Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:22 pm

There is something very Ghost in the Shell about the blu-ray trolling you.

That sucks. I want it on blu ray.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:52 pm

OH, BUT IT GETS WORSE. Anchor Bay has gone completely mental:

Calling Barbra Streisand.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Feb 23, 2017 4:52 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:OH, BUT IT GETS WORSE. Anchor Bay has gone completely mental:

Calling Barbra Streisand.

That is really messed up if they screwed the blu rays they should be fixing them and recalling them period as language switch's are not meant to happen in normal quality DVD let alone a blu ray. Plus the point of a blu ray is its meant to the finest version of the product and most flawless because that's what you paying for....
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:42 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Plus the point of a blu ray is its meant to the finest version of the product and most flawless because that's what you paying for....

All products should in principle be flawless (within their specification).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:03 pm

That there is an impressive display of incompetence and doubling-down.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am

Adam Savage (mythbusters) at Weta Workshop examining & discussing props.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KosBvDyWgnA

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:15 pm

Clip & TV shot basically confirming today's leaks from a 15 minute screening.

The major's original name is Mera/Mira.
She was a refugee whose body was destroyed in a terrorist atrack. The corporation Hanka built her a new robotic body.
We don't know if Section 9 is apart of or separate from Hanka. (I hope separate so even if Hanka are the bad guys, the cast of Section 9 can be chill)
Don't know if her revenge line is against Hanka lying to her or against the terrorist who destroyed her original body.
Don't know if Hanka actually is a big evil corporation or if it's actually a misdirect by the villain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:50 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4we5kJsFZ4

Neat, I wonder how much of what Hanka tells her is the truth? If anything. Still looks very promising.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:26 pm

Seeing them pick over the invisible beatdown scene, the robot geisha scene, etc. makes me wonder if this whole thing is just going to be 'Ghost in the Shell's greatest hits' compilation strung together by a risk-free general issue plot. It would be a real shame:

SPOILER: Show
I've been re-watching the GITS:SAC 2nd series and the more I see of it - refugee crises, economic breakdown, nuclear suicide bomibng - the amazed I am at how relevant it would be to today. The 1st season was some grunge-era anti-Big Pharma stuff but 2nd gig was so real.

So I really hope the terrorist angle is some kind of headf-ck. It's kind of like how reboot Khan went from being "an Hitler" to being just another Bin Laden.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:52 pm

If they did GITS justice the film would be accused of being a remake of Matrix 2, but now every other scene is an Architect scene!
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:12 am

Ok I was going back through some behind the scenes images and found this that I had forgotten about...
So the name Motoko Kusanagi does infact exist in the film... so we have the following possibilities...
1 - Mira is the Major's name & Motoko is being used as her dead mothers name.
2 - Major discovers the whole "Mira" thing is bullshit Hanka made up for her & Motoko Kusanagi is her actual original name.

The 2nd option seems more likely.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:58 pm

^^ Any credible GITS:SAC adaptation would be the cops who are going after the presentable teenagers of Hackers

^ Likewise,

after Star Trek Into Darkness I feel like a certain scepticism about terrorism is at an all time high.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:12 pm

Something I was strongly hoping for is coming too pass, we will be getting a GITS anthology graphic novel by various western comic creators.
http://www.cbr.com/kodansha-ghost-in-th ... anthology/

Art wise I am hoping for Ivan Reis, Marco Checchetto, Kenneth Rocafort & Stjepan Sejic.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:57 am

Trailer with some new footage using a awful remix of the classic theme that god willing won't be used in the final film. (fuck's sake, the updated version used in the leaked shelling sequence would have been perfect)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4iduQkrMaY

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:51 am

I... I actually really liked the remix...

Movie still looks awesome.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:58 am

GITS:SAC isn't supposed to be just 'awesome'. It's supposed be WEIRD awesome. Like Evangelion.

I'm not asking for 11 individuals to go FULL YUKIO MISHIMA all over the police headquarters. Just some good honest cyberpunk would be nice.

I'm feeling at this point the 'aesthetic choice' of a future with omnipresent holographic product placement is just an excuse for...product placement. A Blade Runner curse befall ye, o prominent beer company that I shall not name!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:22 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:I... I actually really liked the remix...

Movie still looks awesome.

Eh awful was a strong choice of words, just severely unneeded.

Agreed.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:46 am

"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:04 am

^ like what's going on with Iron Fist right now people aren't going to give the movie a fair Shake because of its whitewashing.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:13 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:^ like what's going on with Iron Fist right now people aren't going to give the movie a fair Shake because of its whitewashing.

Except Iron Fist isn't whitewashed, which makes that a (bullshit) manufactured controversy. There is literally nothing to complain about there, but people got angry about it because Marvel didn't gut the source material to give them what they wanted.

The GitS movie seems very different by comparison. Whitewashing aside, the whole notion of drafting Kusanagi into Section 9 against her will rather than her being a willing (and eager!) participant is . . . very much not Ghost in the Shell. The story, in every iteration of the franchise, is about what it means to be human, how we remain human in the face of increasing cyberization, how human problems change and multiply as the concept of what a human being is continues to grow and evolve. The movie, by contrast, appears to be a straightforward revenge story, abandoning everything that makes GitS what it is. It is, in fact, the exact reverse of the [i]Iron Fist[/b] problem: with IF the show remains true to its roots and people who want change at any cost decided that was a problem regardless of the particulars. With the LA GitS the show betrays its roots and relies on hollow themes and empty set pieces to tell a banal, utterly generic story, and people are quite rightly upset over that. The whitewashing is really just the icing on the cake.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Film and Video”