Lea Hernandez & her time at Gainax

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Lea Hernandez & her time at Gainax

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:02 pm

Recently, ANNCast had a guest Lea Hernandez, who worked for Gainax (the General Products part of the company) at the end of the 1980s (here is the podast). Needless to say it did not end well for her. Now she is doing a webcomic based on her experiences there. It is pretty interesting.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:10 am

Wait, why is it needless to say?

Is this the lady whose friend was the American interviewee in Otaku no Video?
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:58 pm

I just wanted to give a preview that this was a bad end for her. Perhaps I shouldn't have used those words. And yeah, she knew the guy that they "interviewed."
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

drinian
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby drinian » Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:00 pm

Wow, the comic is a great read, and you can feel the mix of bitterness and enthusiasm coming through. The early fans have some good stories to tell.
[Became an administrator on July 1st, 2006.]

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:00 am

So according to this comic Anno peeked at her?
That's an honor! xD
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:12 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:So according to this comic Anno peeked at her?
That's an honor! xD

In the podcast she says that she went to the Gainax offices in Japan for 2 weeks in the summer of '89 and at the time they were working on Nadia and everything was crazy busy.

She says she did meet Anno, but didn't see him much because he was so bogged down with work and that the first time they met he had just woken up from sleeping under his desk.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:12 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:In the podcast she says that she went to the Gainax offices in Japan for 2 weeks in the summer of '89 and at the time they were working on Nadia and everything was crazy busy.

Plus, she dedicates a line in her comic to clarifying that "unlike at comic conventions" no one in Gainax tried to touch her ass and were perfect gentlemen. With ridiculously wobbly grip on reality and terrible bussinessmanship, but gentlemen.

That said, it was great. Initially of course i read it to learn something about Gainax more than anything but as it progressed narrator herself and the way she tells and draws this won me over. If her other works are anything like this then they are a must-read in my opinion.

This one has most emotional line so far:

SPOILER: Show
I cried a little because the little piece of Gainax i still have was from the Gainax that made me happy

;___;
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”