Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

The Official Sailor Moon thread

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm

I'm not sure if we have a thread like this, but this show was my gateway to anime and Eva. I enjoyed both the original series and the English dub and I am looking forward to the new anime when it comes out. The live action series PGSM and the musicals are good, please check out La Reconquista it's really awesome. As for the old anime I really want funimation to redub it, would be nice to own a complete set of dvds. The manga is good, can't wait for short stories 2 to come out in soon!

So, yeah I hope there are Moonies among evageeks.

caragnafog dog
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby caragnafog dog » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:38 pm

There might already be a thread but I'm not going to check.

I finished SuperS a few days ago, I'm well ahead of schedule to finish the series in time for the remake. First season is probably my favorite so far.

My sisters watched the dub when they were younger, and I remember seeing the black dream hole movie with them and thinking it was pretty creepy.
On 11/10/14, at 8:43 PM, Merrimerri wrote:
fhycjubg beat tge sgut iyt if gun
On 6/2/15, at 10:14 PM, Delispin wrote:
> Wow. I've disgusted even myself.

https://qnuw.wordpress.com/ The hottest new meme, revived in blog form. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw. qnuw/qnuw.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:50 pm

SuperS is my least favorite season, but it has some of the funniest filler episodes, I love the Minako two-timing episode. The 45 minute special episode is good and I recommend Ami-chan's First Love (aired right before the SuperS movie) if you haven't seen those yet. I love the first season with S coming in 2nd place followed by R, Sailor Stars, and then SuperS. The R movie is my favorite (the Makeup! Sailor Senshi special is cute), but then you have Fiore and Mamoru...

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:55 pm

Sailor Moon and DBZ together got me into anime, at some point before my teenage years. I always found the direction of the transformation and attack sequences of Sailor Moon interesting, and, story-wise, I liked that it actually presented relationships (of different varieties) as important, whereas so much else that I had seen up to that point had either steered clear of the concept or painted it as this incidental thing or kept relationship development safely off-screen (including, yeah, DBZ).

Something I've only thought about more recently: It never, ever occurred to me back then that it was a show that was supposed to be "for girls". The idea still strikes me as weird; I think it only occurred to me within the past few years that it might actually have been aimed at girls. I would say there was even a time when I would have believed it if I'd been told the target audience was actually boys, because it stars hot girls in short skirts who fight with feminine grace. :lol: Come to think of it, the boys I knew at school all watched both DBZ and Sailor Moon too. I wonder if that's why I never thought of it as a "for girls" show.

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote:I love the Minako two-timing episode.

YES. It remains one of the more memorable single episodes of any season for me.
Last edited by Monk Ed on Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:08 pm

SuperS is one of the most underappreciated anime ever.
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:22 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:SuperS is one of the most underappreciated anime ever.

It's got funny filler episodes, beautiful animation, a good movie, Ami-chan's First Love special, the 45 minute special (recap episode, Haruka and Michiru, vampire Lemures) if people can get past all of the the SuperS hate because it's more Chibiusa than anything it's really not so bad.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:39 pm

^Exactly. And that's ignoring Ikuhara's direction; his first series that explores the themes and bullet points he'll come back to with Utena and Penguindrum.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:45 am

Meh, he just wanted his full scale Yuri fantasy. :tongue:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: The Official Sailor Moon thread

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:47 am

View Original PostPrincess Asuka wrote: I enjoyed both the original series and the English dub

For reals? :cringe:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

The dub is actually really hilarious if you go into it not as an translation of the series, but rather, a really loose adaptation of a franchise done by people who were having too much fun trying to top their last one-liner.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:50 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:The dub is actually really hilarious if you go into it not as an translation of the series, but rather, a really loose adaptation of a franchise done by people who were having too much fun trying to top their last one-liner.

I liked some of the voices and the songs, but overall the dub was a mess. Here's hoping Funimation gets the rights to Sailor Moon and gives it a proper dub.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:45 am

I watched the first episode subbed, and even though it was cheesy as fuck with ludicrous amounts of QUALITY and less shading than the Transformers cartoon (which came out 8 years prior) I still loved it. Very campy, but still enjoyable.

Unfortunately it fell into the dreaded "Really liked, then forgot to carry on watching" pile, along with Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team, and countless other anime. I will probably watch the rest, but I need to get through the other shows I'm watching first. Also, I've already got one overly long Shoujo anime in the form of my childhood favourite, Cardcaptor Sakura, and I really need to finish that first (although that probably won't happen in like a billion years as I'm only 18 episodes or so through...out of 70...).

Dear god I suck at finishing anime.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:18 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:I watched the first episode subbed, and even though it was cheesy as fuck with ludicrous amounts of QUALITY and less shading than the Transformers cartoon (which came out 8 years prior) I still loved it. Very campy, but still enjoyable .

I can think of 10 episodes that look way worse than the first episode.

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:34 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:I can think of 10 episodes that look way worse than the first episode.

Any episode done by Masahiro Ando looked bad to me. Thank god for some of the better animators like Ikuko Itoh. S, SuperS, and Sailor Stars all had really good animation, Classic and R looked the same to me.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:45 pm

I got into the show through the DIC dub on Toonami and the Tokyopop comics in '98. I was 13 then. :cringe: In the early 2000s, I discovered the VKLL fansubs of S (Season 3) and random episodes of Sailor Stars (Season 5). Can't forget the Studio Chikashitsu fansubs of Season 1! The rest is history... -o-;

I'm not a dub fan by any means, but I prefer the DIC dub to Cloverway's (though Cloverway kept the original music). The Japanese version is my favorite by far. Can't wait for the new series in December or January!

Learning that Mitsuishi and Ogata were also in Eva is what got me into that; I also made a point of watching other anime they've been in (Excel Saga & Utena for Mitsuishi. Magic Knight Rayearth & random episodes of Card Captor Sakura for Ogata).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Ogata also did the voice of Petz, the eldest of the Ayakashi sisters. She also did some voices for some Monsters of the Day (Vampire and Seiren,) and a young Mamoru in the Sailor Moon R movie. I just love how Haruka/Sailor Uranus is a lot more manlier and aggressive than Shin-chan.

:rei_hissyfit:

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:17 am

View Original PostRei IV wrote:Ogata also did the voice of Petz, the eldest of the Ayakashi sisters. She also did some voices for some Monsters of the Day (Vampire and Seiren,) and a young Mamoru in the Sailor Moon R movie. I just love how Haruka/Sailor Uranus is a lot more manlier and aggressive than Shin-chan.

:rei_hissyfit:

Pen-Pen was a lot more manly and aggressive than Shinji.

Although the thought of Sailor Shinji is hilarious.

"I am...strangely comfortable with this outfit..."
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:29 pm

South Park just made a Sailor Moon reference in the latest episode.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:42 pm

View Original PostC.A.P. wrote:South Park just made a Sailor Moon reference in the latest episode.
No spoilers, please. I missed the 22:30 showing and will be sawing logs by the midnight rerun.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Princess Asuka
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Princess Asuka » Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:40 am

Just found out that Megumi Hayabashira (Rei Ayanami) voiced Himeko Nayotake in the Sailor Moon S movie.

Return to “Anime and Manga”