Robocop as Satire

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

Robocop as Satire

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:04 am

You know I had no real idea that Robocop was satirical work until I read a few articles on the topic. Is the Robocop franchise a satire on American consumerism, action movies, big corporations and even police force?
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:31 am

In a way, yes, as the Verhoeven Robocop was a pointed poke at the norms of the 80s, most notably shown on the TV advertisements that clearly depict the extent of OCP's influence.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:47 pm

The ORIGINAL Robocop was a satire of America. The sequels, the remake & all other stuff done after that (hello Robocop cartoon series) dropped the satire angle. Or they just weren't any good at it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:58 pm

All of Verhoeven's movies are satires of something.

I don't know about Showgirls. Never seen it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:58 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't know about Showgirls. Never seen it.

Showgirls is a satire of film as a whole and it's brilliant.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:18 pm

Watching Showgirls will give you an STD, empty your bank account, and set your car on fire.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:32 pm

^

That's what Ex girlfriend/wife do... :lol:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Reality imitating fiction, and yet... B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:20 pm

View Original Postsoul.assassin wrote:In a way, yes, as the Verhoeven Robocop was a pointed poke at the norms of the 80s, most notably shown on the TV advertisements that clearly depict the extent of OCP's influence.

OCP is real now. Came about only three or four years after the film premiered in fact.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:37 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Watching Showgirls will give you an STD, empty your bank account, and set your car on fire.

Will it do my laundry? Sounds like girlfriend material.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:59 am

Showgirls is actually a wonderfully weird & guilty pleasure satire of the traditional "A Star Is Born" tale. It's the rise of an artist to being world renowned except in this case all she can do is strip better than most. Plus, bless Elizabeth Berkley & her limited skills she's magically over the top & silly.

Only downside for me is a very VERY tonally unpleasant & out of nowhere rape in the last 15 minutes that is just at odds with the rest of the film. Literally, the movie is all fun, thongs & eating dog food until that really hateful scene comes out of nowhere.

Still, it's hard to hate a movie with a scene as goofy as this-

[url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6kVZ5B9uV0[/url]

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:42 pm

Verhoeven's Robocop is a satire on the excesses of 80's America but the sequels focused a lot less on the satire and more on the action. I really need to pay attention to these things or I need to go to a pop culture, film or humanities class. Still, I had no idea that it had satirical elements until I went to a few blogs on the subject but Robocop also parodies action moves. Murphy himself is a literal robot who says witty one liners before dishing out the pain and when he does fight, he does so in a fantastic and manner. I really need to pay attention to these things but then again analysis is a skill that I lack.
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

Tribblepoo
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Tribblepoo » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:30 am

View Original PostGAP wrote:Verhoeven's Robocop is a satire on the excesses of 80's America but the sequels focused a lot less on the satire and more on the action. I really need to pay attention to these things or I need to go to a pop culture, film or humanities class. Still, I had no idea that it had satirical elements until I went to a few blogs on the subject but Robocop also parodies action moves. Murphy himself is a literal robot who says witty one liners before dishing out the pain and when he does fight, he does so in a fantastic and manner. I really need to pay attention to these things but then again analysis is a skill that I lack.

Robocop 2 really seemed to be so focused on more character development of Robocop that any satire element fell flat. Robocop 3 was just garbage.
"Having sex with extreme gas must be how the Scots came up with the idea for bagpipes."

Return to “Film and Video”