Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, Starring Neil DeGrasse Tyson

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

CJD
Banned

Cosmos: A Space Time Odyssey, Starring Neil DeGrasse Tyson

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:46 pm

First Trailer

Oh my god that music and those production values. I am so fucking hype right now.
Last edited by CJD on Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

bobbyfischer's ghost
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby bobbyfischer's ghost » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Get hype!
Neil deGrasse Tyson's a pretty cool dude, I remember my school having him as a guest of honor a couple of years back.
Current avatar: Shotoku in winter
"Political Correctness is Fascism pretending to be Manners." ~ George Carlin
Wilt Chamberlain answers the infamous question.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:57 am

I'm soo ready for this! Bring it on!!

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:30 pm

Carl Sagan would be proud.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 pm

I don't care if this turns out to be bad, I'll still watch it cause I'm a huge fan of astronomy.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:12 pm

Come on, this is Neil deGrasse Tyson himself. It's NOT going to be bad. And yes, Carl Sagan would be proud.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:31 pm

In honor of the new series
Carl Sagan's
Pale Blue Dot:
SPOILER: Show
From this distant vantage point, the Earth might not seem of any particular interest. But for us, it's different. Consider again that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there – on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity – in all this vastness – there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves.

The Earth is the only world known, so far, to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment, the Earth is where we make our stand. It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character-building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ceimoa Nan
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ceimoa Nan » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:59 pm

Sometimes I would daydream about a TV show where Stephen Hawking (commander), Bill Nye (chief engineer), Neil de Grasse Tyson (astronavigator), and Richard Dawkins (exobiologist) travel through space and time in a giant starship (the Hawk King), discovering new worlds and solving cosmic problems in the vein of Star Trek or Doctor Who. There's also a Rastafari stowaway who, on occasion, channels the spirit of Carl Sagan when smoking cannabis. (Sagan's sage advice often gets the team out of hopeless situations.)

The gravitas in that trailer reminded me of those daydreams. (Edit: Maybe Gravitas should be the name of the ship instead.)

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:10 pm

Remember that the new Cosmos airs tonight @ 9est.
on Fox.

- Suicidahlia

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:51 pm

I got to see one episode of this thanks to my otherwise-not-so-enviable job. It's very good, and yes, cannabis was briefly mentioned.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:10 am

Last night's episode was truly fascinating. Focus was on evolution, learned quite a lot.
Can't wait for next week! :D

- Suicidahlia

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

I'd never heard of the extinction event he described before. I knew there were supposed to be five of them but the one that always gets talked about is muh dinosaurs, not that one. When he said they call it "The Great Dying" he had my full attention. I mean goddamn, that's like straight out of a fantasy novel. I mean, that sounds like something you'd hear in an exposition dialogue describing an act of the gods so catastrophic that mortals only spoke of it in whispers with mournful tones.

'And then, the Great Dying happened. The gods in their fury unleashed the flames of the earth from a thousand mountains for a thousand years, boiling the oceans and cooking the air."

Man, I love history but it would be even cooler if they used names like that more often. Sounds way cooler than "Permian–Triassic extinction event."
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:06 pm

FINAL EPISODE: This week

"Unafraid of the Dark"

DVD/Blu Ray June 10th:
http://www.amazon.com/Cosmos-A-Spacetime-Odyssey-Blu-ray/dp/B00IWULSTC/ref=pd_bxgy_mov_img_y/186-8033269-9367059

I been trying to catch up
watched two episodes last night!

- Suicidahlia

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Jun 03, 2014 2:15 pm

Sunday has been Cosmos night, and I'm definitely going to be picking up the blu-ray release.

My wife asked if we could get another cat and name it Faraday. :lol:

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:29 pm

SPOILER: Show

- Suicidahlia

Return to “Film and Video”