Evangelion Manga: Final Volume out February 2015

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:31 pm

You mean Amazon UK? It's up on US Amazon: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PYZXXVY/
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:10 am

Amazon.com (I followed the link from Viz). As I said - it has no pricing and no way to buy when I visit it. But perhaps that's regional, like the Apple store (though Amazon has always applied that at the till in the past IME).

Regional restrictions on digital products are just stupid.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "Suki da, Yano" - Bokura ga ita ep.21 (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:31 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Amazon.com (I followed the link from Viz). As I said - it has no pricing and no way to buy when I visit it. But perhaps that's regional, like the Apple store (though Amazon has always applied that at the till in the past IME).

Regional restrictions on digital products are just stupid.

Yeah, I get a price and an option to buy. Why restrict digital content by region? That doesn't even make any sense.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Why restrict digital content by region? That doesn't even make any sense.

Because they can. Virtually all software costs more to download here than in the US, for instance (and I don't just mean VAT - Adobe typically convert prices at £1=$1 and then add the VAT).

I tried a VPN, and Amazon showed me a price - but then it said I'd never connected from that IP before and asked a security question (my phone number) which I got wrong (because it had stored the country code in a different format from what I typed) so it locked me out without allowing even a single retry.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Jäeger
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:43 am

Spanish release goes to 12th december
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by its side???

tzigi
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby tzigi » Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:04 pm

Bought my copy today. The Polish publishing house (Japonica Polonica Fantastica) released it on the correct day but they are hostile to the main bookstores (JPF was selling it only via their crappy webpage) and it took some time for the manga to get there.
And I have to say that I forgot just how perfect those last few chapters were. I know that many people prefer the anime but for me there's no better Eva then the mangaverse. I especially loved the thematic unity regarding the use of hands

the spoilery stuff about the new character (since the proper thread for it is closed)   SPOILER: Show
The scene with the new character ie. Mari was translated to underline her unrequited love to Yui. And it was couched precisely in a term meaning romantic attachement (but not really sexual one). In Polish there's a difference between "kochać się w kimś" (to be in love with somebody - like just newly fallen in love, maybe not very strongly or deeply but truely - something that might happen to a teenager - and it implies the lack of reciprocity) and "kochać kogoś" (to love somebody). The translator used the former one. And, as regards the translator - I've asked him on his ask.fm account whether he had considered a different translation or this was the only correct one. When I get the answer I'll post it here.
Quidquid agis, prudenter agas.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:17 pm

View Original Posttzigi wrote:Bought my copy today. The Polish publishing house (Japonica Polonica Fantastica) released it on the correct day but they are hostile to the main bookstores (JPF was selling it only via their crappy webpage) and it took some time for the manga to get there.
And I have to say that I forgot just how perfect those last few chapters were. I know that many people prefer the anime but for me there's no better Eva then the mangaverse. I especially loved the thematic unity regarding the use of hands

the spoilery stuff about the new character (since the proper thread for it is closed)   SPOILER: Show
The scene with the new character ie. Mari was translated to underline her unrequited love to Yui. And it was couched precisely in a term meaning romantic attachement (but not really sexual one). In Polish there's a difference between "kochać się w kimś" (to be in love with somebody - like just newly fallen in love, maybe not very strongly or deeply but truely - something that might happen to a teenager - and it implies the lack of reciprocity) and "kochać kogoś" (to love somebody). The translator used the former one. And, as regards the translator - I've asked him on his ask.fm account whether he had considered a different translation or this was the only correct one. When I get the answer I'll post it here.

SPOILER: Show
Ah yes, thank you for the confirmation. Just as I said in the other thread, any translator worth a salt would understand the romantic connotation.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:43 am

I'm curious: Does the bardzo Polska edition (and other international editions) of the Eva manga include the few color pages that the Japanese manga volumes include? I think I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) VIZ's English 3-in-1 Omnibus includes the color pages, but the single volumes definitely don't, last I checked.

And are there any countries other than Japan that includes the Volume subtitle the Japanese manga does? Volume 13's was Calling, while Volume 14's is Setting Off (in Japanese 旅立ち--same title as Last Stage). Thanks!
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Literary Eagle
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:31 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm curious: Does the bardzo Polska edition (and other international editions) of the Eva manga include the few color pages that the Japanese manga volumes include?

Well, I can confirm the French edition from Glénat includes the color pages. ^_^

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:And are there any countries other than Japan that includes the Volume subtitle the Japanese manga does? Volume 13's was Calling, while Volume 14's is Setting Off (in Japanese 旅立ち--same title as Last Stage).

The French version of Volume 13 has the subtitle "Calling" (yes, it uses the English word just like the Japanese publication did), while Volume 14 has "Nouveau Départ" ("Fresh Start").

Sailor Star Dust wrote:I'm curious: Does the bardzo Polska edition (and other international editions) of the Eva manga include the few color pages that the Japanese manga volumes include? I think I've heard (correct me if I'm wrong) VIZ's English 3-in-1 Omnibus includes the color pages, but the single volumes definitely don't, last I checked.

And are there any countries other than Japan that includes the Volume subtitle the Japanese manga does? Volume 13's was Calling, while Volume 14's is Setting Off (in Japanese 旅立ち--same title as Last Stage). Thanks!

View Original Postgarfy wrote:Argentinian version includes both, the color pages, and the volume subtitle (not on the front cover, but on the back cover and on the opening page).
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 08, 2014 7:35 pm

Messy split/merge some stuff into the Extra Stage discussion thread: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16414/SPOILER-TAGS-Last-Eva-Manga-Volume-Features-New-Character/

Carry on!

Dataprime
Donor
Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:48 am

Finally put my order in today!
:rei_dance: :rei_dance:

Only a week left yay

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:46 am

I wonder if the extra pages are included in the US release of this manga.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:59 am

According to the person who's already received it, yes.
[url]https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17150/Volume-14-of-Sadamotos-Manga-Anybody-else-got-their-copy/[/url]

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:23 pm

Sweet. Thanks! Ordering that as soon as I get the chance.

hui43210
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Not sure where to put this, so I'm sticking it here, we're getting the last 2 vol in an omnibus as well.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/661322373216403456
Is the 3.0 spoiler policy gone?.... Cool, then I'm nominating myself as EvaGeeks 1# Sakura Suzuhara fan/nerd.

I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

Sicarius VI
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:35 pm

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:Not sure where to put this, so I'm sticking it here, we're getting the last 2 vol in an omnibus as well.

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/661322373216403456

That's a long time for a put together of the two.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:35 pm

Well, I figured there was no way they wouldn't do that sometime. The only question in my mind is whether they will add any significant extras to bulk the volume's thickness up to better match the others; but on the whole I doubt they will.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:03 pm

Have individual US releases. Still buying this one.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:31 pm

^ Wouldn't that be redundant? I have the first omnibus, but that's only because the bindings for those volumes were starting to go bad (they were the old "special editions" if anyone remembers those). Other than a few translation changes, I didn't really see much of an advantage.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 03, 2015 8:37 am

^ I want the matching bindings in my collection, really. And the omnibus releases have larger pages, giving the reader higher fidelity and resolution in Sadamoto's art.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”