Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:24 pm

Rupert Sanders (of Snow White and the Huntsman fame) is to direct Hollywood's live-action Ghost in the Shell movie.

I haven't wanted to flip as many tables as humanly possible in such a long time.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:36 pm

Honestly, I am not pissed. I just don't know what to feel. Hollywood keeps churning out these live action anime properties and I like a damn fool just go ahead and collect them to see how they turn out. I even want to see the upcoming adaptation for Kite that's coming up even though they seem to have replaced the original's sex controversy with drugs since apparently Samuel L. Jackson forcing himself down on a "teenage" girl isn't good marketing.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm

This sounds terrible but it probably won't actually be made.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:31 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:This sounds terrible but it probably won't actually be made.

I'm hoping for that. These things tend to be flash-in-the-pan projects, in that someone in Hollywood has an idea, then says "Nah, let's just do another Shrek movie or something."

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:38 pm

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Honestly, I am not pissed. I just don't know what to feel. Hollywood keeps churning out these live action anime properties and I like a damn fool just go ahead and collect them to see how they turn out. I even want to see the upcoming adaptation for Kite that's coming up even though they seem to have replaced the original's sex controversy with drugs since apparently Samuel L. Jackson forcing himself down on a "teenage" girl isn't good marketing.

Wait what? How is kite getting adapted, that wasn't even that popular...I mean honestly it's a goofy b-movie-ish type anime, what the fuck?
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

delispin25
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby delispin25 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:50 pm

Goddammit Hollywood, stop this shit. One of the reasons I like anime is because not every fucking idiot I know likes it, which allows me to feel like a special snowflake. Stop adapting movies for the SWAGing and YOLOing crowd of today, it makes me feel less superior when other people enjoy things I enjoy.
Seriously though, why even bother adapting it? You'll immediately alienate the only people that might be interested in seeing it, which happen to be super critical weeaboos, this means half of them probably won't see it because it's being adapted by Hollywood.
Hollywood doesn't give a fuck about following the manga any closer than the film did, because that would mean they actually like the movie, and if that was true they wouldn't be trying to adapt it.
Good thing it's doomed to never come out.

Rupert Sanders (of Snow White and the Huntsman fame) is to direct Hollywood's

Jesus, I didn't even see this at first. Now I know what demographic they're going for.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:14 am

I watched Snow White and the Huntsman. It's one of maybe five movies I've ever seen that I can find no redeeming qualities in and actually lost track of what was going on two-thirds of the way through. I can find complex intricacies of symbol and meaning in almost anything but that movie was like a psychic void that swallowed my thoughts for two hours. The only movie I can remember doing that lately is the first Hobbit.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:39 am

We'll see how long this Sanders dude stays attached to the project. All of these live-action films based on anime or other fringe "nerd" properties (i.e. anything that isn't a DC or Marvel Comics franchise) always seem to have protracted and chaotic development cycles, with tons of different staff turnovers culminating in either a cancellation of the entire project or a complete mess begrudgingly tossed out by the studios in hopes of at least partially recouping their losses and pretty much already dead on arrival. When a B-list director known for some mediocre-but-profitable summer blockbuster is attached even at the early stages of production, that's usually a death chime.

So yeah, I'm not optimistic that this will even come to fruition, let alone be any good. We can start worrying about whether it's good or not once there's evidence that it'll actually happen.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:46 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I watched Snow White and the Huntsman. It's one of maybe five movies I've ever seen that I can find no redeeming qualities in and actually lost track of what was going on two-thirds of the way through.

The gods have mercy; if Chuckman is saying this then this Sanders guy doesn't have a hope in hell.

:cringe:
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:28 am

View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:The gods have mercy; if Chuckman is saying this then this Sanders guy doesn't have a hope in hell.

:cringe:

See, I also wasted time watching Snow White and the Huntsman, and I couldn't even enjoy it on a meta level. Not even knowing that Sanders directed Kristen Stewart by getting into her pants made it entertaining to watch.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:41 am

A couple of years ago, I ventured to a friend of mine the idea that the best Hollywood choices for a GitS movie would be Chris Nolan or (preferably) Michael Mann. I may or may not have had any idea what I was talking about. Now I'd add [s]Shinya Tsukamoto[/s]* and maaayyyyybbeee David Cronenberg, due to their thematic concerns and their ability to make technology genuinely uncanny, which would be perfect if an adaptation went the slow-burn route of the Oshii films, whereas I'd peg the former two for an SAC adaptation, but absolutely not vice-versa. That would be a disaster. (As for an adaptation of Shirow's manga, blech.)

But all that shit aside - seriously, Hollywood, if you can find a competent director for Godzilla, you can find one for a trans-pacific franchise that actually has at least a small amount of critical respect, right?

......Right?

SPOILER: Show
*I still may or may not know what I am talking about. I am not legally responsible for whatever you do with what I have just said. Especially you.

*scratch that, now that I think about what that would be like that would be a terrible idea. Maybe Neil Blomkamp?
Last edited by chee on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:32 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Wait what? How is kite getting adapted, that wasn't even that popular...I mean honestly it's a goofy b-movie-ish type anime, what the fuck?

http://www.fandompost.com/2014/01/04/kite-live-action-trailer-clip-debut/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:04 pm

I wouldn't want Nolan to do it because Nolan can't make a superhero(ish) movie without filling it with barely hidden subtext making fun of the character and making fun of the audience for enjoying it.
the prophecy is true

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:06 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I watched Snow White and the Huntsman. It's one of maybe five movies I've ever seen that I can find no redeeming qualities in and actually lost track of what was going on two-thirds of the way through. I can find complex intricacies of symbol and meaning in almost anything but that movie was like a psychic void that swallowed my thoughts for two hours. The only movie I can remember doing that lately is the first Hobbit.

I, for one, quite liked that movie...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:08 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I wouldn't want Nolan to do it because Nolan can't make a superhero(ish) movie without filling it with barely hidden subtext making fun of the character and making fun of the audience for enjoying it.

To be blunt, I think you're confusing "making fun of the character and the audience" with "not my preferred interpretation of that character."

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:55 pm

Hhhmm.....I actually wouldn't mind seeing it live action. It's an easier movie to adapt then that fuck up they called dragonball. It'll be interesting to see who they pick for the characters.......and that's if they actually make it.

Snow White wasn't that bad. The ending sucked but I enjoyed the movie. Chalize Theron was awesome.
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:21 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:To be blunt, I think you're confusing "making fun of the character and the audience" with "not my preferred interpretation of that character."

The thesis of Nolan's Batman films is that Batman is a sick person and fascination with Batman is a sickness.

Or rather, the second and third. The first one is in earnest. The latter two less so, particularly the third, which is both insulting and clearly a pure labor on Nolan's part to ensure funding for future art projects of his own.

If you look closely at them you'll realize that the sequels are almost entirely based on the 1960s television series.

Burton's Batman films are actually superior, as they're able to convey contempt for the concept of Batman without being contemptuous of the audience. In Burton's films the audience is in on the joke; in TDK and particularly TDKR the sly subtext is "this is the campy Adam West show in film form and you, the audience, are too lame to realize how clever I am".
the prophecy is true

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:06 pm

I honestly don't see how Nolan is doing anything radically different from Burton or even Paul Dini's work in the cartoon or the Arkham games. If anything, he just takes his take on "Batman-as-sickness" theme to its logical conclusion given the confines of the world he's set up. While I agree that TDKR was pretty clearly Nolan having more "fun" (I hate using that word to refer to camp, it makes me feel like a /co/tard) than in TDK, again, if there is any audience-indicating subtext on the level of "you are a moron for liking this", I honestly don't see it, even from an anarchic "death of the author" standpoint (even though such an interpretation hinges on authorial intent) - I just don't see the structure. Nolan's not Haneke. Agree to disagree I guess.
Last edited by chee on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:12 pm

Still waiting for the live-action Cowboy Bebop movie...
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:35 pm

Here's a thought: what about Kiyoshi Kurosawa?

Edit: Naaaaah.

Return to “Film and Video”