Lamp Festival with Anno drawings

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:32 pm

I have a feeling that he deliberately makes these sort of things as vague as possible because he enjoys seeing us squirm and overanalyze something that could very well have a really simplistic answer. -o-;
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

ApolloIVtv
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ApolloIVtv » Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:19 am

Wait, how do we know for certain that "3.0+1.0" is the new title? Is it because he's done this before with other laterns or something?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 am

Perhaps the entire "3.0 + 1.0" thing will boil down to Anno displaying lanterns based off Evangelion designs from 3.0 and 1.0 - or in other words, no content from Final.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:20 am

Considering that FINAL is FINAL and not 4.0 (3.0 + 1.0), I'm not sure this is directly about FINAL. I like the idea posted SSD's twitter contact, that this is actually some additional episode, perhaps dealing with the timeskip or something. FINAL might be the last movie, 3.0 + 1.0 could always be a short or an OVA or something.

If it does mean something about FINAL, the implications of "nonexistent origin" is extremely interesting. Is it talking about the FAR, and their connections to the Angels, Kawuro, and Rei? Could it be something to do with the mysteriously maligned loop theories? Something about Shinji's place in the world? Who knows?
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 11, 2014 12:54 pm

I don't think it necessarily has to be the movie's title, meself. Is it related? Probably, but I don't think enough so to be the name.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:25 pm

Any sentence Anno could've scribbled there would have caused waves of speculation; Still, he chose something as cool as "nonexistent origin".

It might just be good ol instrumentality in a new wrapper, tho, the return to the origin that is also nonexistence, sort of like those EoE posters, but more minimalistic aesthetic wise.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:24 am

View Original PostSorrow wrote:If it wasn't meant to imply something then why not just "FINAL", "4.0" or anything else people would expect?

That isn't to say it undeniably has real significance - but anyone can see there is an implication of sorts in the choice of title and message about origins. It may even be unintentional--doubtful--but it says something that people don't readily understand. Therefore attempting to decipher is the expected outcome.

Cause Final will (never) happens

It's over

the chaos will begin

The next is just the 14 years and it will be the end of Eva. :devil:

Raikiri
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Raikiri » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:06 am

Hey, have you guys taken into consideration that Next: Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0 (I'm including the whole thing from the main site) could be some kind of spin off, or something to fill the plot hole bettween 2.0 and 3.0? I say this 'cause, the main page of the site, has Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0, while the 4.0/ll/Final still has the "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban:ll" title on the image?

Or it also could be an extended version of the "sneak peek" that would've been shown after the TV version of evangelion 3.0. (I'll take a wild guess and say it could be Shinji, Asuka and Rei walking through the red desert and finally reaching "something")

...this is so confusing...
w0t?
- Everyone after everything Anno does

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:58 am

Popping in to repost this since it's buried underneath the thread pages
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:34 am

I wonder if the implication isn't that we're going to get a RahXephon end -- that is, after Q the world is somehow reset and Shinji gets a do over in an Eva-free world. Not just the ending Sadamoto hinted at, mind, but a world truly without Eva. A world with no giant robots, no space aliens, no bullshit -- just a boy vs. the world, same as the rest of us.

But perhaps I'm being optimistic.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:02 am

The movie is called You Can (NOT) Redo for a reason. Whatever ending we get, I highly doubt it will be a rest button.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:05 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The movie is called You Can (NOT) Redo for a reason. Whatever ending we get, I highly doubt it will be a rest button.

3.0 + 1.0 suggests otherwise.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:17 am

I would be vastly amused if that turned out to be a whole movie in the episode 26 alternate universe. But I think the Rebuilds have gone too far for the "the conspiracy and giant robot bits are just Shinji having psychotic episodes" twist.

Also 3.0 + 1.0 makes 3rd Boy + EVA 01
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:50 am

^ Ooh, good catch!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:52 am

Indeed. As expected, Anno has me interested in what comes next.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:40 am

View Original PostRay wrote:The movie is called You Can (NOT) Redo for a reason. Whatever ending we get, I highly doubt it will be a rest button.

It’s also called You Can (Not) REDO, meaning there could be a reset button. These movies have a funny way of considering and then reconsidering their “(Not)” titles.

1.0 - You Are (Not) Alone: Shinji learns that he’s not alone. At the very least, he has Misato. The parenthetical is true in this title.

2.0 - You Can (Not) Advance: Shinji increases his “not alone” status, but the movie gives a rather false sense of advancement. Sure, Angels are defeated, but at what cost? Asuka almost dies, and Rei is eaten by the 10th Angel. Rescuing Rei clearly caused some sort of apocalypse. The parenthetical in both titles are true. Shinji isn’t alone, but he can’t advance either.

3.0 - You Can (Not) Redo: Shinji is alone. Misato tells him that he will do nothing, and then she and her entire Wille crew abandon him all at once. Later on he’s placed in isolation. Even at Nerv he’s alone at first. The Rei Shinji knew doesn’t exist in physical form, and the one friend he briefly has is brutally killed by the end of the movie. The parenthetical of the first title is suddenly false. Shinji is alone. The parenthetical of the second and third titles are currently true.

3.0+1.0 could help Shinji return to not being alone, as was stated in 1.0’s parenthetically true title. He could either be doing this as a result of physically resetting everything, as 3.0’s false parenthetical interpretation suggests, or it could be that everyone else forgives him, allowing him to start his life over again a new man. This would be a more emotional sense of the false parenthetical interpretation of 3.0’s title, rather than an explicit physical one. I like that latter reading better, since Shinji was already denied a physical reset in Q. After that one option wasn’t available in Q (and probably won’t every be available), it would seem more fulfilling to have Shinji explore a way of “redoing” his relationship with his friends through forgiveness and trust, rather than through wishing “Wait! Let’s go back!”

This would also, for the first time in the series, render 2.0’s parenthetical to be false. Let’s think about it, all three titles should have the opportunity to be considered reconsidered throughout the series. Shinji could not actually advance in 2.0. We see that now. Things only got worse. 3.0 offers an alternate question. Instead of advancing, can you redo? At first it seems as though he can actually redo, but then that opportunity is taken away from him. The “(Not) Redo” title, at least on a physical level, has already been considered false at the beginning (he could probably redo), and then reconsidered to be true by the end of the same movie (he couldn’t redo). The “(Not) Alone” title was considered in the first two movies to be true, then reconsidered in the third movie to be false. The “(Not) Advance” title has been considered in the second film and at the beginning of the third film as true (he could not actually advance), but hasn’t really had an opportunity to be reconsidered in a subsequent film to be false yet. We’ve yet to see Shinji actually advance in this film series.

At the end of FINAL, I wonder if Shinji will be faced with the decision of either having to advance, or having to redo. To redo is to run away from advancing, something that Shinji supposedly mustn’t do. (“I mustn't run away!”) In order to do that, he must first learn how too not be alone again by asking for forgiveness from his friends. By doing so he is “Redoing” his friendship plus becoming “not alone.” (Hence the 3.0+1.0 numbering in the title.)

Now, of course when (and if) we do get a “You ... (Not) ... ” title for 3.0+1.0, I’ll have to rethink everything. :hahaha:
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:55 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I wonder if the implication isn't that we're going to get a RahXephon end -- that is, after Q the world is somehow reset and Shinji gets a do over in an Eva-free world. Not just the ending Sadamoto hinted at, mind, but a world truly without Eva. A world with no giant robots, no space aliens, no bullshit -- just a boy vs. the world, same as the rest of us.

But perhaps I'm being optimistic.

What I got from a conversation on imdB was that 3.0 had parallels to RahXephon to ridicule that kind of ending.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:14 am

Now that I remember it, Anno's drawing of the new title wasn't just "Evangelion: 3.0 + 1.0", but he also added an etc. at the end.
SPOILER: Show

So, anyone want to speculate on what that "etc." could mean?

Does that mean that there will be more after the next movie? 3.0 + 1.0 will be an interquel/prequel about the 14 years time skip before the true "FINAL" is released? Troll?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:15 am

Or just the rest of the title - you ... (not) ... - which he hasn't yet decided.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:25 am

What is it you wish for?

SPOILER: Show
No more Evas
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”