for a next big Eva purchase? Dunno if I want Essential Eva Chronicle Side A & B or other stuff out there (sadly waiting on U.S. NGE BDs, however long that'll take).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:09 pm

Now that Comixology has titles from Dark Horse, I'm slooowly collecting the Eva manga that are available. I just bought Tony Takezaki's Neon Genesis Evangelion and it's my favorite of all the Eva spin-offs I've seen. Absolutely hilarious. :lol:

Right now I'm debating whether I want to get Chronicle Side A or the Hong Kong Bluray of 3.33. I've held off buying it til now on the chance Funi will get off their asses and release the English version, and with my luck they'll finally announce the thing RIGHT after I get it.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:55 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:My machine's modded, so thanks for the info! I'll take things to PM's if there's any confusion.

* inserts Kaji's broken English: Good Luck! *
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN9GiMFWKPE#t=27

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Dunno if I want Essential Eva Chronicle Side A & B or other stuff out there.

Hmm. It depends on if it'll annoy you or not that Parts A & B are incomplete. If it annoys you, then don't.

I decided to get the full Japanese Evangelion Chronicles due to me wanting the Evangelion Proposal cause it seemed like a very cool piece of Eva history:
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion_Proposal

Sadly it is not included in the Eva Chronicles A & B books :/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/9865/The-Essential-Evangelion-Chronicle-Side-A-and-Side-B/

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:(sadly waiting on U.S. NGE BDs, however long that'll take).

Are you okay with having to overlay your own subtitles?
Why not get the Japanese NGE BDs?

I decided to get the Japanese version of the NGE BDs instead:
https://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/shopping/evastore_B4002901 (out of stock)

Good luck waiting on Funimation! :)

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Any plans for a next big Eva purchase?

I'm slowly hitting "Peak Eva" - where I have everything I wanted.
Primarily I'm focused on getting art, storyboard, design documents, to inspire me as an artist/designer/programmer/storyteller when I hit a creative block.

In essence it's:
- Film strips that are unique
- I still need to get the full Sadamoto Evangelion manga set
- Eva CRC 3.0 and Eva CRC 4.0 (whenever they get released)
- Eva Real Action Hero toys
- Eva GroundWorks books
- Sadamoto art books
- Eva phones, depending on if they look well designed or not

So as of now, I'm primarily just waiting.

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:I just bought Tony Takezaki's Neon Genesis Evangelion and it's my favorite of all the Eva spin-offs I've seen. Absolutely hilarious.

I need to give it a read!

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:... or the Hong Kong Bluray of 3.33. I've held off buying it til now on the chance Funi will get off their asses and release the English version, and with my luck they'll finally announce the thing RIGHT after I get it.

If you don't mind having to overlay subtitles - I'd suggest to go with the official Japanese version!
In and of itself, self-evident.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:03 am

I originally was going to buy all the Japanese BDs (had 2.22 with film strip for awhile) but couldn't afford getting all of em/wanted to support Funi, so I sold that and eventually collected Funi BD 1.11 and 2.22...Of course, 3.33 craziness soon happened...

No extra cash ($300 USD for import vs probably $100~ish for U.S. release) NGE BDs, either.

I'm used to American releases getting screwed over or incomplete (e.g. Only Funimation's first pressing of 1.11 had the Fly Me.... trailers), so yeah, no worries. :sweatdrop: We don't even have that newer Chronicle picture collection stateside (Asuka on cover), so yeah.

____

Tuesday edit: Rei Ayanami Paint, ladies and gents:

cody727kirby
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby cody727kirby » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:17 pm

Evangelion Chronicle Side A is very worth it IMO, the layout of the artwork is beautiful to have. It's like having the anime episodes on paper, not just an encyclopedia of information. You can just add the information that is missing or incorrect on sticky notes or something, noted from Literary Eagle's review.

http://literaryeagle.tumblr.com/post/121921611439/for-my-32nd-evangelion-book-review-here-is-the

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:06 pm

Received my second Kotobukiya Technique Impossible resin kit (I already had the Eva-00 with the LoL, now I also have the Eva-01). Now if I could just find a decently priced Eva-02...

Don't expect a build of one anytime soon, those kits are bloody complicated...they are on my "scary kits" list.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:16 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:
Tuesday edit: Rei Ayanami Paint, ladies and gents:

I must have a gallon of this to paint my house.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:55 pm

View Original PostShamsiel-kun wrote:Don't expect a build of one anytime soon, those kits are bloody complicated...they are on my "scary kits" list.

So which will happen first...You build yours...I build mine...Final comes out...or... Half-Life 3 comes out? :lol:
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:37 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:So which will happen first...You build yours...I build mine...Final comes out...or... Half-Life 3 comes out? :lol:

Final will definitely come first. Half-Life 3 I don't know (is it like the Duke Nukem game that got delayed forever?).

On the other hand, the TI kits are nowhere near the top of my "scary kits" list. That distinction goes to Wave's 1/100 Walker Machine Xabungle Walker Galliar vinyl/injection kit (fully transformable and articulated, found one excellent Japanese build of it with comments saying it was really hard to build), followed by Pit-Road's 1/35 Type-82/87 resin/white metal kits (there's injection kits available, but I could get the resin kits for less...well, that was a good lesson to learn :facepalm: ), followed by Wave's 1/72 Macross 7 VF-17S/D vinyl/injection kit (not transformable, but fully articulated). Then only the TI kits come.

Mind you, I have about 450 other kits -o-; that are all easier than those on the "scary" list.

What I'm most worried about on the TI kits are getting a proper finish and painting the rubber parts (couldn't they have used white vinyl for those, like on one of Bandai's Patlabor kits, instead of black rubber? :irked: )

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:48 pm

I would suspect that having all the rubber the same color is just for practicality's sake. Sure, 90% of it is supposed to be black because is the "skin" under the armor, but then the nice and colorful arms get the shaft in the process.

The "easy" kits have their own downfall. You pick one up, and then another one...and another one...I've got so many easy kits started that got the attention transferred to another easy kit.

At least form a personal finance point of view it's a good thing that no new kits were announced recently.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:29 pm

I'm going to leave this here. Don't know if this is a bridge too far, but the models look nice.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:32 pm

WHAT THE ACTUAL-

First Sailor Moon, and now Eva?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:50 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I'm going to leave this here. Don't know if this is a bridge too far, but the models look nice.

Kaji and Gendo have shaved for Schick. The bridge has already been crossed and burned. Anything's possible now.

FullMetalBiscuit
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FullMetalBiscuit » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:51 am

Got the End of Evangelion LD boxset for £70 including postage. Finding this in the UK was awesome enough, but getting it so cheap was even better. Everything is still sealed as well. There is some damage to the packaging but I can't complain. It's a really cool set.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:53 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:but the models look nice.

This is a must to sell lingerie, we all know this. The SM ones honestly are more out there than the Eva versions.

People are forgetting the men's and women's underpants that came out a couple years ago. This is the next logical thing so I'm not surprised.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:48 pm

^ Oh, trust me. I have not forgotten. :devil:

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:14 pm

These are very lovely and [s]I'm sure very expensive[/s]: $120 USD :jawdrop:

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:25 am

They're still monetizing the swords exhibit. Action figures would be more suited but wouldn't have the same elegance and refinement as dolls.

Always thought of the tanto as a dagger vs. a sword, but the Japanese are calling it a sword.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

svenge
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby svenge » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:45 pm

View Original PostAR-99 wrote:Always thought of the tanto as a dagger vs. a sword, but the Japanese are calling it a sword.

I always thought of it as more of a dirk, if one overlooks the obvious differences in handles.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”