TMB's super happy fun Eva model-building adventures

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:00 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:OPTIMISM.

Still here, checking this thread once in a while.

Keep it up mate. ;)

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:04 am

Ganbatte, TMB. You can do it!
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:50 am

DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN'S LIES.

HE IS A LAZY, LAZY MAN.

I did get distracted with yet another project but that's not worth posting until there's visible results...
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:13 pm

Bah, might as well post something potentially worthwhile (not guaranteed) instead of just excuses. So here’s some really elaborate excuses with pictures. Gonna be rant-y. Chronicle of the last 50 days.

First of all I’m lazy. I have no work ethic. None. Especially when I make plans. The bigger the plan the less gets accomplished. I have trouble getting myself started on anything. The only way things work out is if I persevere enough to get into “the zone” and keep working away, crouched over my table until my guts hurt. If something goes wrong, BOOM, I’m out. I might abandon the thing for a day, a week, a month, a year, a decade…
This is why this is unlikely to ever be a “how-to “thread. That requires lots of planning, lots of extra work and especially requires getting all things done to be presented nicely. So instead this is a “come along and see this tiny thing I did” thread. Seems that’s interesting to at least two people. :D

So let’s review the plan from a bit ago. Priorities were the Bandai TV and Volks TV 02 kits since they are ready to paint. All the fixing, and 80% of the fine prep-work is done. Just needs paint. Volks is going to be a flat finish all around while Bandai will be high gloss armor on top of flat “skin” to match the 00 I finished years ago. So both need some parts under the armor to be flat black. Black paint goes on, no problem. Leave it for a few weeks to cure and because a bit lazy. Finally the flat clear goes on, in this case Testor’s Dullcote. Leave that for a few weeks to cure just to make sure nothing goes wrong. And then it goes wrong. For some reason the Dullcote just rubs off.

Just from handling the part. Paint underneath is perfectly fine but the Dullcote is not. I gave it extra time to cure so wtf? Never had this problem before. My last can of Dullcote was great. The 00 has Dullcote flat parts and they’re still great many years later. No idea what’s going on. Maybe my new can is from a bad batch or something. Now I have to figure out what’s wrong. Lots of people ragging on Dullcote on the internet. Ok so what do I switch to? People are praising Krylon Flat Clear in the same thread, but I’ve tried it before and hated it. Did they fix it? Maybe I should just switch to Future + Tamiya Flat Base that people always rave about. Either way this is one of those BOOM moments that completely discourages me and now I don’t want to deal with painting anymore.

MOVING ON TO SOMETHING ELSE THEN. Well I have the Wille kits that need work before painting. I have 5 of those babies at this point. They need a bit of cleanup. 08 is mostly fine, literally just cleanup of some of the molding artifacts. 02 has a crap head that needs to be remade from scratch. The mechanical arm is lazy too. Freshly discouraged I need something encouraging so I take the easy task of fixing 08 first. This is just some really basic stuff. The way some parts are molded is a bit disagreeable, but understandable. Not everything can be perfect. First the innards.

I don’t want any of the black “skin” showing through the armor to attract attention so it needs to be featureless.

Just smoothing stuff out, removing anything that might catch your eye.

Moving on to the armor you get these little weird nooks and crannies because these are somewhat fancy pieces to mold and to be able to do them in a 2-part mold you need to sacrifice a bit. Bandai is also very strict about maintaining minimum thickness so you get all sorts of bits. Not that much of a problem though, quick and easy cleanup.

Much better.

But…

Wait…

Why does the white torso bit go on top of the chest armor? That’s not how it’s supposed to work…

Those are the 3DCG models from the actual movie. That’s how it SHOULD look like! Why isn’t the kit like that? Well this clearly needs to be fixed.

Ok now we’re getting there. Maybe not THERE yet but at least closer. Wait…fuck. If I’m fixing this one, am I going to fix all 5 of my Wille Evas to be the same? Why did I just take the simplest task and overcomplicate it for myself? These were supposed to be just quick, minor tweaks, not an overhaul of the entire mid-section. There goes my quick and easy plan…

This is where things usually go horribly, horribly wrong for me. Start small and before you know it WAT. At one point in cleaning up the Bandai TV 02 I started cutting out the vents in the pylons. Those are clearly vents. In my mind the pylons is where the Evas have their APUs and other stuff that helps run all the non-flesh subsystems. You have intakes at the front, exhaust at the back. While deployed the gas generators are running. While in the cage there are some external motors that plug into the pylons. (Pic, Pic) Noone wants to run gas generators indoors so those external motors that plug in and take over make perfect sense. They keep the Eva’s internal electrical generators and whatever else, compressors for hydraulics, etc, etc running with no fumes! Clearly those vents deserve to exist and cutting them out would even make the painting easier. Drill it out with a pin vise, clean up with the knife and sand a little bit. The back one is easy.

The front is harder because stuff is in the way.

Fortunately you have a convenient panel line you can cut through.

Now you can hole out the front intake much easier.

Wait…fuck. Why am I doing this exactly? I’m trying to make the Bandai TV 02 match my finished 00 and that doesn’t have the vents cut out. I was just supposed to clean up the panel lines on the pylons and now I’m sitting here having wanked up the internal subsystems as justification for the modifications? Start small and before you know it WAT.

*does the overcomplicator’s salute*

Ugh, so what else do I have…

ZOMG THE Rei

Or rather Yui Ichijo is you go by Sadamoto’s labels in the sketch. This is a resin kit based on those early concepts. Sculptor's site: http://www.sko.janis.or.jp/~suzu/atomicbom/
This is actually the first resin kit I’ve ever attempted to build all the way back in 2004. I screwed up the paint job and it has been abandoned ever since, for pretty much a decade…

Well this too got abandoned pretty quickly yet again, but that’s ok. The 10th anniversary of buying the kit is in August so I still got time. Alternatively I could aim for December 2016 which would be the 10th anniversary of the Asuka kit from this set getting finished…

So for anyone curious the situation right now is everything mentioned in the thread so far is abandoned and tasked with being air filters.

Right now I am fairly excited about something new and am trying to get that going. I want to work on it while I’m still excited about it so that it’s easier to keep motivated. Results of this super-secret project hopefully soon. Hopefully.

Soon.

Maybe soon-ish.
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:14 am

Wait, why do you have 5 Wille kits? :huh: Are you gonna make an EVA 8+2? lol

Thanks for the update! Even if UPDATE: ABANDONED, lol

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:47 pm

Q Wille team of 02 and 08
+
Final Preview 8+2
+
Final fanwank Wille 01 nomal & awakened versions
------------------------------------------------------------------
=5 Wille Evas needed

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:37 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Q Wille team of 02 and 08
+
Final Preview 8+2
+
Final fanwank Wille 01 nomal & awakened versions
------------------------------------------------------------------
=5 Wille Evas needed

Awesome. :D

Can't wait.

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:41 pm

Still building stuff?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:10 pm

Yes, as slowly and lazily as ever. I keep wanting to post updates on some stuff but keep getting distracted by non-Eva stuff.

2/3 Eva-related http://i.imgur.com/vazzjgL.jpg

I'm aiming for the stars right now and hope to post at least one fully painted Eva kit by the end of the year :P

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:19 pm

Well TMB you'll be pleased to know I have a plan for getting my Eva plamo back on track. The legs you sent me are great, all parts present and correct, and I got some Mr Clear Colour Clear Purple. Only thing is, it needs special thinner (as water or other thinners make it turn into this horrible purple sludge) so I'll have to spend yet more money. Fortunately I'm pretty sure it's acrylic so it shouldn't damage the paint underneath. I'm thinking of using the Tamiya Chrome Silver over a durable gloss black primer coat (need to find some good gloss black as all I have ATM is this crappy Plastikote stuff) as my silver to apply the shiny with.

I'm wondering; should I leave the "leg shells" unglued for painting to reduce risk of fuck-up and just make sure the join line is fairly inconspicuous, or should I take a risk and glue it together to totally avoid the seam? After the last disaster I think I might just paint them and then glue them together afterwards, seams be damned.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:05 pm

IMO the Eva legs have fairly simple lines and the seam interferes with those. You can always practice on something else first, cheaper kit, plastic spoons, etc.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:08 pm

I practiced last time. It still ended badly.

My fault for using glass paint admittedly...
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Oh you can never have enough practice :D

kevinlowl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby kevinlowl » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:49 pm

"by the end of the year" lol

I know you mentioned the Mass Production Eva with the rubber head is all gimmicky but I can't help myself. Got one along with Sachiel coming my way soon. They both popped up together, how can I not? :D

BTW, have you seen the new Kotobukiya 1/400 scale kits? The proportions look so sweet! It's perfection. It's like they took the Robot Damashi EVA and made it into a kit. I've always found Bandai kits, even the Rebuild ones, to have extra wide shoulders.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:52 pm

At the very least the "ubber-head" variety has proper bendable arms, so there is that.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:57 pm

I've had Koto's Eva kits since they came out, they are far on the back burner because they'll get special treatment.

At this point I pretty much have enough kits and ideas to perpetually build and paint for at least 2-3 years if I actually get stuff done. Probably a decade if I'm lazy.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:40 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

We're actually getting somewhere.

Masking, the most tedious of all tasks

Pssssssssssshhhhhhh pshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Removing the masking, one of the most fun of all tasks

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu some of the paint came off with the masking. Oh well, we'll fiddle that later.

Oh baby, just one little strip left

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

So the colors so far have come out a lot more saturated than the manual wants it. The light greys are just outright creamy or even approaching tan. Seems Dark Yellow and Dark Earth are a lot more potent when just adding a few drops. After the first two did that I just went and did the same with the darkest grey. At this point I'm contemplating whether to leave it or maybe go over the whole things with either a cloudy clear or a very fine coat of white to lighten things up and potentially blend better. If I don't finish this baby when it's so close to being done, I'll go Sachiel on its ass.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Slight change of plans.

Instead of spraying the whole thing a translucent white to lighten in up I tried this technique instead:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUFo-Pg3JAc#t=4m39s

I started on the engine pods first as practice, first attempt didn't look much different than just spraying on the lighter shade solid

Switching to the other side, starting to get the hang of it

First lighter shade done on the body, bit of an improvement than the solid dark grey we had at first

Added more white like the video, 2nd pass with an even lighter color

The result

I'm in an incredibly good mood now. Except for some stomach cramps. Spraying takes so long and I have to sit in such an awkward position to get into the spraybooth tucked into a corner that it's blargh. I should build myself a more ergonomic spraybooth next year.

PainXIII12
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby PainXIII12 » Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm

will you be getting the kotobukiya evangelion 13?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:33 pm

Yes, eventually, when I have money and/or it's on a good sale. Kotobukiya prices are a bit steep, I'm a bit cheap, but I'll definitely be getting all the Koto kits inevitably because they're so damn good looking so far.

So the bottom two colors on the VTOL were a different experiment. Instead of spraying a lighter shade in the middle of each panel I took some Smoke Grey and sprayed it around the edges of each panel. This is a bit harder to get consistent but now at least I have a tiny bit of practice with either method.

Too late in the night to pump up the compressor again. Tomorrow as soon as everyone's awake I'll spray the red stripes. A few hours after that's cured I'll hopefully spray the darkest dark grey and that'll be it for painting. After that decals and weathering and hopefully doooooooooone.

Return to “Fan Works”