FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderator: Board Staff

xanderkh
Donor
Donor

Re: FanFiction Requests/Recommendations/Discussion etc.

•      
  •      

Postby xanderkh » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:42 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The problem with Kadmon's fics is that they're so relentlessly dark they cross the line into self-parody on a regular basis. A Throne of Bayonets and Genocide are much better options IMO (though IIRC the former goes full WAFF in its sequel).

To be fair, Throne of Bayonets did have a pretty BLEAK premise that pretty much permeated throughout the fic, and it's hard to say if Asuka and Shinji were in a better position at the end then when they started. Even Shinji pretty much asked himself "How long can this "relationship" last?" at the end. So, it makes sense for Crown of Stars to go in the opposite direction, though I can't be a critic of it yet as I haven't read it all the way through, but it IS on my "To-Do" list.

Genocide however, is a good balance between Bleak and hopeful, as both Asuka, Rei, and Shinji are in a much better place they were at the beginning, but it wasn't without some pain and sacrifice. It was a healthy balance of struggle and hope. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Geometer
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Geometer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:27 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:The problem with Kadmon's fics is that they're so relentlessly dark they cross the line into self-parody on a regular basis. A Throne of Bayonets and Genocide are much better options IMO (though IIRC the former goes full WAFF in its sequel).

I've read that and some of Kadmon's other fics and I have to agree. They grimdark and often break the characters, like the one where Ristuko rapes Shinji or when Rei becomes a psychopath obsessed with making Shinji go berserk. They grimdark for the sake of grim darkness and don't really feel like evangelion. Will take a look at the others though.

Guy Nacks
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:03 pm

If you want good grimdark that isn't as suicidally nihilistic as Kadmon, I recommend works by Verbl Kint 187, specifically "Hopes and Heroes" which is a post Third Impact fic, and "The Lighthouse," which is good but unfinished.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon May 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Damn that fanfiction - I've finally finished writing that scene I was stuck at, but I gave myself a major case of the feels in the process.

I'm as guilty of overusing the spirit guide vision trope as everyone else, so I thought it was about time for a twist.
As a result, Kaworu and Rei don't really have any more of a clue how to fix things than anybody else does; They just know it's theoretically possible to break the loop and hope that Shinji can do it - When he calls them out on this in his usual frustrated/bratty/its-not-fair manner and accuses them of just demanding impossible things from him the way that Misato and Gendo do in his subjective present, they turn out to be just as close to their breaking point as he is and get all emotional on him and basically start apologizing for the events of EoE and Q & displaying signs their obvious fondness for him, leaving this version of Shinji - who hasn't even met Kaworu, for one thing, and is suspiciously incapable or unwilling to remember or conclude what exactly caused Third Impact in earlier timelines - rather perplexed and vaguely guilty;
He's on his own and it was only his tendency to want to be "guided" or "saved" that led him to assume someone has the answers.

Basically: "The silver youths before him may have been alike to demigods, but hat also made them demi-human"

(The idea that this means they're in the same boat and should join forces in a more equal fashion, albeit overlooking different realms of action, will occur to him later after some Angel-slaying and an inspirational talk with PresentDay!Misato, but he's not there yet and at my current pace I may not get to that scene in months ^^°)
And I know an eighteenth charm, and that charm is the greatest of all, and that charm I can tell to no man, for a secret that no one knows but you is the most powerful secret there can ever be.

ChaddyManPrime
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri May 26, 2017 8:34 am

Like holy shit guys, Unbroken has been updated :huh:
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

RadicalRandy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby RadicalRandy » Fri May 26, 2017 6:58 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:Like holy shit guys, Unbroken has been updated :huh:

Certainly a surprise, I just thought that it was forever dead.
"Thunder Cross Split Attack!" - Dire
"I'm just a simple man trying to make my way in the universe." - Shmango Fett

https://www.fanfiction.net/~misterradical

brer rabbit
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brer rabbit » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:35 pm

I have heard of a lot of theories as to who Mari Illustrious Makinami could be, Asuka half-sister, a clone of Kyoko Zeppelin Soryu, even an Angel but this one right here has to be the the most... out there theory.

She's Asuka Langley Soryu as perceived by Asuka Langley Soryu. If Rebuild is a Stealth Sequel, it's conceivable that everyone was pulled out of the partially-complete Instrumentality to create the inhabitants of Rebuild. However, Asuka had the benefit of being more 'real' than the average person (both because she is herself an Eva pilot as well as someone important to Instrumentality's Godhead) while having failed to live up to her own perception of herself. In short, Soryu perceived herself as the best and infallible... but events showed that Asuka was neither. So she had the option to either accept that she wasn't the perfect pilot... or that she wasn't Asuka. She chose the latter, and the rebuild incarnated her as Mari, a totally-for-real-and-for-true not Asuka who otherwise fits her.

Return to “Fanfiction”