Badly remembered pop culture

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Badly remembered pop culture

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I thought I might use the community here to track down a couple of things from my childhood I have the vaguest of recollections of. I guess others can use this thread for the same purpose, if anyone else has these nagging pop culture memories.

Firstly, there's this American TV show the basic premise of which was that the authorities were tracking down this guy who didn't want to be found (fabulously descriptibe, I know). It was like The Fugitive, except more comedic and far more outlandish. One episode involved the fugitive guy meeting Elvis, who was still very much alive. Elvis might have been a lumberjack in the Pacific Northwest, or that might have been a different episode altogether. I think the protagonist's ex-wife might have been tracking him down as well, and I also think the final episode involved preventing the launch of a nuclear missile.

The other thing I'd like to find after all these years is a movie about a group of friends tracking down a legendary bottle of booze. I think the band Doors might have been involved somehow with the bottle. The two standout scenes that I remember involve a Jackass-style fireworks fight in a graveyard, and a parachuting accident that almost goes horribly wrong. The guy who's about to jump doesn't actually have his parachute with him. His friends on the ground realize this and try to warn him, but for some reason using the radio is out of the question. In desperation, they resort to writing giant letters on the ground using whatever items they can grab, their clothes and ultimately their naked bodies.

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:18 pm

This is freaking infuriating. I know what show you're talking about in that first paragraph but I can't remember the name or who was in it! I've spent the past twenty minutes trying to find it but I've gotten exactly nowhere. . . Looks like we're both going to be left out in the cold on this one. :(
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat May 17, 2014 10:09 pm

B-b-bump. I finally found out what the film was, by searching Youtube for "skydiving scene". Bam.

Now only the TV show remains unidentified.

Firetrout
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Firetrout » Sat May 17, 2014 10:20 pm

Time to sift through all this junk

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_American_television_series

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 pm

I tried that already. :dejected:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat May 17, 2014 10:51 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Now only the TV show remains unidentified.

Have you tried Reddit? It's boggling how people can figure shit like this out with such limited information.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Sat May 17, 2014 10:59 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Have you tried Reddit? It's boggling how people can figure shit like this out with such limited information.
[url]http://www.reddit.com/r/tipofmytongue[/url]
They will find anything.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Sat May 17, 2014 11:13 pm

The other thing I'd like to find after all these years is a movie about a group of friends tracking down a legendary bottle of booze. I think the band Doors might have been involved somehow with the bottle. The two standout scenes that I remember involve a Jackass-style fireworks fight in a graveyard, and a parachuting accident that almost goes horribly wrong. The guy who's about to jump doesn't actually have his parachute with him. His friends on the ground realize this and try to warn him, but for some reason using the radio is out of the question. In desperation, they resort to writing giant letters on the ground using whatever items they can grab, their clothes and ultimately their naked bodies.

[s]The Last[/s] Fandango.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fandango_(1985_film)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089126/
Last edited by soul.assassin on Mon May 19, 2014 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun May 18, 2014 12:06 pm

I did some more sleuthing, and I finally managed to identify the TV show as well, thanks to tvtropes.org and their disturbingly detailed Elvis sub-pages. It's Johnny Bago, a very-short lived series from 1993. It appears to be a surprisingly obscure show despite being produced by Robert Zemeckis. It doesn't have a DVD release and it doesn't look like I can even pirate it, so all I have is this intro on Youtube.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun May 18, 2014 12:52 pm

I remember Johnny Bago. It was on the UHF channels at one in the morning. I can't believe anyone else even remembers it exists.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Mon May 19, 2014 6:05 am

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:I did some more sleuthing, and I finally managed to identify the TV show as well, thanks to tvtropes.org and their disturbingly detailed Elvis sub-pages. It's Johnny Bago, a very-short lived series from 1993.
Yes! Thank you. It was really driving me nuts not being able to remember the name of this damn show. :D

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:37 am

Anyone able to help me track down a song from the 90s? All I recall is the music video which featured a stuffed toy that was misunderstood by all the other toys in the room. In the end, the stuffed toy performs a play and then commits suicide after leaving a note. I remember really liking the song but only saw the MV once late one night years and years ago on TV. Google's never been able to help me with this endeavour sadly.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:13 pm

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:39 pm

That's the one. You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Thank you kindly.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:57 pm

I got one driving me nuts for so many years.

A '90s PC game (from my childhood) where humanity's long extinct/disappeared but various animal tribes exist. A fox (?) and 2 other members of different tribes have to complete different quests to find some kind of artifacts.Think it had something about stars or space travel mentioned in the game's opening, like the tribes gazing at the stars.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:49 pm

I recently had my own memory jog of sorts while surfing youtube videos the other day. When I was very young, I remember waking up early on weekends to catch shows like Family Double Dare or Nick Arcade on Nickelodeon and Masters of the Maze, Family Challenge, and some other kid game show that involved racing different types of vehicles on The Family Channel (what ABCfamily is now). I never could remember the name of that racing show until I saw this in the youtube sidebar for related videos. The show was called Maximum Drive and aired for only one season in 1994.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bR2ibPf9W-E[/url]
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:33 am

^
The one game show I remember the most is the Carmen Sandiego one, I even remember the animated show she had.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:29 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:^
The one game show I remember the most is the Carmen Sandiego one, I even remember the animated show she had.

Used to watch that too, but it was usually on during weekdays after school on PBS. I remember the endgame being almost impossible to beat in the time limit they gave. The early to mid 90s had the best kids game shows. Orange Iguanas 4 Lyfe.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:55 am

It's a shame that most of my childhood TV shows just don't hold up anymore
and I can barely watch them now.

Only a few selected ones are still really enjoyable to me today

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:53 am

There was this old black and white Sci-Fi movie I really want to watch again, but I can't seem to remember the name, or names of the characters. It was from the golden age of cheesy 50's-60's era of Sci-Fi movies, but unlike others you may remember from MST3K this one is actually one of the better ones.

The plot is, Aliens crash land outside of a small town and shapeshift/impersonate humans in order to get supplies to rebuild their ship. The townsfolk of course, go crazy and become paranoid of each other.

Ultimately the story is about overcoming prejudice and was clearly an allegory for something I can't quite remember.

I remember this particular scene in it that almost seems like a scene out of an entirely different movie. Where the main character and the towns sheriff are talking to each other and the hero points to a tarantula on the ground and asks him why he's afraid of the spider. He compares the aliens to it, and asks the sheriff what he'd do to the tarantula if it could talk. The sheriff responds by silently walking over to the tarantula and stepping on it.

It aired on TCM a couple of times, but I don't have cable anymore. If anyone here could help me I'd greatly appreciate it.

Return to “Film and Video”