"Rebuild of Evangelion"

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

"Rebuild of Evangelion"

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:50 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the forums came to a consensus a while ago that the correct term for the new movies was "New Theatrical Edition". The wiki is littered with references to Rebuild as pertaining to the movies, and not the special features. Cleanup seems to be needed.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:04 pm

I started that work some time ago, but apparently the consensus is to use the "Rebuild of Evangelion" designation, because that's how must people call it, even if it's not the official name.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:07 pm

That does seem to be the consensus, but I'm actually with Nuke on this one -- the name of the work is "Evangelion New Theatrical series", and that's official as of the Khara calendars (which have it written in English in a couple of different places). We can't change the name of the forum for technical reasons, but we can (and should) attempt to stick with the official name (or something very similar, such as "Evangelion New Movie Edition" or Evangelion New Theatrical Edition") on the wiki whenever possible.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:42 pm

Obviously, replacing everything is going to be somewhat invasive and may take a week or so to pull off. I'll do the best that I can though.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:33 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:because that's how must people call it, even if it's not the official name.

If I remember right, changing things the wiki and forums from "Rebuild of Evangelion" can screw up certain settings (Google search, etc). That's why we have to leave it alone. Maybe somebody else that remembers more details can go into a better explanation than me.

The pages for Eva 1.0, etc proper do use the official title (Funimation's translated it at least 2 different ways and either way works) and refer to Rebuild of Evangelion as the making of special (that's where the name is used) whenever possible.
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Thu Mar 20, 2014 3:40 pm

Ah. I take it making that big of a change is a nasty idea, then.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:17 pm

My understanding is that the changes would be bad for the forums, not the wiki, but it's been awhile since I read through Eva Monkey's explanation of the whys of it. Perhaps he'll weigh in on the matter snd set us all straight.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Rebuild sounds much better than New Theatrical Edition anyways.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 pm

khara's in-house translator renders "Wevangeliwon Shingekijouban" as "Evangelion: New Theatrical" (with the colon), so if anything is going to be used, it should be that.

Note that "series" (shiri-zu) is just additional description from the blurb in the calendar, and NOT part of the series' title.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:41 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:khara's in-house translator renders "Wevangeliwon Shingekijouban" as "Evangelion: New Theatrical" (with the colon), so if anything is going to be used, it should be that.

Note that "series" (shiri-zu) is just additional description from the blurb in the calendar, and NOT part of the series' title.

Yes, correct. That's why I formatted it as I did.

And Dream, using an erroneous title because it sounds better is a bad idea. We should be using the correct title, not the catchy one (though I think "New Theatrical Edition" sounds better than "Rebuild" anyway, so mileage varies on that front).

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:52 pm

How about Neo Neon Genesis Evangelion?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:22 pm

"Rebuild" is what people search for, and so it's what to use to get google-juice.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:48 pm

Good reply from Ornette on SEO/analytics of this subject:
http://forum.evageeks.org/post/515689/Rebuild-vs-NME/#515689
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Yes, that's relevant for the forums. But we're talking about the wiki here, which is separate. Finding the Rebuild forum is important, but any particular page in the wiki, particularly since the individual movie pages already use the correct titles? Not seeing it.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:29 pm

Without getting into too much detail, it's still relevant to the wiki pages from SEO POV because "Rebuild" is going to have a larger search volume by far (too lazy to login into my Google Keywords account to reference numbers). If we were to change it all to NTE it will have a huge effect on page meta-data meaning the pages simply won't appear effectively in search engine results of "Rebuild of Evangelion" or the like.

The note of Evangelion: New Theatrical edition being the official title should maybe just be made more prominent on each respective page...
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Without getting into too much detail, it's still relevant to the wiki pages from SEO POV because "Rebuild" is going to have a larger search volume by far (too lazy to login into my Google Keywords account to reference numbers). If we were to change it all to NTE it will have a huge effect on page meta-data meaning the pages simply won't appear effectively in search engine results of "Rebuild of Evangelion" or the like.

The note of Evangelion: New Theatrical edition being the official title should maybe just be made more prominent on each respective page...

Do we want big search results for the wiki pages, though? I would think we'd want people to start with the forums and then move to the wiki as a reference point later, so it shouldn't matter much whether or not it's a primary hit.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:44 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Do we want big search results for the wiki pages, though? I would think we'd want people to start with the forums and then move to the wiki as a reference point later, so it shouldn't matter much whether or not it's a primary hit.

I'm not sure if that would be a very good idea. Aside from the fact the forums might drive some members away from the wiki and other things the Evageeks site has to offer, IIRC the wiki was the first experience many users had with the site and what made them stay rather than the forum. At least i think i had such an experience/introduction with the place.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:46 pm

Even without the SEO issue, I'd rather keep using Rebuild on the Wiki simply because the word is what everyone defaults to. "Rebuild" means that fans know what you're talking about, while "New Movie Edition" or "New Theatrical Edition" leave people scratching their heads. And frankly, the traffic coming in to the wiki should be independent of what comes to the forum, which is fine.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Yes, that's relevant for the forums. But we're talking about the wiki here, which is separate. Finding the Rebuild forum is important, but any particular page in the wiki, particularly since the individual movie pages already use the correct titles? Not seeing it.

It's even higher for the wiki. Over 98% of all traffic going to the wiki comes from search engines. And, like it was when this all started, "Rebuild" is the highest search word outside of the names of the characters, or the word "Eva" or "Evangelion" or "Angel".

It's a little easier to mitigate on the wiki because you can still leave the links intact, and have it internally redirect. And even if the titles for the movies are "Evangelion 2.0: You Can (Not) Advance", the word "Rebuild" is littered all over the place, in templates, info boxes, headings, etc.

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Do we want big search results for the wiki pages, though? I would think we'd want people to start with the forums and then move to the wiki as a reference point later, so it shouldn't matter much whether or not it's a primary hit.

Believe it or not, once you remove the googlebot traffic, the amount of page visits on the wiki is more than double of that of the forums. People all over the world visit the wiki, including a sizeable portion of visits from Japan. And the number of unique visitors (that is a "person" as opposed to someone viewing a page), is almost triple that of the forums on a daily basis.
Last edited by Ornette on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm

That should mean changing the text isn't a problem, right? Since it will redirect and all, I mean.

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”