How will future generations perceive Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

How will future generations perceive Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:53 pm

As we get closer and closer to the 20th anniversary of the TV series. I got to wondering.
In regards to the franchise as whole how do you think the series will be looked upon
by our younger generations in about 30-50 years or so from now?
(Or perhaps even more further in the future than that?)

Even when we all here in in these forums are all old farts, It would be nice to see
fresh young minds open up to the world of Evangelion and what 'this' or 'that'
actually means.

What is your opinion?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:04 pm

There will be a greater interest in it in Japan when it hits the fifty year mark than here. If it's remembered at all it'll be a very niche thing. Pop culture from the 1960's that's remembered now commonly had a huge cultural penetration when it was new. People still watch The Twilight Zone because at the time everyone watched it and it's had a huge cultural influence on its genre going forward, for example. An anime from 1996 will not be that well known in 2046.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: How will future generations perceive Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:16 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:how do you think the series will be looked upon by our younger generations in about 30-50 years or so from now?

"It's old, the animation is crappy, and it's not in HD. I'm not watching that."
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:17 pm

"This isn't in 4D sensovision. I can't even properly waifu Asuka."

My hope is that when virtual technology and/or robots become a reality humanity (well, the global 1% anyway) will essentially reproduce asexually through sperm banks and artificial insemination and we'll all have custom made waifus that will love us without question and never leave us.

The waifunet becomes self aware at 2:14 AM, Eastern Standard Time, August 29. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:21 pm

Too obvious; after all, we still read Chaucer, and he can't even get the words right!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:14 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:"It's old, the animation is crappy, and it's not in HD. I'm not watching that."

That pretty much summs up, why most of the people I talk to refuse to watch the original show. Although I highly doubt, that Anno won't use the opportunity of EVAs 20th birthday to throw out a BlueRay-Renewal (While I'm not sure if I'd like that, I watched the BlueRay-Version of "Mononoke Hime" and it seemed kind of "empty / overly simple" in terms of coloring.)

BTT: I highly doubt, that the Rebuilds will be remembered as milestone, more like something everyone was liking, but wasn't that unique if you look back. Kind of like X-factor. The original show will probably never live up to any kind of "hype" again. (IMO and I'm talking mainly about Japan)
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:My hope is that when virtual technology and/or robots become a reality humanity (well, the global 1% anyway) will essentially reproduce asexually through sperm banks and artificial insemination and we'll all have custom made waifus that will love us without question and never leave us.

We are kindred spirits, you and I.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:12 pm

When Eva Final is released it will make so much money that Anno will be able to forcefully buy back and destroy every copy and version of the original Eva. History will not need that sloppy mess after the world will be forever changed by SHIN WEVANGERIWON GEKIJOUBAN:||
Anno will succeed where Lucas failed.

View Original PostGorbatschow wrote: (While I'm not sure if I'd like that, I watched the BlueRay-Version of "Mononoke Hime" and it seemed kind of "empty / overly simple" in terms of coloring.)

Disregard your memory of all the previous times you've seen the movie on shitty media like DVD or god forbid VHS. Everything you saw there is strewn with artifacts. The BD is as close to the original intended look as you get. It's techincally even better than having seen it from an original theatrical print because a decent chunk of the movie was done with digital paint which was later printed to film for theatres but on the BD you get it straight. Traditionally painted scene scanned from master film, digitally painted scene straigh from the source files.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:00 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Too obvious; after all, we still read Chaucer, and he can't even get the words right!

The problem of your statement is your use of "we".

Like it or not, Eva still belongs to an "entertainment" sphere. That's what most people who were to experience it would say. Mind you, loads of things that are now considered fully fledged art were "entertainment" to start with (plays, ballads, myths etc), but they stood a tets of time of several centuries.
As an entertainment piece of work, I can easily see it subdued by future material which will be considered better entertainment by future generations. I'd say Reichu is correct on this one.

On the other hand, nobody will stop us from moaning about, talking about and overanalysing NGE on this board until we give up the ghost mwahwahwahwahwah

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:12 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:There will be a greater interest in it in Japan when it hits the fifty year mark than here. If it's remembered at all it'll be a very niche thing. Pop culture from the 1960's that's remembered now commonly had a huge cultural penetration when it was new. People still watch The Twilight Zone because at the time everyone watched it and it's had a huge cultural influence on its genre going forward, for example. An anime from 1996 will not be that well known in 2046.

I like the use of TTZ for an example - Interestingly enough, I live about 15 minutes away from Rod Serling's home town. We have TTZ and Rod Serling themed restaurants and such.
My point being, we need to start creating some Evangelion themed establishments here in the US if we want the 30th anniversary to even be talked about over here.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:11 am

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:The problem of your statement is your use of "we".

English majors have to read him, I think. Outside of that, it's a crap shoot.

I'd say Reichu is correct on this one.

I was being joking/cynical... to a certain extent. I think NGE will continue to be viewed, if for no other reason than its importance to anime history and overall notoriety. The casual, neophilic fans will ignore it in favor of whatever is new and shiny, while the hardcore (or simply more open-minded) ones who aren't put off by dated production values will take a look.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:38 am

View Original PostFalcon_of_the_Sun wrote:The problem of your statement is your use of "we".

I merely meant that he is still read to some extent in the original form; there will always be people who are prepared to see past the datedness. Not that I'm comparing NGE with Chaucer, quite.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chainsaw Owl
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Chainsaw Owl » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:39 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:"It's old, the animation is crappy, and it's not in HD. I'm not watching that."

This is a depressingly accurate prediction. I remember watching old reruns of the original Gundam back when Gundam Wing was huge, and thinking "Holy crap, how did anyone ever tolerate this ugly mess?" It took a few years, but I came to develop an appreciation for the older art style and the show as a whole. However, my initial impression as a kid was terrible based on looks alone.

Coincidentally, Evangelion is about as old now as the original Gundam was when I first watched Wing.

I don't look forward to attempting to enlighten the next generation of young'uns, but I suspect they'll be a bit more malleable once they get old enough to see past the dated visuals, which I still consider to be quite satisfactory. We won't see many more people whose early lives were shaped by the show like ours were, but we'll have plenty of new adults with fresh (and not so fresh) takes on the series.
Set phasers to thrill.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:12 pm

Evangelion is regarded as one of the greatest works of art ever. They teach it at school. There is a statue of Anno at every university. You can find the CRC at every libray.
Recognising its value, humanity decides to send a copy of Evangelion (original series, After the End, and Rebuild) into space.
Extraterrestrials visit us and tell us that it is time for humanity to join the Intergalactic Federation.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:28 pm

Wind rustles through grass.

The world holds its breath. Nine hours have passed since the object appeared on the front lawn of the White House 2 in Neo D.C. Not arrived, not landed, appeared. So far it has defied all attempts at communications or understanding. The city has been evacuated.

Yet Helga Kyesha Guittierez, the nation's first female blacktino president who rose from the slums of the Nevadifornia Federation after the Great Phosphorus War to heal wounded nation, remains. Bravely she strides through the sea of grass as the world holds its breath and watches it all in 4th-D sensovision. When she holds her breath all womynkind holds its breath with her.

Slowly the ship opens. There is no hinge, no apparent means by which it may form an aperture. It simply appears. The alien descends the ramp. It is tall and sinuous and its ever angle is wrong yet its every curve so right. Tears sparkle on the President's face. They have arrived. They have finally arrived.

The alien has something grasped in its left hand. A battered DVD case. It holds it up. When it speaks its voice is the sound of glass shattering and cherubs sighing.

"What the fuck? Did he just jack off?"
the prophecy is true

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:50 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Yet Helga Kyesha Guittierez

At this point I had tears in my eyes. The last 5 minutes I've had little laugh attacks every couple seconds. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Falcon_of_the_Sun
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Falcon_of_the_Sun » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:45 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I merely meant that he is still read to some extent in the original form; there will always be people who are prepared to see past the datedness. Not that I'm comparing NGE with Chaucer, quite.

I didn't think you were. What I meant is that Chaucer's work now belongs to a sphere of literary history, arts and all which is, for example, part of the high-school syllabus in many non-English speaking, European countries, for instance (I for one had to study part of the Canterbury Tales).
As such, people are somehow forced to study/learn about Chaucer. It stood the test of time and it is now "stuff we study at school" much like the capital of Vietnam and the year the French Revolution broke.
I can't see Eva getting in that same position any soon, which is why I don't think the "we still read Chaucer" argument works. Most people who deal with that author do so as part of their education, and that's not even a choice at times. I can't see any schools asking students to write essays on NGE...

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:36 am

Star Trek has been around for half a century now, long enough for it's klingon tokusatsu fail and future mini skirts to be made fun of by the series itself. Then again, Star Trek got more updates. Shinseiki has been CHEATED, you guys!
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

Gorbatschow
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Gorbatschow » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm

View Original PostSoryuUberAlles wrote:Star Trek has been around for half a century now, long enough for it's klingon tokusatsu fail and future mini skirts to be made fun of by the series itself. Then again, Star Trek got more updates. Shinseiki has been CHEATED, you guys!

Also Star Trek was and still is kind of a western thing, while Evangelion (the original show) was really popular only in Japan. At the moments the Rebuilds are really fucking huge over there (I personally wouldn't lump them together with the originals) and will probably be remembered as good as Star Trek in western countries, while the original show would be still around and well known but not really popular.

I would consider rather pessimistic exceptions in terms of popularity towards western countries as reasonable.
Avatar: Mugen no Juunin- coloured by me | UserPic: Last month's avatar (Eden: It's an endless World)
__
"Everyone has the right to self-determination and every try to classify a human being as better, dumber, worse or gentical assessed is pure fascism and everyone in this country should actually know that“- Serdar Somuncu

“Intelligent men do not decide any subject until they have carefully examined both or all sides of it. Fools, cowards, and those too lazy to think, accept blindly, without examining dogmas and doctrines imposed upon them in childhood by their parents, priests, and teachers, when their minds could not reason.” - James Hervey Johnson

“Science doesn’t give absolute answers; it only shows the most presumable contingency based on actual, practical or theoretical evidences.” – My physics teacher

beaverteeth92
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby beaverteeth92 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

I think it'll still be well-regarded among anime fans because of what a massive game changer it was and because of its depth. The fact that it's highly polarizing almost 20 years later is also a sign it'll be highly polarizing well into the future, which will ensure people keep talking about it.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”