Lamp Festival with Anno drawings

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:39 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:3.0+1.0 could help Shinji return to not being alone, as was stated in 1.0’s parenthetically true title. He could either be doing this as a result of physically resetting everything, as 3.0’s false parenthetical interpretation suggests, or it could be that everyone else forgives him, allowing him to start his life over again a new man. This would be a more emotional sense of the false parenthetical interpretation of 3.0’s title, rather than an explicit physical one. I like that latter reading better, since Shinji was already denied a physical reset in Q. After that one option wasn’t available in Q (and probably won’t every be available), it would seem more fulfilling to have Shinji explore a way of “redoing” his relationship with his friends through forgiveness and trust, rather than through wishing “Wait! Let’s go back!”

This would also, for the first time in the series, render 2.0’s parenthetical to be false. Let’s think about it, all three titles should have the opportunity to be considered reconsidered throughout the series. Shinji could not actually advance in 2.0. We see that now. Things only got worse. 3.0 offers an alternate question. Instead of advancing, can you redo? At first it seems as though he can actually redo, but then that opportunity is taken away from him. The “(Not) Redo” title, at least on a physical level, has already been considered false at the beginning (he could probably redo), and then reconsidered to be true by the end of the same movie (he couldn’t redo). The “(Not) Alone” title was considered in the first two movies to be true, then reconsidered in the third movie to be false. The “(Not) Advance” title has been considered in the second film and at the beginning of the third film as true (he could not actually advance), but hasn’t really had an opportunity to be reconsidered in a subsequent film to be false yet. We’ve yet to see Shinji actually advance in this film series.

At the end of FINAL, I wonder if Shinji will be faced with the decision of either having to advance, or having to redo. To redo is to run away from advancing, something that Shinji supposedly mustn’t do. (“I mustn't run away!”) If order to do that, he must first learn how too not be alone again by asking for forgiveness from his friends. By doing so he is “Redoing” his friendship plus becoming “not alone.” (Hence the 3.0+1.0 numbering in the title.)

I'm gonna bet for this, IMO it's the most pausable theory. If Anno choses to copy Rahxephon, to be the copy of a "copy" of his own work, to follow a path so overused, I would be disappointed, I couldn't see him the same way. Sadamoto's manga was enough example of lack of writing skills and imagination.

Sorry If I sound harsh, but It's a kind of ending I despise no matter the franchise or the media (comic book, manga, anime, literature, movie). For me, It's synomymus of cowardice, an easy choice for the characters that makes pointless whatever the have endured. The writer shows us he doesn`t know how to give the story a proper ending, neither good or bad. A reset means that the characters you have watched, read about....have disappeared, allog all they have learned, experienced or endured. Amnesia and start again, as a new person. Even being a happy ending, the ones enjoying it are not the same characters.

As I've said my opinion is not only about EVA, I just hate that kind of cliche ending. My steem for Anoo is too high to think he'll follow that path. Of course, EVA is his child, and he has the right to do, but that doesn't mean I must like it. I cannot link the "face reality message" of EVA with the reset, because life has no reset button. You must advance even it means pain, and you can only grow up if you deal with the things you did in the past. Erasing your memory and resetting the world it's just being a coward, a selfish coward......oh wait :lol:

My money goes to FreakyFilmFan4ever, but I think this title it's just Anno trolling again. Do you think they are really gonna release a film under such title??? :lol: Imagine the scene

SHOP

- Hello, I wanna buy EVangelion 3.33 + 1.11
- Both movies or the final one???
:lol: :lol:
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:40 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:So, anyone want to speculate on what that "etc." could mean?

Literally, it's "and so forth", usually used when somebody can assume the succeeding content based on that expression. So, if we were to take that at face value, it would mean that this Eva installment will be the last one, but that the story isn't over for them (or something like that.)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:40 pm

No no, I know what "etc." mean, don't worry! :lol:

What I wanted to say is what it could mean in the context of the upcoming movie? Well you answered to that in the second part of your post, and I find it a little contradictory: I agree that the story won't be over, but personally I interpret it as that 3+1 won't be the last we get of the Rebuild, maybe we'll get another movie, or a spin-off on another format (manga, TV Series (yesyesyes!) or even audio drama), unless by "the story continues" we take it as that the characters continue to live their lives even thought we can't see them anymore.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:48 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:unless by "the story continues" we take it as that the characters continue to live their lives even thought we can't see them anymore.

Ja. I think Jorno said something like that a while back, and it's possible that Anno wants to drive that point home.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:14 am

View Original PostJäeger wrote:I'm gonna bet for this, IMO it's the most pausable theory. If Anno choses to copy Rahxephon, to be the copy of a "copy" of his own work, to follow a path so overused, I would be disappointed, I couldn't see him the same way. Sadamoto's manga was enough example of lack of writing skills and imagination.

Sorry If I sound harsh, but It's a kind of ending I despise no matter the franchise or the media (comic book, manga, anime, literature, movie). For me, It's synomymus of cowardice, an easy choice for the characters that makes pointless whatever the have endured. The writer shows us he doesn`t know how to give the story a proper ending, neither good or bad. A reset means that the characters you have watched, read about....have disappeared, allog all they have learned, experienced or endured. Amnesia and start again, as a new person. Even being a happy ending, the ones enjoying it are not the same characters.

As I've said my opinion is not only about EVA, I just hate that kind of cliche ending. My steem for Anoo is too high to think he'll follow that path. Of course, EVA is his child, and he has the right to do, but that doesn't mean I must like it. I cannot link the "face reality message" of EVA with the reset, because life has no reset button. You must advance even it means pain, and you can only grow up if you deal with the things you did in the past. Erasing your memory and resetting the world it's just being a coward, a selfish coward......oh wait :lol:

My money goes to FreakyFilmFan4ever, but I think this title it's just Anno trolling again. Do you think they are really gonna release a film under such title??? :lol: Imagine the scene

SHOP

- Hello, I wanna buy EVangelion 3.33 + 1.11
- Both movies or the final one???
:lol: :lol:

Buy both 1.11 and 3.33
merge the whole shit and you'll see Final before us

Heaven Piercing Man
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Heaven Piercing Man » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:40 pm

I'm expecting Anno to break the pattern and call the BD release 3.0+1.0', alpha or something like that.
Evangelion, in three words: How Strangely Erotic

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I'd like to see an extended directors cut of Q. . . I hope that's the case.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:50 pm

There's nothing to extend. The movie does what it set out to do just fine.

Again, whatever changes they thought were necessary were implemented between theatrical and BD release.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Nezuh-kun
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nezuh-kun » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:29 pm

1)Evangelion 3.0+1.0 = You Are (Not) Alone + You Can (Not) Redo = You are not alone, You can not redo.
2)Evangelion 3.0+1.0 = You Are [s](Not)[/s] Alone + You Can [s](Not)[/s] Redo = You are alone, You can redo.

I think that Shinji will have the opportunity to choose between these two options.

And honestly, 2 sounds like a lonely god who can redo things at will.
Is not very odd,
EoE ending spoiler  SPOILER: Show
Unit 01 became a god in EoE.
English is not my native language, sorry for any mistake

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:18 am

Now I've got the end of Mirai Nikki in mind...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 am

Multiple characters in multiple timelines? In Evangelion? Eva's confusing enough as it is. Adding that Future Diary clusterfuck into it would be insane. :lol:
Future Diary ending  SPOILER: Show
Although, that scene where Murmur locked Yuki inside that weird globe thing reminded me a lot of Shinji's personal room in ep. 26.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Q

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:40 am

I think it'd be fun if it's shown that Anno just took all the peggy sue ideas and meshed them together, Kaworu is stuck in a time loop, Shinji is possessed by a braver Shinji, Mari is a time traveler, Asuka now has memories of the of the previous timeline, Quantum Rei is a reality jumper, and Gendo knows everything because he's Better Luck Next Time Gendo.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:41 am

It would be fun to see our theories realized, but I don't think we have any way of knowing if our fan dreams are what is truly in the best interest of the show.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

Re: Q

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:56 am

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:I think it'd be fun if it's shown that Anno just took all the peggy sue ideas and meshed them together, Kaworu is stuck in a time loop, Shinji is possessed by a braver Shinji, Mari is a time traveler, Asuka now has memories of the of the previous timeline, Quantum Rei is a reality jumper, and Gendo knows everything because he's Better Luck Next Time Gendo.

AT this time, there are no clues that NTE it's linked with NGE. Alternative universe/reality/as you wanna call it? There is a time loop in this universe?Maybe, but since the beginning has been stated that this is a different work.It's independent from NGE. Callbacks are not "hidden hints". And, IMO, NTE is more enjoyable as how it is : a retelling.

And no, NTE'S 2I is not EoE 3I and everybody has amnesia. It happened.

Maybe after FINAL I have to shut up, but at this moment it's how it is.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:19 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Multiple characters in multiple timelines?

Nah - "You are alone" - 10,000 years alone (well, Murmur doesn't really count, does she) as a God, with the possibility of "You can re-do", but not what he actually wanted...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:21 am

Although, didn't the OVA end with him getting what he wanted? I'm not sure if you and I are thinking on the same wavelength here.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:24 am

Well, yes, in the OVA (and manga) one of the Yunos (can't remember which!) breaks into his universe. That's the sequel, if you like - I was thinking of his 10,000 years in an empty uiniverse as the ending.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:28 am

Ah, gotcha. Your earlier line of thinking makes much more sense now. ^_^

but how cool would it be to see multiple characters from multiple timelines beating the shit out of one another

Nezuh-kun
Embryo

Re: Q

•      
  •      

Postby Nezuh-kun » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:10 pm

View Original PostJäeger wrote:AT this time, there are no clues that NTE it's linked with NG].
English is not my native language, sorry for any mistake

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:15 pm

^
People have just been calling those callbacks, got to wait till Final to see if they are memories.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”