Second Impact

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Second Impact

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:11 pm

What exactly went on up to and during Second Impact? I understand the general idea of what happened (humanity reverted adam to his embryo form and thus caused second impact) but can anyone give me some specifics? How exactly did SEELEE put Adam back into his embryo form? How did Adam's soul get into Kaoru?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Xanatose
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:26 pm

Whoa... this is a big one. Okay, a few weeks ago on NGE portal there were a series of threads that led up to this, dealing with Eva-01, Rei, Lilith, Kaoru, Adam, and finally, the events that led to Second Impact. The sheer amount of information covered, in obscure details unearthed, old assumptions buried, and new theories formed, were compilled by several forum goers who spent weeks poring over every minute detail. It was a colossal waste of time, and a testament to our level of geekiness, but by the end of it I was actually glad to be a part of it. ^^;;; Sorta.

But can you understand that I'm just a little too overwhelmed right now by the details to go over it immidiately? Yes? Good times.

I'll be posting here again, as soon as I'm prepared to make a big essay and answer questions. Suffice it to say, these are what some of the more obscure facts we should understand before we begin (there's more to understand, but we'll get to those more obvious details later):

(Spoiler warning)

1) Kaoru contains Adam's soul.
2) Kaoru was born on Second Impact (SI from here on out).
3) SI occured as a result to contain Adam
4) Adam was found with the Lance of Longinus in it's chest (I can get a link to the screen shot of this later.)
5) All life within a certain radius of the research center "ceased to exist."

That information comes from various sources, from EOE, to the director's cut versions of episodes 21 though 24, and since not everyone may have seen these, I felt I should state them directly right here and now.

And now, here are the things I personally speculate on:

1) Adam seemed to be in the process of releasing a vast amount of energy just before SI occured.
2) Adam was seen wearing the bindings of an Eva during SI, but not before, suggesting they were attempting to control him/her/it.
3) Seele and Gendo has predetermined what would happen, though it's vague if they knew exactly the full extent of SI.
4) The scientists performing their experiments on Adam seemed to engage in a last minute attempt to contain Adam that may have set SI in motion.

As you can see, this is a lot to cover, and it'll only grow if I have to bring in the Rei/Lillith/Eva-01 connection. -__-;; I'll get back to you on that later. Remind me if I forget. ^^;;
Last edited by Xanatose on Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:31 pm

Whoa. The Lance in Adam? How was Lilith when they found her than? Don't forget that link to the screenshot of Adam either. Man I'm glad this forum exists. :D
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Phaze
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Re: Second Impact

•      
  •      

Postby Phaze » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:32 pm

Oh well Xanatose beat me to it, I'll keep the explanation up anyway.
Dave wrote:What exactly went on up to and during Second Impact?

The general public was told that a meteor, 10 mm in diameter, crashed into Antarctica. But in reality it was SEELE and Gendo's plan to put Adam in an embryonic form.
How exactly did SEELEE put Adam back into his embryo form?
Not sure on this...
How did Adam's soul get into Kaoru?

It is never officially stated in the series, but MDWigs has a good theory. His idea is basically that some genetic material on the Lance of Longinus was inserted into Adam, and from that Kaworu took form containing Adam's soul. Makes sense, since Kaworu was born On the day of Second Impact.
Last edited by Phaze on Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!

Xanatose
Adam

Re: Second Impact

•      
  •      

Postby Xanatose » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:35 pm

Phaze wrote:
How did Adam's soul get into Kaoru?

It is never officially stated in the series, but MDWings has a good theory. His idea is basically that some genetic material on the Lance of Longinus was inserted into Adam, and from that Kaworu took form containing Adam's soul. Makes sense, since Kaworu was born On the day of Second Impact.

Good times. Indeed, MDwigs was one of the forum goers who I spoke with over this issue, and he helped formulate that and other ideas. I'll be going over all that, and explaining it more in detail later. I just need a nap. I can tell it'll be a big Q&A session. ^^;;

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:47 am

In episode 21 Director's cut explains a lot, but you have to take a lot of attention at the dialog.
Here is the script from that scene:
http://www.evaotaku.com/director_cut/Episode21/

Well, a resume of 2nd impact:
Seele knew for the Dead Sea Scrolls that Adam was in the South Pole, and they went there with a cientific team to make researchs.
They found Adam with the lance of longinus nailed in his back (maybe doing the same effect on lilith, containing his power an keeping him sleeped)
They took the lance and send it to more researchs in some Base in the Dead Sea, while they made experiments with adam, maybe trying to contain him.
Ikari's team leaves before the 2nd impact happens.
The research team makes some experiment between the lance of longinus an the S2 engine of Adam, and all hell broke loose.
Adam awoke, and unleashed his power, making an anti-ATfield, and all the people seems to turned in LCL (in the images we can see a lot of clothing all over the place).
Using the lance again they contained Adam and reduced him to an embryonic state.

The Lance of longinus is powerful, but it isn't Adam's S2 engine, like a lot of people think.

I don't know how they got Adam's soul, or what is that all DNA thing in 2nd impact, so if anyone could answer this for my would be nice :D

Here is the image of the discovery of Adam:
*insert cool signature here*

x1shinji
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby x1shinji » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:27 am

that picture looks fake =/

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:13 am

Its from the Director's Cut episode when Ritsuko destroys all of the Rei clones...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

EVA-01X
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby EVA-01X » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:32 am

Crazy pic. Adam-cicle anyone? :wink:
The demon returns after a long slumber....
http://www.evamade.org/user.php?id.161
New Signature Image Policy
^Clicky for Evamade!

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:04 pm

what i wanna know is why the hell adam is buried in antartica? does anyone know anything bout that?

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:08 pm

That is where the white moon crashed...the black moon which carried Lilith crashed underneath what would become Tokyo-3...
"Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are."-Niccolo Machiavelli

"In religion and politics, people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second hand, and without examination."-Mark Twain

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:12 pm

where did the moons come from? why were adam and lilith on them and what are the purposes of the moons?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:41 pm

It depends on if you believe in the explination of the Eva 2 game or not.

What we know from the series is that Adam and Lilith are 2 different life sources, adam gave birth to angels and give them the fruit of life (the S2 engine). And lilith is the mother of all humankind (and maybe all life) and gave them the fruit of wisdom (cience). Why are they here? we don't know.

From the game we know this:

The white and black moons were seeds of life, that carried life sources.
This seeds were send by aliens to give life in planets.
By accident, 2 seeds went in the same planet, which results the conflict between Adam based and Lilith based life forms.

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:49 pm

ok, so that was the evangelion 2 game's explanation, is that the only one, was there ever an explanation using the anime series storyline. i don't know but the whole aliens sent seeds to inhabit other planets is a little hookey, i know that statement may cause problems but oh well, D , i just want to know the anime series side of the story

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:53 pm

Is the game supposed to be official or what?

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:56 am

i have no idea.
I found all the information about this looking arround pages.
Gainax said that the game will bring the "official" answers to the anime, and even Anno himself was involved in the developing of the game.
That's what i've heard.

I have no idea if all this is true, but i have always thought that aliens were involved, even before the game came.

You can see more information of the game here:
[url]http://www.evangelion.ca/gameva2.html[/url]

The anime has no answer about the origins of Adam and Lilith, no hints, nothing at all.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:01 am

Is that game going to be released in North America (Please say yes)?

MongolSquad
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby MongolSquad » Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:49 am

will any of those will be or was released inthe US?

bp32
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby bp32 » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:02 am

Serioulsy doubt that Eva 2 will be released stateside with an English translation (not a big enough market, or so Bandai probably thinks)--but wouldn't it be sweet :) ??

Mr.Guy
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mr.Guy » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:52 pm

According to the manga, didn't the Katsuragi expedition poke (for lack of better words) Adam with the Lance, causing him to cause 2nd Impact? To quote the manga:

The Second Impact occured on September 13 during the expiremental insertion of the Spear [Lance] into Adam; the UN scientists attempted to pull back after " the planned limit values" were exceeded. The Spear, however, continued to sink into Adam, whose AT Field released itself in an explosion causing a massive tsunami climactic changes, and civil strife that led to the death of 50% of humanity within the next year...

The Lance was designed as a fail-safe, correct? Well maybe they inserted the Lance into Adam in an attempt to reduce him to his embryotic state? Then something went wrong, and his field exploded.[/quote]

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”