How would you feel if 3.0 & Final....

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

How would you feel if 3.0 & Final....

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:55 pm

Re-made the second half of NGE but with a couple new scenes ala-2.0 style, along with a new ending for Final? Instead of what we currently have now?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:16 pm

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:18 pm

I think I would prefer it to what we've gotten so far. I don't want to say 3.0 is bad, as I'm reserving judgment until Final comes out, but I still don't really like it.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:24 pm

It would have been a possibility that is nice and has potential, just as actual!Q would have been if the other path had been taken; It certainly was a daring choice.

I still hope that Anno & co will publish the unused, more trailer-like version /script/plans in a CR like fashion, tho, for posterity/curiosity value.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Would that even be possible with the series as it stands now? Assuming you're not saying they should just ditch continuity, which I wouldn't understand. You could shoehorn a lot of NGE sequences into Rebuild going forward, but it would require so much re-contextualization that it seems easier, in a way, to rebuild everything from the ground up.
Last edited by Warren Peace on Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:11 pm

View Original PostFireball wrote:Would have very much preferred that instead of this uncommitted mishmash of trying to be different but yet not really.

I know, right? I hate it when filmmakers remake their own material while also staying true to it. Like how I also think that Cecil B. DeMille should have totally changed everything up when remaking The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. Instead of casting him as Moses, he should have casted him as Jesus and make him part the Sea of Galilee to save the Jews from the Roman Empire before King David broke the Seventh Seal of Judgment and rain fire and brimstone upon Sodom and Gomorrah, killing Noah and his cousin Lot.

Fireball
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Fireball » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:19 pm

Would have very much preferred that instead of this uncommitted mishmash of trying to be different but yet not really.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I know, right? I hate it when filmmakers remake their own material while also staying true to it. Like how I also think that Cecil B. DeMille should have totally changed everything up when remaking The Ten Commandments with Charlton Heston. Instead of casting him as Moses, he should have casted him as Jesus and make him part the Sea of Galilee to save the Jews from the Roman Empire before King David broke the Seventh Seal of Judgment and rain fire and brimstone upon Sodom and Gomorrah, killing Noah and his cousin Lot.

Hell yeah, that would have been actually entertaining.

"I was born into the wrong time" - laughed the girl

「<ゝω・)\綺羅星☆!!/
[/size]

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:20 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing.

QFT.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

monitoradiation
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby monitoradiation » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:15 am

I'd rather if they'd remade the entire NGE series + EoE, frame by frame, changing none of the music nor script. Literally just a graphical / audio update. I don't care if it sounds like I'm asking to be milked - at least I can share NGE with friends and I don't have to convince them that it doesn't "look old". Honestly, I have a really difficult time with friends and having to make excuses.

As for rebuild... I wish they'd erase 3.33 and come up with something that doesn't involve what I still consider to be a lame timeskip. And likely erase part of 2.22 too.... likely most of Unit-02's scenes.
"0" is the past, "1" is the future, but "the present" is nowhere - this is an undeniable logic.
Among the countless parallel lines, I settle on "blasphemy" as my choice.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:32 am

Wow.... That sounds.... exciting.... yawn.

And of course is that happened people would nitpick certain animation choices made during this shot for shot remake. "They had Shinji blink in this shot when he didn't in the original! How could they ruin the power of that scene which was Shinji not blinking even though a person would in that scenario! God, they did something I didn't like! They're so stupid!" I'd of course also look forward to ReDraw of Evangelion having to be ReDrawn 5 years down the road becuase the animation has started to look antiquated.

If your friends don't have the temperment, intelligence or attention span to sit down & watch something old... GET BETTER FRIENDS.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:00 am

That would be boring as all Hell, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that I got a completely different 3.0 than what I saw in the preview. I would've taken that over current 3.0 any day.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:18 am

I would be utterly disappointed.

I happen to be one of the few people who legitimately liked Q, and I'm so glad we went off of the "let's just re-animate NGE" rails.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 2:09 am

Talk about a boring cop-out if that happens.

Not to mention that it would essentially leave a lot of unanswered questions.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:23 am

No, I wouldn't want the same stuff as NGE had.

Q's timeskip (And everything that happened in the film) was one of the most genius/best things I've seen in anime, for me.
Last edited by Giji Shinka on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:25 am

the NGE fanboy in me would pay cash money for that.

If I could choose, I would pick ep. 8-16 for a shot-for-shot remake, and follow that up perhaps with 17-24. 1.0's remake of ep. 1-6 did not appeal to me at all, IMO the beginning of NGE kinda dragged on.

this is just my opinion (~duh, right?) but 2.0 and 3.0 felt like a bit too much fanservice and not enough genuine eva. Anno's work in Kare Kano and Love&Pop attest to his continuing interest (after making eva) in exploring contemporary culture through the eyes of young people-i.e he was still interested in saying meaningful things to his audience.

But hey, it's hard to be original and inspired all the time! It's also hard to make anime, so for now I'll be content with anything Khara feeds us.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:17 am

Something along the lines of what we were originally led to believe the project would be, with the story shown from some different points of view to do the "what's going on", and of course the upgraded graphics; and not replacing one of the main cast by two other girls.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:06 pm

It's not worth condensing NGE into movies past Episode 6. I think that's what Anno found out. "Angel Attack" to "Rei II" really DOES play like one long film, and Anno got most of it into YA(N)A. After that, though? The episodes are too... well, episodic. Take Asuka's introduction alone. Why waste time with all these boats that are never going to be seen again? That's fine for a TV show, but for a movie? No way. Better to throw it out. And once you're rewriting that, why not keep going?

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: How would you feel if 3.0 & Final....

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:37 pm

View Original PostWunderBah wrote:Re-made the second half of NGE but with a couple new scenes ala-2.0 style, along with a new ending for Final? Instead of what we currently have now?

You are one evil person for thinking that, you know? :shinchair:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Toonsis
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Toonsis » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:12 pm

Although I'm not keen whatsoever on the original ending of the series, or EoE's ending for that matter, but if they chose to remake NGE frame-by-frame with the currently used animation for 3.0, I'd enjoy it. A lot, actually. The newer animation is simply gorgeous.

I do feel like Q would have been more satisfying(IMO), had it stuck to what was previewed in the past trailer. Yeah, it threw a massive curveball our way and did very unexpected things, but 2.22 ended in a interesting way to continue off of. Instead, it seems like some thrown together idea was thought up and sent our way.

BUT, whats done is done. No point wasting time on what-ifs. I just hope Final is at least 2 hours long. Q was too short.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby WunderBah » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:27 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:That would be boring as all Hell, but it still doesn't excuse the fact that I got a completely different 3.0 than what I saw in the preview. I would've taken that over current 3.0 any day.

Its pretty interesting how previews so far in RoE don't usually add up in the finalized version, which can obviously be due to constant re-writting and unfinished work.

Eva 2.0's preview almost lead us to believe that the 2.0 would be a 93% identicle remake of the events with Zeruel and such, but with Mari thrown in (kinda). Eva 3.0's though, in my view, may be a connection to what happened 14 year ago.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”