The Elder Scrolls Saga Thread

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:44 am

So much to do, so little time.

------
(Somewhat offtopic) http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/2rcw1x/mod_request_statue_of_gaben/
BTW, what's with this guy as if everyone wants to kiss his ass?

Reading this:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Creator/ValveSoftware?from=Creator.GabeNewell

That explains.

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:23 am

I've been getting back into Elder Scrolls in a big way recently over the summer holidays and I realized I've had the GOTY version of Morrowind for ages in anticipation of Skywind but never actually played it; since Skywind clearly isn't coming out anytime soon would it be worth a try to give the original a shot?
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:09 am

Morrowind is one of my favourite games of all-time, if not my very favourite. I'd highly recommend it but be warned that it hasn't aged well. Scope out some basic/essential mods too. There are a few that can make the experience much better than the vanilla.

I'm still looking forward to the day Skywind is released.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:40 am

^Yeah, I'm gonna mod the game up to its eyeballs and give it a try. I'm looking forward to Skywind but it's still in development limbo.

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:46 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Morrowind is one of my favourite games of all-time, if not my very favourite. I'd highly recommend it but be warned that it hasn't aged well.

Well, I'd argue that Morrowinds age more has to do with its Attribute/Class system being kinda "eh" more then anything. The rest of the game, sans Hit Chance, works pretty well, the game world is well designed, and its quests beat out Oblivion (Save its Misc, non Guild based quests) and Skyrim in that regard by a country mile.

Daggerfall still has some of the best Radiant Quests out of the entire series though.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:14 am

View Original PostLorkhan wrote:Daggerfall still has some of the best Radiant Quests out of the entire series though.

A friend gave me Daggerfall a looong time ago. I never did bother to play it, and I felt vindicated in that decision when I finally saw through some accident what the game actually looked like and what its limitations were beyond that. :scared:
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:42 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:A friend gave me Daggerfall a looong time ago. I never did bother to play it, and I felt vindicated in that decision when I finally saw through some accident what the game actually looked like and what its limitations were beyond that. :scared:

No doubt that the game aged very badly. I do think some of its gameplay concepts and quirks would be really cool to bring back, particularly how it handled randomly generated quests. Skyrim bringing something like that back has me very hopeful that we'll see some quest models like what Daggerfall did return, because those actually worked.

Fun fact for anyone whose interested, Redguard and Battlespire have been released in a bundle with Morrowind on GOG.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:32 pm

So, I started Morrowind. After struggling my way through the Morrowind Graphics Overhaul and Graphics Extenders, I finally managed to find a stable FPS (the Graphics Overhaul, for some reason, piles on a ridiculous number of unnecessary features that make the game lag horrendously). I do feel that the game is a bit less focused on specific objectives and locations than Skyrim, possibly due to the lack of quest markers; whereas in Skyrim I had to follow a scripted path out of Helgen, Morrowind pretty much gives the player free reign after character customisation, which is balanced by the fact that your character starts off with the offensive skill of a wet noodle and no armor to speak of, whereas in Skyrim you get decent armor and weaponry from the start and has enough health and attack power to casually uppercut wolves and low-leveled bandits.

I didn't have to mess with Hit Chance because I conveniently installed a mod that made it mostly if not completely non-existent, but combat is still much harder than it was in Skyrim; I started the second Fighter's Guild mission in the Kwama Egg mine believing that it wouldn't be very hard to kill two egg thieves with starter-level Chitin Armor and Iron Weapons, but unlike Skyrim enemies which are kindly leveled to your character's skill level, the two of them together were more than I could handle. It feels like I'm going to have to go out and intentionally grind as in Dark Souls, whereas in Skyrim you could easily level up by just killing enemies on the road and going into dungeons.

And I'm nothing like you

Blue Monday
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:31 pm

Stick with it, Shino. I highly recommend getting a fair way into the main story, as that's how the game sets its hooks in. The story and setting is where Morrowind excels, and it that regard it remains peerless out of the whole series to date. I personally prefer as well how it doesn't hold your hand with quests and the like. You need to actually pay attention to the dialogue, follow directions, and reread your quest journal to make progress.
Warren Peace, #643919

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:50 pm

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:Stick with it, Shino. I highly recommend getting a fair way into the main story, as that's how the game sets its hooks in. The story and setting is where Morrowind excels, and it that regard it remains peerless out of the whole series to date. I personally prefer as well how it doesn't hold your hand with quests and the like. You need to actually pay attention to the dialogue, follow directions, and reread your quest journal to make progress.

Agreed in all respects, minus that I never actually got far enough into the game to appreciate the story, unless we're counting all the little stories in the setting itself. It was a lot of fun just to immerse myself in that world, and I actually loved having to pay attention to directions and find my way to my destinations. Actually arriving there was almost unreal, making me feel like I'd discovered a secret or something. Really, the only reason I wound up never doing much more with Morrowind is because I got distracted by the modding... which was some of the first programming (technically scripting) I ever did and helped foster the interest that has led to my current career path as a game programmer. :lol:
System Administrator, Thread Surgeon General, Default Complaint Receptacle
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:41 pm

Alright, I managed to get comfortable enough with the game to finish the starting quests without dying; I'm definitely warming up to it now although the lack of fast travel takes some getting used to (I'd started to rely on ALMSIVI Intervention, only to realise its limitations in my last quest when I assumed I'd get warped back to Balmora and ended up in Vivec).

The game definitely does a great job creating the atmosphere of an unfamiliar and alien culture; I felt absolutely terrified when I wandered into my first ancestral tomb because even though it ended up being one of the easier dungeons, it felt as if something that could kill me instantly was always lurking around the corner (and where the hell was that chanting coming from anyway?!). Then I had my first psychic dream and was even more freaked out.

I am starting to regret not getting a homestead mod, though, since now I'm close to my encumberance limit because I'm currently hauling both Dark Brotherhood and Steel armor sets around without any place to store them until I need them again (ideally I would walk around in the DB set, but I still want to level my Heavy Armor major perk and I'm unsure how far the extra armor rating might go in combat).

And I'm nothing like you

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:03 pm

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:(ideally I would walk around in the DB set, but I still want to level my Heavy Armor major perk

Skill! SKIIIIIIILLLL!

Ahem, anyway, glad you're enjoying the game. Yeah, I really enjoyed Morrowinds dungeons by in large. A lot of them were unsettling, though I find that older games tend to pull off that feeling better by a long shot.

Blue Monday
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 am

Wow, this one looks awesome: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70219/?
Warren Peace, #643919

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 pm

^Whoa, that looks great...

And I'm nothing like you

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:50 pm

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/70364/

Meyer announces intent to make a gender-swapped Twilight, and then this modder makes a gender-swapped Miraak.

:bigeyes:

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:40 pm

So what did you guys actually play as, anyway? Just curious.

I built Misato as a Breton conjuration master, capable of sneaky combat at all ranges but most comfortable sending others to deal with big threats, or at least keep them distracted. She scrounged for normal gear for a while (far too lazy for smithing/enchanting) but eventually bound weapons became the go-to solution. Between that and sticking to light armor freed up a lot of space to carry more drinks and the products of her questionable cooking/brewing abilities which she relied on for all her healing needs... and to cart piles of loot back to my local friendly convenience store of course. As for factions, she joined and mastered all the major guilds, the brotherhood, and voted team stormcloak. She was a werewolf for a long while so when Dawnguard came around it didn't feel right joining the hunters, so vampire Misato became a thing. She had a thing going with Stendar for a while, but when he died she settled down into a vampire lesbian threesome with Yolanda and Serena. A good life, all things considered.

Perks: [url]www.jayzar.co.uk/#kUW000k1|000000000000007y8lS0E0k{C805|k0[/url]

...Well, for most of it anyway. Eventually I got bored and added a mod to let me trade in the shitton of extra dragon souls I had just piling up for more perks and stat boosts, at which point she basically became awesome at everything and I started just screwing around with different play styles at whim, smithed/enchanted dozens of full sets of themed armor/weapons just for the hell of it, and generally broke the game wide open.

Still haven't gotten around to that Kaworu attempt. Oh well.
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:25 pm

I'd basically start from scratch with each of the guild quests. I usually did them in this order: Thieves, Dark Brotherhood, Companions, Winterhold, Civil War, Main Quest. I tried to being some logic to being able to complete ALL the guild quests. My character becomes prince of thieves, hears about the Dark Brotherhood from the thieves, joins up, decides to regain honor by joining the fearsome warriors, sees that they've erroneously abandoned the clever craft, and so on. I take/complete/fail quests based on the character's personality at the time. If I'm far along in the dark brotherhood quest I'n not going to fetch your favorite pan from some cave, lady.

Shinoyami65
Seed
Seed

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:45 pm

I made what was basically a Nord version of Shirou Emiya/Archer (Breton would probably have been better from the perspective of magic aptitudes but you can't really have an Asian character so I just selected Nord to fit in with the general population and didn't even bother trying to make him look like Archer). This is basically my goody-two-shoes character who takes all the 'correct' moral options and allies with the Companions and Winterhold, while opting to destroy the Dark Brotherhood and not ally with the Thieves Guild at all. I also have FSN mods which give him a bunch of spells from the franchise such as Unlimited Blade Works. Perks are mainly in Two-Handed, Sneak and Archery, but I was also forced to concede several points to Alteration to fit the character and to buff my mod spells.

Then I have my kill-everything character who I did actually model after Saber Alter and Mordred from Fate/Apocrypha. Her rampage across Skyrim began by killing Frodnar's dog in Riverwood and incurring a bounty, and has only escalated after finding Excalibur and Caliburn (some of those F/SN mods I mentioned earlier) so she can either cut people apart the old-fashioned way or blast them apart with her wave motion sword. Most of my time with this character involves running up to anyone I meet and seeing whether I can kill them or not.

All my characters have a great love of Soul Trap regardless of their moral alignment, simply because I find it a fitting fate for any foes which I particularly dislike.

And I'm nothing like you

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:47 pm

SPOILER: Show

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:04 pm

Accurate. :lol:
"Here I am in the belly of the beast, and I don't even care. I don't even feel like taking a whiz on this. I used to DREAM of taking a whiz on this!" - The Monarch
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”