Does Sadamoto Ship Rei or Asuka?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:50 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:The ending is Shinji's.

Well, he's the MC. I was talking about the ending as in 'ending song' anyway.

And this is really obvious hater sprouting. A character's importance in the plot isn't determined by wether you like them.

Let me remind you that all of these other characters mostly turned up AFTER Evangelion, because Rei was so hugely influential.

That's like saying Shakespeare or Charles Dickenswere unoriginal because their stuff has since been copied to hell and back.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:01 pm

I'm not a hater at all. Rei is an alright character, she's just far from the most interesting in Neon Genesis Evangelion, and has the least depth of the main characters. She's intentionally a blank slate of a character, so we can better explore how the others interact with her. She's not really a character, but a device for better exploring the other characters. She's intentionally boring.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm

^
And what would you base that assertion on?

That she's boring to you?

There are many, many people who's disagree with you, and nothing in the official material to hammer home any intentional point of 'You're supposed to be bored'.
She's fleshed out as much as any other character, and, as par for this show, in exquisite detail. In ep 14 we even get a glimpse into her philosophic opinions and questions on the existence of higher powers, for example.

Is she a 'blank slate' because she ends up learning new things about herself and the world throughou the story? Don't they all do that?
She enters the stage with a fully formed worldview (as outlined in eps 5 and 6)
Last edited by Kendrix on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:17 pm

I think Rei is quite clearly there as a deconstruction of how girls are viewed within anime, and how eerie a subservient, robotic, emotionless, empty vessel of a cute girl would actually be. On that level, she succeeds, and I like her as a character. Her mass popularity with those who take her at face value as an icon, just mystifies me.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:20 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:subservient, robotic, emotionless, empty vessel of a cute girl

Except she is very obviously none of these things to anyone who payed the slightest shred of attention, and is not why anyone likes her.

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:21 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Except she is very obviously none of these things to anyone who payed the slightest shred of attention, and is not why anyone likes her.

Fair enough, I just have a different interpretation of the show than you do. I think she works as an exploration of Gendo's idealised blank and non-rebellious child/partner, Shinji's desired lack of conflict with a blank other, and her doll-like existence puts Asuka at unease. Rei is blank, and through her blankness, she enriches the rest of the cast.

I think she'd be very uninteresting to just watch on her own for an extended period of time.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:10 pm

View Original PostJames Sucellus wrote:Fair enough, I just have a different interpretation of the show than you do.

This goes beyond a matter of interpretation.
This is a matter of the painfully obvious: If she was truly meant to be and be percieved as a meat robot, she wouldn't have hesitated to shoot EVA 03 in episode 18.
Episode 5 would portray her as following Gendo 'because he says so', not because she's genuinely loyal and willing to slap your face if you aren't/smiles at the thought of him. (Which isn't that uncommon for kids with suboptimal parents who don't really know what 'normal' is like before more life experience comes in - Heck, Shinji tries to win Gendo's favor untill ep 18. Does that make him 'inhuman and robotic'?)

Ultimately, she is, like her two fellow pilots (and ep 26 really beats you over the head with the parallel) a lonely person who doesn't think they have much value or significance, and thus poured all that they are in just one task because they know no other way to get in contact with other people and 'enter into their worlds', because that's the only thing they have, or think they have.
All three, in their own ways, paintakingly make themselves do this piloting thing untill they shatter.

And that's a sad situation to be in.

Her inventor discribes her this way:

"Whatever else, she needs to be painted in as a bitterly unhappy young girl with little sense of presence."

"Rei is someone who is aware of the fact that even if she dies, there'll be another to replace her, so she doesn't value her life very highly. Her presence, her existence, "ostensible existence," is ephemeral. She's a very sad girl. She only has the barest minimum of what she needs to have. She's damaged in some way; she hurts herself."

"Well, Rei is probably [the character] closest to my deep psyche. I don’t really understand her. …"

"There were parts where that’s what I was consciously doing, actively trying to put aside my presuppositions, trying to bring out the most primitive, the most core, the purest parts within me."

He's also got a weird 'shizoid disconnect'/'disinterest' thing going on, because artists are weird (and maybe this is part of how she baceme this barely-involved, solitary sidelines existence whose true thoughts and feelings seem far away) but spinning that into "She's meant as a shallow plot device , especially when contrasted with things like these:
As far as Rei is concerned, [I am] unconscious. I don't control anything. With "poka-poka," as well, I felt like she said it of her own volition before I was even aware of it.

He's liable to 'forget' about the freakin MC, Rei isn't all that special in that respect.

Asuka is projecting her head off, as she is in all of her relationships.
She's afraid of being/becomming what she accuses Rei, Misato and Shinji of; It's a way of distantiating herself from it.
A huge aspect of her dealings with Gendo is that he never quite considered her inner life beyond what he wanted him to be, and it ends up biting him in the ass, because she does have one.
what she meant to Shinji is quite succintly summed up in EoE ("hope that people can understand each other", more or less the exact opposite of what you're postulating - If she were meant to symbolize 'problemless blankless', then what is she doing in the 'anxiety over hidden/unpredictable parts' train montage during pre-Instrumentality? )

Read this.

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:13 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:This goes beyond a matter of interpretation.

Nothing in the realm of subjective (all art) goes beyond the matter of interpretation. I like Rei, but there's clearly less to her than with the other main characters, and she's only so mega popular because of her cute image. This isn't really a big criticism, as she's really intended to be like that, and it works well. The only Eva character I dislike is Mari.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:26 pm

You will like Mari once you fully comprehend her. To do this you must oil up and chase you friends and wrestle them until you achieve a state of gnosis.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:26 pm

Not liking her or personally being less interested in her is a subjective claim;

Saying she's less fleshed-out than the other characters or intentionally portrayed as a stepford wife no one right in their mind could possibly like or feel sorry for is not.
That's something that can be objectively answered by looking at the narrative structure and content of the episodes, and those devote as much time and structure to Rei as to anyone else.
Sure, she's a bit sparse around Asuka's introduction episodes, but she had her own earlier.
Of course there is always a filter of perception, but that doesn't mean anyone can make up whatever they like.

Rei is not a submissive robot; She is a damaged child soldier.

Literally analysis =/= audience reaction.
Last edited by Kendrix on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You will like Mari once you fully comprehend her. To do this you must oil up and chase you friends and wrestle them until you achieve a state of gnosis.

........Kaworu.........is that you?
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

James Sucellus
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby James Sucellus » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:40 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:You will like Mari once you fully comprehend her. To do this you must oil up and chase you friends and wrestle them until you achieve a state of gnosis.

Making friends is too much effort for this otaku. I'll oil up and wrestle my monitor, instead.

Doublegee
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Doublegee » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:16 pm

Kendrix is winning this thread harder than anyone has ever won anything in the history of the Internet.

EDIT: before you ask, yes, you can sig that.
Bob Dole doesn't have to take this kind of crap! Bob Dole is a cyborg!

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:07 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:Rei is not a submissive robot; She is a damaged child soldier.

Completely on the nose. Thanks, Kendrix.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:24 am

View Original PostGrand Duke of Yashima wrote:Completely on the nose. Thanks, Kendrix.

View Original PostDoublegee wrote:Kendrix is winning this thread harder than anyone has ever won anything in the history of the Internet.

:rei_blush:

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 am

To be fair, anytime you go off on a longish rant, I stop to read. I'd imagine that most of us do. Why? 'Cause you actually make points and bring up ideas worth mentally running through, not just rave like any number of rabid fangirls would.

So don't get embarrassed, just don't change.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:33 am

^
Wait, Kendrix raises many interesting points in her posts and you encourage her to never change, yet you admit to never read her long rants? :huh:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:35 am

^ I think you misunderstood - "I stop to read" means: "I take the time to read it", not "I stop reading".
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:49 am

^
Oh, yes, of course, my bad! -o-;
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:50 am

Ha! So it is. Even I thought he meant "I stop reading", and was admitting that the reason he stops is because Kendrix's posts are too much of a cognitive load for him to sort through and he'd rather just go on about his day.

Nobody says "I stop to read" to mean "I stop reading" so I find it hilarious that I read it that way.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”