the Newsroom

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

the Newsroom

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:19 am

Anybody else watch this? I'm starting to wonder why I do, honestly.

I'm especially troubled by the fictional "Genoa" plotline which by appearing alongside all the REAL news the show covers feels like an experimental attempt to actively reinvent the past in the minds of viewers who, let's face it, don't much watch the actual news anymore.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:41 am

I do, mostly for the witty dialogues and humor, the dramatic bits feel overplayed.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: the Newsroom

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:24 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Anybody else watch this? I'm starting to wonder why I do, honestly.

I'm especially troubled by the fictional "Genoa" plotline which by appearing alongside all the REAL news the show covers feels like an experimental attempt to actively reinvent the past in the minds of viewers who, let's face it, don't much watch the actual news anymore.

Me and my wife watch it. It's mainly because every now and again it gets pretty good, but a lot of it has to do with the fact that it was originally recommended to us by a good friend who happens to be extremely right field conservative that makes Fox News look like NPR and we constantly wonder how he can possibly sit through an episode. No clue what the Genoa plotline is all about, so far it seems like it's just a vehicle to escalate the higher ups vs the News 2.0 thing.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:03 pm

Yeah, Will McEvoy, the pot smoking, anti-teaparty, pro gay rights republican... totally not a token 'conservative'. I mean I actually agree with all of that, but I don't call myself a Republican. The fact that 'Captain Truth' here is also a tremendous hypocrite doesn't help, considering his resurgence was all based on staging that big speech in the pilot episode and he only seems to hit on women after establishing he doesn't respect anything they stand for. Nice touch.

...yeah, I seriously question why I watch this.

Like I said, the Genoa thing bothers me because even though the show is obviously fiction all of the news stories it builds around are based in reality, save this one. Mixing fake news in as a major plotline seems to undermine the entire 'news 2.0' idea metatexturaly.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:11 pm

Took a look into the first episode via HBO OnDemand, and yeah, it's actually a very good HBO original. It's from the creator of "The West Wing" (which I don't often watch). Then stumbled upon some of Season 2 episodes (partials) and again, it's still good.
Very good casting, by the way.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:54 am

The news story that never actually happened turning out to be a setup on the cast actually solves quite a bit of my problems with it.

Not everything... it still bugs me that the only republican in the show doesn't act even remotely conservative and spends most of his time criticizing his own party, but I didn't really expect a very balanced political view from the show to begin with.

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:23 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:it still bugs me that the only republican in the show doesn't act even remotely conservative and spends most of his time criticizing his own party, but I didn't really expect a very balanced political view from the show to begin with.

I thought that was kind of the point? That not all republicans, or democrats for that matter, should be funneling themselves into a generic type.

As far as the show is concerned, my biggest problem is with all the characters. All the men seem to be these fast-talking sarcastic caricatures walking the thin line between arrogant and charming; and all the women are these fast-talking sarcastic caricatures walking the thin line between neurotic and adorable.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:34 pm

View Original PostDanAwful wrote:All the men seem to be these fast-talking sarcastic caricatures walking the thin line between arrogant and charming

So kind of like Aaron Sorkin himself then.

DanAwful
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby DanAwful » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:35 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:So kind of like Aaron Sorkin himself then.

I wouldn't know. Never met the man. :tongue:

Return to “Film and Video”