Welcome to Night Vale (Because No Else Has, Yet)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Welcome to Night Vale (Because No Else Has, Yet)

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 pm

Why the All-Powerful Glow Cloud has no one been talking about 'Welcome to Night Vale?' I have no clue where to post this demand, but as they've been posting their podcasts on YouTube, I guess the 'Film and Video' section is the best place to bring it up. And as my thread searches have yielded zero results (unless they're hiding), I have to assume that my fellow EvaGeekers have not said anything about this show.

Seriously, do you not know the amazing amazingness that you are missing? The sonorous serenity of the smooth Cecil's caramel-like voice as he tells you to run for your life it's Street Sweeping Day, the latest missives from the Sheriff's Secret Police on what the color-chart for the helicopters-of-the-day are, or just introducing the day's weather?

Seriously, it's great stuff. Has anyone else been listening to the podcasts?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:45 am

Ayup. I'm a big fan of the weather report.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:19 am

This is good stuff, and fully bump-worthy.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:31 am

Seriously: you EvaGeeks. This is the sort of podcast that is MADE for you folks. Arkiel, if you're still out there, you are wise. Wise, I say!
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Re: Welcome to Night Vale (Because No Else Has, Yet)

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:47 am

Bump..new fan to the series been marathoning episodes on youtube the last couple of weeks..I'm surprised there aren't more posts about it here.

The weather reports are nice but my favorite parts are the "words from there sponsors".
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 am

^ Wow, I haven't listened to that since college... should probably get back into listening. I can't even remember why I stopped. Guess it's an excuse to listen to the whole thing over again.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:48 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Guess it's an excuse to listen to the whole thing over again.

The first few episodes are probably the best ones , so that sounds like a good idea.

Welcome to Night Vale Pilot Episode if anyone is interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1048s&v=Ujksjzqrhys

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:56 pm

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:The first few episodes are probably the best ones , so that sounds like a good idea.

Welcome to Night Vale Pilot Episode if anyone is interested.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1048s&v=Ujksjzqrhys

Yep, now I know what I'll be listening to at work this week. Hopefully I can contain the laughter.

And thank you for posting the link,this will save me a lot of time at work ^_^
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:56 pm

Sorry for the double post, but after listening to the first 28 episodes over the past week at work, I remember why I loved the show so damn much. The pure absurdity of the series is what makes it so hilarious, although with Episode 19 and the comparison to Desert Bluffs, I can see why Cecile hates the place so much. While Night Vale may be filled with absurdity, paranoia, and things you shouldn't mention, or remember (like that dog park), Desert Bluffs appears to be full of sociopaths that ignore the blood and gore all around them.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon May 07, 2018 1:37 pm

Why do you need to notice those things when you are comfortably wrapped in the embrace of a Smiling God?

Believe...in a Smiling God!

Strex Corp. Look around you. Look inside you. Go to sleep.

....Strexxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx....
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue May 08, 2018 12:21 am

^ And don't forget that legally, angels don't exist.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Wed May 09, 2018 6:19 pm

^ nor do mountains...

Finally made it into the 100s episodes, I would probably be caught up with the series if i wouldnt go back and listen to some of my favorites, mostly the earlier episodes..

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Wed May 09, 2018 7:46 pm

As of now I'm on episode 92, which means that within the next few week's I'll be current with the series. I've been listening to this at work on my phone through youtube, and the episodes just fly by. Plus, listening to this is much better than listening to my coworkers complain about whatever the hell they complain about, because I'm not even saying attention. Though if I really needed to know, I'm sure I could just ask someone from the friendly neighborhood sheriff's secret police :lol:

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 11, 2018 9:28 am

I will say this though, I love almost all the characters they've introduced to the point in the series I'm at (episode 100). Dana is one of my favorites, along with Carlos, Hiram McDaniels, Deb, Maureen, Steve Calrsberg, and John Peters, you know, the farmer, just to name a few. However, Tamika Flynn is beginning to get on my nerves. Her character started out as interesting
SPOILER: Show
leading the revolt against StrexCorp.
But the last mention of her has just made her more irritating as a character.
SPOILER: Show
She seems to have let her power as the head of a teenaged militia armed with books go to her head, declaring herself a member of the City Council, like WTF? So you're a hero, but what have you done lately?
And I honestly hope that she just stops showing up, or she becomes a villain and is put down by the angels or literally anyone else.

It's odd, because she's the only character I dislike from the show. I didn't think it would happen, but there it is.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Fri May 11, 2018 1:17 pm

I feel the same way about Tamika Flynn. I liked her character early on but now she's just not as interesting..Dana is still one of my favorites as well as Cecil and Michelle from the record shop, she has the loveliest taste in music. But the character that I can't stand is Kevin, I usually want to skip those desert bluffs episodes. Now that you're in the 100s episodes don't they feel a bit more like the earlier ones? The only thing I'm missing are how well the "sponsors" part were done in the early episodes.

Oh and if you like Dana you might like Welcome to Night Vales other podcast Alice Isn't Dead.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=1128s&v=0DC_2eTAaEw

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri May 11, 2018 6:00 pm

^ Oh thank god I'm not the only one. I mean, she started out interesting enough, but I think they over wrote her importance, and now she's basically a criminal. Shame they went wrong with the character, but one out of so many is really not a huge issue. I can't believe I didn't list Cecil though -o-; though I guess it was implied considering you wouldn't listen to the show if you did't like the character :lol:

Kevin I don't mind. He's not a favorite, but seeing the dichotomy between Night Vale and Desert Bluffs, as I mentioned in an earlier post is interesting to see.

Though it was nice that the original opening music returned in Episode 94 or 95...? I can't remember which, oddly when I stop listening to the show I forget many things. But the show's themes and stories are returning to how there were in the beginning. I feel like with all the touring they did, they phoned in some of the stories, or over did a few things, but they seem to be making a correction to swing it back to the core of what Night Vale was at the beginning.

I will check that out, thank you sir.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sun May 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Im finally caught up with the latest episode of night vale. This show is so good..and would recommend it to anyone. I wish a lot more people here would give it a chance..now i guess it's a waiting game for new episodes...:(

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun May 13, 2018 5:22 pm

^ The downsides of binge watching.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:24 pm

Speaking of new episodes , this past week I'm finally in on the waiting game. The last episode was first I actually listened to within hours of it posting.

I'm curious how this newest episode trilogy will end too. I find Kevin very freaky, but I'm intrigued where this is going.

Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:17 am

Welcome to the club! I thought the trilogy was ok at best but I'm not a big fan of desert bluffs episodes or there 3 part episodes. Though this week's episode really hit it out of the park for me. I really need to listen to it again but I felt it kind of mirrored the desert bluffs episode on the reserruction of a new monument in both towns. ( Sorry for not posting sooner at least in this section, been busy with work and school)

Return to “Film and Video”