[MANGA] [NGE] The Differences

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Crazyman42
Lilith

[NGE] The Differences

•      
  •      

Postby Crazyman42 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:31 pm

I've only bought up to Volume 2 of the manga and so far I haven't seen that many differences between the Manga and the Anime. So what are the differences between the Manga and the Anime?

Asuka Langley
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka Langley » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:45 pm

The major differences start showing up a little later on.
There's a good 'Manga vs Anime ' here: http://evageeks.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9
We'll see whachu' got.

http://xrl.us/ccnh

Kiel
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kiel » Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:13 pm

Okay!

If We mention the MAJOR story differences between the manga and anime, you better be prepared.

*Spoilers*

I've only read a few volumes of the manga, so I don't know all of them, but...

*when Toji pilots Eva unit 03, he is killed by unit 01.

*The NERV blackout is shorter, and the 8th angel attacks before the blackout.

there are lots of other smaller differences in the story and timeline as well.

Any other big ones, guys?
The Amytiville Toaster

Makes Breakfast Spooky!

kevck000
Embryo

Re: [MANGA] [NGE] The Differences

•      
  •      

Postby kevck000 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:27 pm

*Spoiler Alert*

Rei Ayanami fights Sachiel in Unit 0-1 and loses before Shinji Ikari fights Sachiel in a repaired Unit 0-1.
Ritsuko Akagi meets Shinji and Misato Katsuragi in NERV’s hallways instead of one of NERV’s elevator in the anime.
When Shinji goes to Rei II’s room to deliver her NERV card, Shinji does not fall on top of Rei and leaves the room before Rei II.
Misato’s pet spring penguin Pen Pen, is given a backstory. Misato adopted Pen Pen because it was about to be euthanized and that MK did not like, “being alone”.
Asuka Soryu defeats Gaghiel without Shinji inside Unit 0-2’s cockpit and without ramming battleships inside Gaghiel’s mouth.
Asuka, Shinji, Toji, and Kensuke meet Asuka inside an arcade (post Gaghiel fight)instead on the surface of one of the UN’s carriers. Asuka is assaulted by other arcade goers, but she repels her attackers and flees.
Shinji and Asuka sleep in the same room, but on separate beds.
When Asuka gets frustrated and leaves the party, it is Kaji who tells Shinji to console Asuka instead of the Class Rep.
Kaji...does not grab Misato’s breasts and kiss her in whatever episode that occurred.
Shinji and Rei meet in Rei’s room in which Rei asks Shinji if he wants tea. Not knowing how to make tea, Rei scalds herself with hot water in which Shinji grabs her hand to cool it off in the sink. Rei remembers this.
Instead of planning to visit Yui Ikari’s gravesite, Shinji unexpectedly meets Gendo Ikari at the grave, believing Gendo has forgotten the anniversary of her Death.
There is no “Magma Diver” manga adaptation.
There is no Matarael, but there is still a blackout in which Asuka and Shinji attempt to kiss in the dark, only stopping to find Misato and Kaji inside an opening elevator, now conveniently active due to restoration of power.
There is no Ireul (Hacking episode).
Asuka asks Shinji to deliver a love letter to Kaji. Shinji reads the content of the letter. Asuka professes her Love for Kaji in the room where Kaji is working on his computer. Kaji, instead of ignoring Asuka talks to her. (There is no harbor scene between Asuka and Kaji, but when Instrumentality occurs, Asuka visualizes Kaji before becoming LCL)
Toji invites Shinji to his home to talk about his fear of piloting the EVA. Shinji is thus informed that Unit 0-3 is piloted by Toji prior to the Dummy System killing, not injuring Bardiel/Toji. (A mirror matchup between those without “Control”)
Kaji is given a backstory as he shares his anecdote with a dispirited Shinji in s for the Watermelon scene. Teenage Kaji, after a recent Second Impact, attempts to steal food for himself and his friends to survive a barren world in which he describes that the “The Four Horsemen rode everyday” He is caught by guards and interrogated violently. Kaji reveals the location of his friends. Kaji returns to see all his friends, dead, killed by the soldiers. Kaji questions himself and Shinji, “Do I deserve Happiness?”.
Unit 0-0 fights Zeruel briefly along and with Asuka before Shinji steps in.
An incubating Kaworu, is shown inside of Seele’s test tubes.
Shinji’s transcendental interaction with his mother, occurs after the berserk Unit 0-1’s fight with Zeruel. There is no Leliel.
Ritsuko strangles Rei Ayanami (II) inside NERV’s infirmary after the Zeruel fight.
Kaworu after hatching, debuts playing a piano.
Kaworu does (not) kill a stray kitten.
When Asuka is distressed with low synchronization rates, Kaworu steps inside the woman’s bathroom and asks a frustrated Asuka to open up to Unit 0-2. (Instead of Rei Ayanami advising Asuka in NERV’s elevators)
Asuka after being reduced to a vegetative state, is replaced by Kaworu who battles Armisael in Unit 0-2 along with Rei Ayanami.
The hospital scene differs in that Shinji does not do what any man would do in THAT situation. When Shinji observes Asuka, Asuka wakes up for a bit and strangles Shinji before medical staff restrain her.

(My own interpretations of differences between the Anime and Manga)

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:20 pm

View Original Postkevck000 wrote:*Spoiler Alert*

Good work. The evageeks wiki looks like it hasn't been touched in a while.
http://wiki.evageeks.org/Sadamoto%27s_Manga

I'll just add in my own emphases though

When Shinji goes to Rei II’s room to deliver her NERV card, Shinji does not fall on top of Rei and leaves the room before Rei II.

Doesn't he? Differences as I remember:
1. The glasses have G. Ikari written on them and Shinji wonders if they're his. (note: Gendo apparently only switched to Kojak specs after the flashback to Rei's injuries. Shinji never saw these nerd glasses so he'd have no way of knowing they're his)
2. He does not put on the glasses. (our commentators would like you to know
3. Rei asks Shinji if he has 'faith in his own father's work' on some flat terrain. She does not slap Shinji when he says no.

Shinji and Asuka sleep in the same room, but on separate beds.

1. After an odd scene where Shinji invites Gendo to lunch Asuka asks if he has daddy issues.
2. Asuka responds by asserting she was the product of an elite spermbank and has no father. (I think this is manga only backstory)

Shinji and Rei meet in Rei’s room in which Rei asks Shinji if he wants tea. Not knowing how to make tea, Rei scalds herself with hot water in which Shinji grabs her hand to cool it off in the sink. Rei remembers this.

1. On TV, Misato is aware of the anniversary of Yui's death and drives him to the graveyard. In the manga she doesn't seem to know and he goes there on his own.
2. Shinji asks Gendo if he's forgotten the anniversary. Rei tells him he needs to confront Gendo 'or nothing will change for him'. She later laments that nothing will change for her.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Sat Jan 14, 2017 9:26 am

Let's not forget Gendo turning into a JRPG villain being an almost completely different character by the end.
Anybody remotely interesting is mad, in some way or another.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”