Does Sadamoto Ship Rei or Asuka?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Tue May 06, 2014 7:12 am

^
Shinji was just tearing apart one of its pectoral tentacles, with great difficulties, nothing tell us that once Zeruel get back to his senses he wouldn't had obliterated Unit 01 with its insta-eyebeams and main tentacle swords, remember how he did it in Rebuild : after a few seconds, he extended its arms to teh sides, transformed them into toilet rolls of doom and impaled EVA-01 and lifted it dozen of meters above the ground before throwing it away, at which point he can raise again his AT Field, and no matter who was in control of EVA-01, unless it pseudo-evolve or Kaworu move his ass, the Eva is screwed.
Besides, the Dummy System can only be active during 208 seconds, with or without a power cable. It's more sure to have Shinji inside so he could pseudo-evolve it, or at least compel Yui to intervene if things get really ugly, which is still better than with the Dummy System.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 06, 2014 12:56 pm

The two continuities of series and Rebuilds differ at sufficient essential points that mix'n'match argumentation just doesn't hold water. Either we talk series or we move to the appropriate sub-forum.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue May 06, 2014 2:17 pm

This sort of got started as a discussion about such presentation differences, however significant you actually believe them to be.

We could go back to the manga, or simply switch the title to "Rei's presentation across continuities" or something like that. There's still at times the same people with the same ideas sitting behind em and the intention to comment or contrast. Stuff doesn't exist in a complete vacuum.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue May 06, 2014 2:32 pm

This thread had drifted so far from topic, that I'd forgotten that it was originally supposed to be about the manga!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

Does Sadamoto ship Shinji and Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

Not sure if Anno does, but Sadamoto did seem to put those two together considering the way he drew them in his official manga work. And there is also the part towards the end where Asuka did seem to be genuinely worried about him.

And let's not forget how these two met in end, with no memory of each other( though Shinji did have a sense of deja vu.).
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Re: Does Sadamoto ship Shinji and Asuka?

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:17 pm

I believe it's been well-established that Sadamoto favors Rei.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:26 pm

There's an interview (maybe in the back of one of the manga volumes??) where he mentions his favorite characters are in fact the older ones like Gendo and Fuyutsuki.

The manga definitely focuses on Rei/Shinji despite the Asuka/Shinji-ish ending, though.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:46 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I believe it's been well-established that Sadamoto favors Rei.

But his manga ends with Asuka and Shinji with no trace of Rei. He may "like" Rei more than Asuka but I think he's on the AsuShin boat.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:00 am

If I had to guess I'd say it probably has more to do with him trying to be different from the original than with his preferred ship. All that reixshinji stuff was present in the original he just played it up a lot more for the sake of being different.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:39 pm

View Original PostJoseki wrote:But his manga ends with Asuka and Shinji with no trace of Rei. He may "like" Rei more than Asuka but I think he's on the AsuShin boat.

I would have to agree with that, the ending does leave the door open for a future Asuka Shinji relationship.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:16 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:I would have to agree with that, the ending does leave the door open for a future Asuka Shinji relationship.

Like how EoE does?

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:32 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:I believe it's been well-established that Sadamoto favors Rei.

Sadamoto is aware who Rei is in relation to Shinji, right?
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:20 am

C.T.1290 wrote:Like how EoE does?

The manga ends on a much happier note, with Shinji's closing narration/inner monologue being a happier more confident version of what he said at the beginning of the manga, showing immense growth. There is much more chance of a relation in the manga than EoE, where Shinji and Asuka appear to be the only people left on earth.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:24 am

You gotta be fair, though. Sadamoto just sweeps all of that post-3I unpleasantness under a rug and skips straight to lookalike reincarnations some unknown amount of time in the future. The Shinji and Asuka who had previously appeared in the manga are dead, and have quite possibly been dead for centuries of time. EoE is honest enough to show the actual aftermath of the apocalypse. One could take a super cynical reading of Sadamoto's ending, and take it as implicit that you'll only make any real personal improvements after you've gone through several cycles of death and rebirth. At least in EoE it's just the one, and they're not memory-wiped clones either: they have the full burdens of their lives so far to carry and overcome.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Mack
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Mack » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Have to admit I'm surprised the manga funnily ended.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:02 pm

View Original PostMack wrote:Have to admit I'm surprised the manga funnily ended.

Funnily ended? What do you mean by that? Like how it ended in a weird sort of way?

Asuka'sBigBrother
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Asuka'sBigBrother » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:28 pm

EOE's ending is>>>>>>>>>the manga's yeah
View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:There is much more chance of a relation in the manga than EoE, where Shinji and Asuka appear to be the only people left on earth.

No, they don't. It's explicitly stated anyone can come back.

They're the only two in the location because
A. they're the first to return
and/or
B. They're the only two people who died in that location
and.or
C. Thematic significance

That they're the only ones coming back is wholly unsupported. Not sure how the Adam and Eve theory became a thing.
Last edited by Asuka'sBigBrother on Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just a big bro looking out for sistah

Mess with this crew, and I'll give you a blister

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:21 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:Funnily ended? What do you mean by that? Like how it ended in a weird sort of way?

It ended with some kind of reset, which disappointed those who want to see Shinji and co openly learn from their mistakes and experience. But it fits with a view of reincarnation, I guess, in which your previous actions affect your future life for better or worse.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

barnett
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby barnett » Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:46 am

I always got the feeling that Sadamoto never truly "got" the gist of Anno's story. I find the ending of the manga quite awful.
Overall I appreciate only his artwork (often stupendous), Kaji's backstory, and the scene with Ritsuko trying to strangling Rei, quite violent and unexpected, but extremely effective (Gendo and Misato however are walking disasters of characters)

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:16 pm

I think Sadamoto "gets the story", but his manga was dragged on for so long that it started as a "NGE manga" and ended up as a "Rebuild manga forced into NGE", and it's obviously harmed by that switch.

Shinji getting in the Eva to save Asuka and time loops fit more into 3.0 than they do in NGE.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”