Lamp Festival with Anno drawings

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:35 pm

Any few words from Anno about the next Eva film are like a lover caressing your genitalia after a month of giving you blue balls.

As expected of the master.jpg
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:47 pm

Every time I see that image I think "Anno is not my master."
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Aug 08, 2014 2:11 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:We were linked to on CrunchyRoll, how cool is that?

Publicity = good. All aboard the Evageeks train.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:13 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Every time I see that image I think "Anno is not my master."

Yet here you are, worshipping at his feet like the rest of us! :lol:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:04 am

Damn, I stay disconnected a few days due to vacations, and here's what I miss!

Anyway so far that peculiar orthography could mean too many things to have a proper idea of what's in store for FINAL: it could be a simple stylistic effect, the same way 3.0 was named "Q" instead of "Kyu", or an hint of a relation between 1.0 and 3.0, be it thematic (No, you are not alone Shinji, you can redo your relationship with others, so wake up already goddammit!)or literal (Puer Magi Kaworu Magica), or simply Anno knowing how the time loop theory is widespread and playing on it to troll us and throw us a big fat red herring!
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:27 pm

Clearly FINAL will be renamed to New Theatrical Evangelion 3+1 and Unit 8+2 will be the EVA with the more sceen time.

Anno loves the + symbol.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:46 pm

Does this mean I can hope the Bluray release will be called:

Evangelion 3.33 +++ 1.11?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:13 pm

A Japanese fan on Twitter sent me this Minna no Eva Fan link yesterday, here's how Eva Fan does the possibilities breakdown. Quick translation.

1: Additional Episode theory - Maybe there's a supplemental episode (the "plus 1.0") . For example, what happens during the past 14 years. The "etc" could imply an additional episode. For example: 3.0 + 1.0, 3.0 + 2.0, 3.0 + 3.0.
    Issues: This supplement could be before the eventual conclusion of FINAL.

2: 3.0 loops back to the start of 1.0 theory - Maybe the 3.0 and 1.0 is hinting that Q loops back into Jo (序, Prelude) as repetition? Kaworu's lines (the unexplained/mysterious ones from 1.0 and 2.0: "The third one again", "you never change, do you?", "this time, I'll bring you happiness"), could imply a loop. What Break means with no 2.0 could be that Prelude Break Q Prelude Break Q repeats within itself (from Q to Prelude) so a connecting episode could be depicted.

3: EVANGELION 3.0 + 1.0 = 4.0 (Addition) theory The most straightforward explanation is addition. In simple terms, 3 + 1 = 4. With nothing changing, the 4th installment is revealed to be FINAL.
    Issues: Why would addition be necessary?

4. 1.0 means "New Eva: 1.0" theory The theory is 3.0 means Q, but couldn't 1.0 mean "New Eva" instead of Prelude? In other words, Q is the first part of a "New" series. Opponents are: the way the "Evangelion New Theatrical Edition" series logos are written, the difference in the 0 in "3.0" (compared to 1.0 and 2.0), but the 0 in "3.0 + 1.0" being the same. Proponents are: in the original plans, 3.0 and the finale were to be screened together. The "plus" in Eva 3.0 + 1.0 means the reappearance of Q + the finale. In other words, 『EVANGELION:3.0』+『SIN EVANGELION:1.0』(Evangelion New Theatrical Version: Q + New Evangelion Theatrical Version). The etc could mean New Eva 2.0 and 3.0 are also likely.
    Issues: *Q once more screening in theaters. *Would Q stay the same, or would it be a remake. *Or: after the TV version of Q, will "New" 1.0 be broadcast.

無在原点 (Nonexistent origin) This is what's written below the『EVANGELION:3.0+1.0 etc.』logo. When thinking about the Kanji
    *Nothing exists at the starting point *The original doesn't exist *The beginning doesn't exist
doesn't it give this impression? In the past there were things just written [on the Anno lanterns], and not necessarily related to Eva.

To be honest, theory 4 just confuses the shit out of me. It's essentially saying maybe "New Eva" = another (new?) 3 part film series, so yeah. I doubt that's what 3.0 + 1.0 means. :uhh: Of course, there's no listed "issues" with the loop theory. :devil:
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:38 pm

Final is just going to be 3 hours of Mari and Asuka lecturing and writing on a whiteboard about math, starting with basic operations and going up to differential equations before finally getting bored and starting a desk flipping contest.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:49 pm

Because Final's all about addition? :lol:

But seriously, I do think at this point, we're getting one of 2 things: Straightforward(?) and sane theory 3, or "Anno WTF R U doin" but still interesting if done right Theory 2. But most likely, FINAL'll be something we can't even speculate correctly, like 3.0 was.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:54 pm

Things like this make me seriously question my default belief that Anno is not entirely out to troll everyone.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

FluffyBunny
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby FluffyBunny » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:36 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:*Nothing exists at the starting point *The original doesn't exist *The beginning doesn't exist

Sorry for trying to split hairs, but the first one sounds more like "the origin(starting point) does not exist" as opposed to "nothing exists at the starting point". The rest two are fine I guess.
・原点は存在しない <<--(this one)
・オリジナルは存在しない
・始まりは存在しない

*edit*
Oops, that was just typical of me with no manners. I should have begun this post with: "thank you SSD for the info and the translation. I found one nitpick there."
Last edited by FluffyBunny on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:48 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Things like this make me seriously question my default belief that Anno is not entirely out to troll everyone.

C'mon, it's just a teaser like any other. I think everyone bringing up sequel or even loop theory business in this topic as a result of just this is way overreacting.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:07 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:C'mon, it's just a teaser like any other. I think everyone bringing up sequel or even loop theory business in this topic as a result of just this is way overreacting.
If it wasn't meant to imply something then why not just "FINAL", "4.0" or anything else people would expect?

That isn't to say it undeniably has real significance - but anyone can see there is an implication of sorts in the choice of title and message about origins. It may even be unintentional--doubtful--but it says something that people don't readily understand. Therefore attempting to decipher is the expected outcome.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:33 pm

View Original PostFluffyBunny wrote:Sorry for trying to split hairs, but the first one sounds more like "the origin(starting point) does not exist" as opposed to "nothing exists at the starting point".

・原点は存在しない <<--(this one)

原点 can be "origin" or "starting point" so I figured you could go either way with it. The rest of the translation, I get what you mean. Thanks for your input though, you make a good point. :kaworusparkle:

Monk Ed: I do agree that a lot of the speculating will (probably) be for nothing in the end, but it doesn't mean it's not fun.

LightDragonman
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:02 am

Seriously, maybe this is just Anno trolling us all, and the result just turns out to be really simplistic. We could very well be overthinking this. -o-;
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:10 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:We could very well be overthinking this. -o-;

Which is, of course, half the fun.

Sgt. Griff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Sgt. Griff » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:51 am

3+1=4

There are 4 sides in a square; a square is a shape; circles are also shapes; circles are loops.

Fruit loops; Fruit loops are sweet; but they're also bad for you; death is also bad for you; death can be caused by eating too much food; bread is food; bread comes from grain; grain comes from the ground; the ground is made of dirt; dirt promotes life, but is also composed of death; death promotes rebirth in the way of samsara; samsara is a loop.

Loop theory confirmed.

ITT

Edit; also Evangelion is written EvanGeLion

Ge Lion

Lion

Lions (lionesses rly) kill for food, lions have manes, red manes, red manes of red hair, Asuka has red hair.

Asuka will kill Shinji and eat him. Or Asuka will be killed and eaten.

By Harpies???????////??/?//11!1!

Harpies confirmed for Evangelion FruitLoops.FruitloopsFruitloops.

But yeah, I'm also glad everybody's gettin this hype for final, after half the animu world decided to take a steaming critical shit on Q. Gon' be pretty good.
Leave Shinji alone

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:24 am

I step out of the loop for a few weeks and I come back to this. Goddammit people.

The way I see it, this 3.0+1.0 stuff is either a massive wrench in the Eva works, or it's nothing, just a flourish in 4.0/FINAL that Anno decided to throw in.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:15 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:If it wasn't meant to imply something then why not just "FINAL", "4.0" or anything else people would expect?

That's not what I mean when I say it's "just a teaser". What I mean is that I see no indication he is intentionally provoking sequel/loop theory speculation with the intent of later doing nothing of the sort, just to make people mad. (That's what trolling is, right? Pissing people off on purpose?) For one thing, that would require a level of awareness I just don't think he has of fan theories.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Monk Ed: I do agree that a lot of the speculating will (probably) be for nothing in the end, but it doesn't mean it's not fun.

I said as much upthread myself.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”