Eva's Strongest Point?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

light444
Embryo

Eva's Strongest Point?

•      
  •      

Postby light444 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:14 am

Hi, new here! I watched Eva about a year ago. I liked it's story but not that much. I didnt care but I see lots of ppl rating it as a masterpiece. Well naturally, if something's popular its good, so I thought Im missing something, I mean there must be something they like about Eva, not just its story, but something that makes it a masterpiece. So i saw this recently in MAL http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=692401 . I know theres a reason why Eva is so popular that I even found this site.

Anyways, thats how it is. thanks!

Asukaner117
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Asukaner117 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:25 am

For me the strongest point were always the characters. The evangelions, as cool as they may be, are just a plot device, not the main point of the series. That's what separates NGE from most of the other anime's of it's kind.

The heroes in NGE are not what you would expect. They are flawed, act selfish, and lack even the most basic skills of human interaction to a level where you feel like yelling at the tv :D but they are still likeable. You see the reasons why they are acting the way they are, you see the pain and the fear that eats there hearts. And you want them to succeed, you want them to evolve, to live the happy live they deserve. because in the end they are just helpless pawns in a game they dont unterstand, played by powerfull men who fear death more then anything else.

You may say that NGE shows you the deep black abbys that lurks in everyone of us. And it shows what happens when you stop to swim against the stream and allow the abbys to win.

Of course, that's just my opinion.
God's in his heaven all's right with the world

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:43 am

I like Eva for the story, the characters, the use of religion and science, and the experimental elements in filmmaking. I mean, when was the last time you remember watching a show where someone talking to their subconscious was expressed by a horizontal line talking to a vertical line?

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:00 pm

I'd say the absolute strongest points of the series would have to be Anno's genius visual compositions and formidable talent for characterization.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

SimplyMason0
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SimplyMason0 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:56 pm

The characters and their relationships with how they stick to the Hedgehog's dilemma. Rewatcining it again it feels more like a drama with mecha rather than a mecha with drama like most sci-fi.

The Evas and Angels are great and creative.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:31 pm

Another vote for the characters here -- the only fiction I've encountered where I've encountered a true identification character in the warts and all sense. All that and world-shattering conspiracies too!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:16 pm

Characterization, definitely. They just feel so... human, especially Shinji. I haven't seen any other show treat so many different aspects of the human condition as skillfully as NGE does.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:51 pm

Anno's directing comes first, easily, from superb sense of framing to luxurious editing. Then rich characterization, daring and brilliantly deviant narrative structure third.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:16 pm

Getting repetitive - but it's characterisation for me as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:50 pm

The characters, I can easily relate to Shinji and Asuka. I thought, oh it's gonna be a typical giant robot anime, I watched it and boy was I wrong.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 pm

I agree with the five previous posters in regards to the characterization.

Also, Evangelion was the first anime that brought out my inner little boy.......and masculinity.....I'll leave it to your imagination by what I mean. It being a lolmecha anime is another factor too.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:49 pm

Characterization, richness of setting, direction, and the way everything is so thickly interwoven with everything else.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:41 pm

The rest of this thread wrote:Characterization plot direction creativity blah blah blah

Screw that crap! BLOOD AND THUNDER!

Also something something magic something something
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:39 am

View Original PostXard wrote:luxurious editing
Xard wrote:daring and brilliantly deviant narrative structure third.

Yup and yeah.

Related to the structure part but the way the series handles narrative tone is really incredible.

The murky start, gradual ascent into energetic optimism followed by a sharp and violent descent into catastrophic bleakness and pain capped off with a supremely cathartic apocalyptic/suicidal finale, feverish epiphany and return to square one eerily mirrors the trajectory of severe depression. Out of everything I've seen, only The Sopranos has managed to capture the cyclical state of living with such a condition with that kind of fidelity, albeit in a very different way (more muted and realistic, in contrast to Evangelion's colorful symbols and screaming dramatic highs as befitting the visual and narrative language of anime that it so knowingly appropriates).

So as another aspect of Anno's skills as an auteur I would add its really incredible level of boldness and emotional intimacy as a work of self-expression, along with his willingness and ability to try on all sorts of compositional techniques from the most accomplished formalism to the craziest of the avant-garde as a means to pursue that devastatingly personal vision, and somehow managing to make it all work in tandem. It's the kind of searing, intensely personal window into the very soul of an artist that typically only shows up once per generation in any given medium, let alone one as typically escapist and impersonal as anime.

(sorry if all that reads as pretentious but I just can't bear to let Xard one-up me for artfaggery. HE'S THE GARY OAK TO MY ASH GOD DAMN IT.)
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:19 am

Almost everything in Evangelion is amazing.

IMO NGE's strongest point=Characters.

NME's strongest point= Plot.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:35 am

Rebuild's strongest point is SPLOSIONS

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:21 pm

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Rebuild's strongest point is SPLOSIONS

Beautifully animated, SPLOSIONS!1

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:Anno's directing comes first, easily, from superb sense of framing to luxurious editing. Then rich characterization, daring and brilliantly deviant narrative structure third.

:lol:

OT: I'm not the biggest fan of the characterization (albeit good) but I think what stood out more to me was the oppressive and menacing atmosphere starting with the descent arc.

Also, EoE. The whole thing. I know it's not in the series per se. but. just putting it out there.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:13 pm

I would say the Core is probably an Eva's strongest point.
Leave Shinji alone

CJD
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby CJD » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:26 pm

Mark me down for characterization I guess. Really hard to pick just one thing when what makes Eva so great is all of it combined, though.

View Original PostSgt. Griff wrote:I would say the Core is probably an Eva's strongest point.

:lol: Well played.
You know you have some fucked up characters when a screenshot of them smiling is the biggest piece of fanservice possible in the series. - Anonymous
Be excellent to each other. -Abraham Lincoln
Asuka is a real person. -Bagheera
Human beings are scum. You people looking down on others for simply feeling an attraction to a fictional character are the real filth. -Kazuki_Fuse
CENSORED BY THE ILLUMINATI

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”