[LAEM] Eva movie casting ideas?

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

[LAEM] Eva movie casting ideas?

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:04 pm

with the live action evangelion movie section locked (?), are we not allowed to create topics that would go there elsewhere or what?
if this is the case i apologize, it was locked before my arrival at this site and i could not find any info inregards to its locking and the rules around it.

so my question is WHO WOULD YOU CAST IN A LIVE ACTION EVANGELION MOVIE?
my picks
WALTON GOGGINS as GENDO IKARI
ImageImage
ImageImage
JERE BURNS as KOZO FUYUTSUKI
HAYLEY ATWELL as Misato
ImageImage
ASA BUTTERFIELD as Shinji IKARI
SAOIRSE RONAN as Rei & CHLOE GRACE MORETZ as Asuka

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:06 pm

See also

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/26/LAEM-Pick-the-cast/
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:36 pm

Forgive me for being blunt. But why the hell are they all white people?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:54 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Forgive me for being blunt. But why the hell are they all white people?

Sorry bro,
1.) my point withthat line up was to have a best case scenario if the cast was whitewashed to a extent which seems likely if we where to ever get a mainstream big budget Eva movie)
2.) im not framilar with younger Asian actors to have a pick for Shinji
3.) a Asian Gendo that I would love to see is hiroyuki sanada (the twilight samurai, the wolverine, sunshine, the last samurai, 47 ronin)
4.) Misato.... Hard to say, for me I would want the mature motherly but sexy vibe to be intact, maybe Ming na wen (Mulan, agents of shield)
5.) sorry for any offense man

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:15 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Forgive me for being blunt. But why the hell are they all white people?

Nine out of ten anime characters are mukokuseki, mate. Chill.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: EVA MOVIE CASTING IDEAS?

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:08 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:with the live action evangelion movie section locked (?), are we not allowed to create topics that would go there elsewhere or what?

It's hard to have a conversation about something that isn't a real thing.

Most of the threads were locked or inactive, so we put them in their own little casket.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:24 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:It's hard to have a conversation about something that isn't a real thing

Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Anyhoo, topic: CGM as Asuka? No. Emma Watson as Asuka? Yesssssstthhhhh.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:09 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Ehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe

Anyhoo, topic: CGM as Asuka? No. Emma Watson as Asuka? Yesssssstthhhhh.

Didn't Anno say way back when that Emma Watson would have been his own ideal casting choice for Asuka?

Anyway topics like this are just masturbatory fodder for wish fulfillment for something that would probably turn out to be a nightmare if it ever happened, which it won't. If anything, I'd expect to see a live action Mobile Suit Gundam film before Eva and chances of even THAT happening are extremely slim to none.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

LegionWrex
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby LegionWrex » Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:42 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:If anything, I'd expect to see a live action Mobile Suit Gundam film before Eva and chances of even THAT happening are extremely slim to none.

Well, if recent rumors are true, we may actually see a live action Gundam.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2014/03/30/live-action-gundam-production-work-rumored
"....Bang." -Spike Spiegel (Cowboy Bebop)
"Shorty?!? Can a shorty do this?!?" -Edward Elric (FMA)
"I've had many lives, many faces. But there is one face I try to forget..." -The Doctor (Doctor Who)
"So say we all!" -Admiral Adama (Battlestar Galactica)
"The only impossible is impossibility!" -Phineas Flynn (Phineas and Ferb)
"Screw you guys, I'm going home!" -Eric Cartman (South Park)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:10 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Didn't Anno say way back when that Emma Watson would have been his own ideal casting choice for Asuka?

If he did my opinion of him has been dramatically raised.

e: I did some checking. The only source I can find is hearsay from a con panel, posted on EGF.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:11 am

Seriously, is it too much to ask for ONE Asian superhero in a big budget Hollywood blockbuster? One that doesn't suck?

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:39 am

I don't think it's any more necessary that an actor be white than that they be black, Asian, or otherwise. Movies shouldn't cast based on race (unless they need to be time period specific, or something.) Granted, Hollywood can be racist and sexist, but that's another story altogether. I mean, in the Avengers comics, Nick Fury is white. Samuel Jackson sure as hell ain't white, but he does an amazing job with the character.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:56 am

I think going Social Justicar on every movie and whining about the hollywood system and its whitewashing is a shitty way to approach the appreciation of movies and generally think it's a waste of time to analyze and second guess every decision a director makes looking for racism or sexism or whatever to complain about.

That said, whitewashing is a real problem and it's particularly egregious with movies that, realistically, should have Asian leads. When you cast Keanu Reeves as the lead in a movie about Japanese people in Japan like five hundred years ago there is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.
the prophecy is true

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:00 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think going Social Justicar on every movie and whining about the hollywood system and its whitewashing is a shitty way to approach the appreciation of movies and generally think it's a waste of time to analyze and second guess every decision a director makes looking for racism or sexism or whatever to complain about... when you cast Keanu Reeves as the lead in a movie about Japanese people in Japan like five hundred years ago there is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.

ZING

Also QFT. Couldn't have put it better myself- although it's important to remember that discrimination is alive and well. ^_^

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:12 am

Come back in a year & it'll be a whole new cast.

..And Chloe Moretz will still be a terrible actress.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Seriously, is it too much to ask for ONE Asian superhero in a big budget Hollywood blockbuster? One that doesn't suck?

Watch the wolverine (2013) it's probably the best of the x movies, the whole cast is Asian besides jackman and Famke Janssen, and all are pretty good actors too.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Come back in a year & it'll be a whole new cast.

..And Chloe Moretz will still be a terrible actress.

Have you seen let me in?

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I think going Social Justicar on every movie and whining about the hollywood system and its whitewashing is a shitty way to approach the appreciation of movies and generally think it's a waste of time to analyze and second guess every decision a director makes looking for racism or sexism or whatever to complain about.

That said, whitewashing is a real problem and it's particularly egregious with movies that, realistically, should have Asian leads. When you cast Keanu Reeves as the lead in a movie about Japanese people in Japan like five hundred years ago there is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.

For the record reeves was a producer on the film and originally intended to only be a small role/presence in the film, and the lead samurai was to be the central chracter but other producers threatened to back out of the production if they didn't expand his role (something along those lines)

Stillborn
Banned

Postby Stillborn » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:46 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Have you seen let me in?

Hey, I enjoyed Kick-Ass with all its goofyness :D

But LMI was awesome and Chloe was convincing in Abby's role ^_^
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:49 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Watch the wolverine (2013) it's probably the best of the x movies...

I haven't seen The Wolverine but I bet X2 begs to differ.

:wink:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:15 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:I haven't seen The Wolverine but I bet X2 begs to differ.

:wink:

x2 is great no question, personally i hold first class and the wolverine above it, just my opinion.
all 3 are very strong.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:30 pm

I have seen Let Me In. Was not impressed with her work. Kodi Smit-McPhee did all the heavy lifting in that movie.

Never understood the appeal of Chloe Moretz myself. If she's not merely passable - she's the weakest element of Scorsese's otherwise excellent HUGO - she's flat & one-note.

Hopefully she'll soon exit this fan-pandering "I'm the hardcore kid in all these hard R rated horror movies" stage & have to actually act.

Her best work by far have been her appearances on 30 Rock.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”