The Bioshock series

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:40 pm

Levine in an interview compared the origins of Comstock's religion to Mormonism.
Last edited by Ray on Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lorkhan
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Lorkhan » Fri Feb 28, 2014 3:35 pm

That aside, Comstock ignoring Christ and setting himself and Elizabeth above him as their own little cult doesn't exactly surprise me all that much, esepcially given he's taken to calling himself a prophet. The guy supposedly fulfilling Gods work in the first place would just sort of clutter Comstocks version of...well, everything.

Having an ego the size of Rapture doesn't help.
"Oh Aka, for our shared madness I do this! I watch you watching me watching you back!"

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:23 am

^That makes sense.

They do have use a sword, a key and a scroll as recurring religious symbols, and the Fraternal Order of the Raven seem to worship ravens (and John Wilkes Booth) as well.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:56 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Bioshock is to videogames what Eva is to Anime.

:\

Gonna have to second Tankred on this one.

I bought Infinite off a Steam sale during the Christmas season. I played up past the point where I dropped it when I rented it long ago, and now I've dropped it again. The thing just can't sustain my interest. I don't find the characters or story interesting at all -- I still have yet to see why Elizabeth is even worth noting let alone worth the praise she's gotten as a character in the video game press. And I'm certainly not seeing any comparisons to Eva that couldn't be made with anything else if you squint hard enough.

The point I last remember playing is
SPOILER: Show
not terribly long after Elizabeth learns that Comstock is her father, and I've defeated that general guy (Slate?) who talks shit about Comstock.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sun May 18, 2014 9:51 pm

I've just finished the DLC of Burial at Sea.

Now, I don't want to give any spoilers away in case any of you haven't finished it, but I can safely say this:

I now understand. The circle is complete. Now....it's up to HIM.........
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:59 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:
I bought Infinite off a Steam sale during the Christmas season. I played up past the point where I dropped it when I rented it long ago, and now I've dropped it again. The thing just can't sustain my interest. I don't find the characters or story interesting at all -- I still have yet to see why Elizabeth is even worth noting let alone worth the praise she's gotten as a character in the video game press. And I'm certainly not seeing any comparisons to Eva that couldn't be made with anything else if you squint hard enough.

The point I last remember playing is
SPOILER: Show
not terribly long after Elizabeth learns that Comstock is her father, and I've defeated that general guy (Slate?) who talks shit about Comstock.

Yeah, Elizabeth doesn't fight alongside your or become half as developed as I would have liked her to be. The most bonding I did with her was hoping she'd pass me a spare bottle of health in the heat of battle and that's about all she does. She can call stuff through rifts but usually it's just a distraction or not particularly useful in the situation, and she only acts autonomously at like three points in the game, in scripted cutscenes. She's certainly a far cry from other video game companions like Alyx from HL2, or even some of the better developed followers from Skyrim.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:59 am

In the past 3 days I picked up Bioshock Infinite again (jeez, I was one of the last people to comment on it here?) and finally just plowed through and beat it.

Didn't go anything nor anywhere near what I was expecting. To give you an example of just how off the mark I was, you know those three giant heads? They've probably showed up in promotional materials or something, cuz I first saw them long before I did in-game. It is no spoiler to say this: I thought they were gods who would actually speak and move at some point in the game and that Elizabeth would turn out to be some kind of child or avatar of them and that's why she's so special. Instead it seems it's just some kind of Columbian Mount Rushmore. :lol:

I built up a way different story in my head than what I saw concluded tonight. And I don't even remember what I read that put such ideas in my head!
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”