Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Hollywood's "Ghost in the Shell"

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:58 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Just because I disagree with one major flaw a movie has, must mean I dislike the movie ONLY for that particular flaw? Flawless logic! :facepalm:

No but haven't seen anything else to make you think its going to be bad for any other reason.
And its not a major flaw, its bares no weight on the film internally whatsoever.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:21 pm

They are making the birth of the Android scene also ^_^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Tlz8DKyNM

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

^The hottest minute and ten seconds of my life. I didn't think they were actually going to do the Making of a Cyborg scene. So much gusta.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:50 pm

Plus Mamoru Oshii has given his blessing of the movie as well as ScarJo as Matoko. I'm getting more excited.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:58 pm

Huh, this might turn out good afterall!

Might.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:59 pm

I really like all the practical work they're doing, especially in the making-of scene, that's really neat that they're using the CGI in a more sparing, thoughtful way.

I'm a little worried that ScarJo is not going to disappear into this role. It's going to be hard to see the character and not her playing the character because she's so recognizable.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:11 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Huh, this might turn out good afterall!

Might.

Remember James Cameron gave his approval of Terminator Genisys, and we all know how THAT turned out.

Given the director only has one previous film to his name. I'm not optimistic. Snow White and Huntsman had decent trailers too.

And let me reiterate. If this movie is a hit, the studio will use it as a market excuse to screw over Asian and Asian AmericanTalent even more in the future. Because why bother casting Asian Talent when you can just put the most marketable white girl in the lead and still make bank?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:14 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:1- Snow White and Huntsman had decent trailers too.
2 - And let me reiterate. If this movie is a hit, the studio will use it as a market excuse to screw over Asian and Asian AmericanTalent even more in the future. Because why bother casting Asian Talent when you can just put the most marketable white girl in the lead and still make bank?

1 - And it was really good aside from Stewart being flat.
2 - That will happen anyway. If it fails I can't even remotely foresee them blaming it on not casting a Asian as the lead.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:53 am

:bigeyes:
:mwahaha:
OMG It looks fucking amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vctm5VD7qKQ

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:19 am

Yeah, this has me pretty pumped! From the spot on aesthetic, the grittiness, and the hints at a philosophical story arc, this looks like it's going to be a solid adaptation. I can't wait.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:30 am

Did people not like GitS:SAC 2nd or something? I adored it and I'm really excited. I am rewatching it a lot and the way the world i feel it's the hero we need.

View Original PostRay wrote: Second of all why copy that particular scene from The First Ghost in the Shell movie if you aren't going to do the plot of the first Ghost in the Shell movie Justice?

What Sachi said. Also, I really think adapting something like the Puppetmaster or the Laughing Man would be to big a risk for American audiences for their Live Action debut. And they already have great movies and maybe the anime niche for the experimental-curious is the best place for them (even now, as amazing as the AKIRA final scene is I bet it would probably still gross theatre audiences out)

I especially think Kuze needs a movie more than they need Live action. The Kuze story is so topical it makes Oshii look positively prophetic. It's pretty approachable but my only real fear is they'll nerf it for being too 'political'. I'm hoping they kept it but just soft-sell it for the advertising because I think it would really work if they tried.

IDK if this is a SPOILER but

View Original Postbackseatjesus wrote: That’s one of the main thrusts in the story. Inspired by that episode of Affection in Second Gig.”

GitSwiki wrote: Batou and Togusa test eight potential new recruits for Section 9. Each man is paired off to create four different teams, and each team is tasked with tracking the Major; however, the Major proves to be a difficult target to track, and eventually she loses all four teams attempting to track her.

It sounds like the set up for a pretty cool movie regardless. But Original Kuze would really make it special... :irked:

PS
View Original PostRay wrote:^ not impressed the CGI looks fake. I've seen better digital effects in one of the Matrix sequels.

Maybe invisibility cloaks look fake 'cuz invisibility cloaks are fake. :um: Bend your expectations, there is no spoon.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:19 am

View Original PostSachi wrote:Some dude getting beat up in the water by a cloaked Major may have been in the first movie, but is that really a scenario exclusive to the plot of that first movie? There's context for situation in the original, but for this clip we aren't burdened with any of that; it's literally just a dude getting beat up, and that could apply to any scenario one wants. Seems to me they adapted a bunch of visually striking scenes and other ideas from various parts of the franchise into their story. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't mind them taking some scenes from the original movie, as long as they fit into the context and narrative rather than simply being there for nostalgia.

Original film spoilers  SPOILER: Show
I could swear I saw a shot that looked like it's meant to be part of the climatic tank battle flashing by, even though the story seems to be headed in a very different direction.

I really want this film to be good and defy expectations, but will reserve judgement until it's actually out.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:46 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote::bigeyes:
:mwahaha:
OMG It looks fucking amazing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vctm5VD7qKQ

Holy shit that looks great. Though I hope we get some Kenji Kawai music in the film proper.

Reminds me, I need to rewatch GITS.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:56 am

Look maybe it's just because the movie isn't finished yet. But the CGI in some parts looks bad. I MEAN REALLY BAD. In particular the scene where the major breaks through the window looks like something out of the live action Aeon Flux.

Then there's this scene between Motoko aand her mother (?) That basically does the exact opposite of what they should have done. It basically CALLS ATTENTION to the whitewashing. Which given the controversy generated you'd think they'd want to downplay. Editing out those few moments wouldn't have changed the trailer that much.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:02 pm

Oh here we go again...

Blah blah blah, whitewashing whitewashing whitewashing. Who cares? If this were the other way around- a historically white character portrayed by an Asian actress- everybody would be cheering about how "progressive" it was. But because it's a white woman playing an Asian character everybody loses their goddamn minds. Double standard much?

Besides, ScarJo looks pretty spot-on for the Major's depiction in the anime and the manga art, which is what I care about.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:09 pm

The fact is the major was Asian in the books she was Asian in the anime, but for the pure naked purpose of marketing shes white for this particular adaptation. Which is both betrayal of the source material and it screws the numerous Asian actors who would literally kill for a role like this, out of a job that could serve to springboard them to fame.

I feel the same way about then making kusanagi white the same way I feel about them rebooting Ghostbusters and making it so that the original movies and characters never existed

Besides, ScarJo looks pretty spot-on for the Major's depiction in the anime and the manga art, which is what I care about.

It's called Mukukoseki. Look it up.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:21 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:The fact is the major was Asian in the books she was Asian in the anime, but for the pure naked purpose of marketing shes white for this particular adaptation. Which is both betrayal of the source material and it screws the numerous Asian actors who would literally kill for a role like this, out of a job that could serve to springboard them to fame.

And how many of these Asian actors A: look like the Major, B: have the acting legs for it, and C: speak good enough English for it (without a serious accent)? The fact is it's an American production and so it makes sense for them to use an actress that's easily marketable to an American audience. That's not being racist, that's being realistic. Same reason the Attack on Titan live action movie had Japanese actors despite being set in a fictional historical Germany.

I feel the same way about then making kusanagi white the same way I feel about them rebooting Ghostbusters and making it so that the original movies and characters never existed

The difference is, that movie looked like shite from the beginning, didn't originate from a different demographic market and nobody wanted it to begin with. GITS on the other hand has been marketed well and seems to be a well-made movie, originated in Japan (a VERY different market) and is quite eagerly anticipated by a lot of people. You're comparing apples to oranges.

It's called Mukukoseki. Look it up.

I know what Mukukoseki is. Doesn't change the fact that ScarJo, in the trailer at least, looks perfect for the role, and a lot like the Major in the art. In fact the whole world they've created really reminds me of the art style of the anime.

I don't give a toss about race. I don't care if it's a white, Asian or whatever actress playing the Major. What I care about is that she suits the role and looks like the character. And Scarlett definitely does.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:43 pm

Was hoping to see more of the Section 9 team in the trailer, but this still looks incredible. I know the Major's background is pretty vague in each title, but I do remember in GitS SAC she was crippled before getting one of the first fully cybernetic bodies, or something like that. I wonder how they're going to tie it in with the movie plot, though? Is her background much different in the Manga? Honestly don't remember.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:16 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:1 - Same reason the Attack on Titan live action movie had Japanese actors despite being set in a fictional historical Germany.

2 - The difference is, that movie looked like shite from the beginning

3 - Doesn't change the fact that ScarJo, in the trailer at least, looks perfect for the role, and a lot like the Major in the art.

1 - Nice

2 - Absolutely, almost everyone agreed the trailers were just flat out not funny which destroys much of the entire point of the film & didn't feel like it had anything in common with the franchise, This regardless of the white wash, looks & feels strongly like the franchise.

3 - Glad to hear someone say this, I thought she had the Major's face from the beginning.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:36 pm

Someone has a bootleg of the Making of the Cyborg sequence, the original score is used but flows into something a bit new.
^_^
https://twitter.com/mikediva/status/797745735148007424

Return to “Film and Video”