[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

Yeah. You read right. This is for everything that doesn't have anything to do with Eva.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

[Music] The Grand Music Discussion Thread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Rebooting

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:
View Original PostBlue Monday wrote:So In Utero is getting repressed in September as something of a 20th anniversary commemoration.

Not to mention that there will apparently be 70 bonus tracks on the super deluxe edition...

That was my favorite album back in middle school and it still holds up to this day, so I'm hoping to check it out.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Sat Aug 03, 2013 3:49 pm

Guess I'll be the first to christen the new thread ^_^

So Excited :jiggy:

Placebo has a new album coming out this year, Loud Like Love. I hadn't heard anything thing from them in a while so I was afraid they'd completely broken up. I've seen some complaints because their style has changed a bit, but I still get the same feel so I'm content. I won't judge till the full album comes out.

New Single

Too many friends

Some favorites

Battle for the Sun

Running up that hill (Kate Bush Cover)

The Bitter End
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:46 pm

Yup, Penderecki is still scary as shit.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:50 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:Yup, Penderecki is still [s]scary[/s]awesome as shit.

it's probably not the best idea to listen to Threnody To the Victims of Hiroshima right before bedtime.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:36 pm

I'm seriously starting to like Revolution #9 :|

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:31 pm

@In Utero re-release
[s]Just as planned[/s] I'll wait to see the track listing before I say maybe or no to this, though as I already have the boxed set I anticipate that a fair few tracks on the re-release will have been lifted from there. Still a great album, of course, just not sure if I want another copy of it so soon

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm seriously starting to like Revolution #9 :|

NUMBER NINE
NUMBER NINE
NUMBER NINE
Voluntary Illusion.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Now you're ready for HAADO MODO

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:03 am

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:So Excited :jiggy:

Placebo has a new album coming out this year, Loud Like Love. I hadn't heard anything thing from them in a while so I was afraid they'd completely broken up. I've seen some complaints because their style has changed a bit, but I still get the same feel so I'm content. I won't judge till the full album comes out.
Sweet! I also wasn't sure they were still making new music, so this is seriously good news. :peace:
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:27 am

Okay so something interesting about In Utero vinyl that I was actually formerly unaware of; the two OG pressings (US and UK) are supposedly both cut from a different set of master tapes with a significantly (un)altered mix of the album - The big differences being with the "radio-friendlies" 'Heart-Shaped Box', 'All Apologies', etcetera.

It's never been confirmed but these versions are widely accepted as the "Albini mix" of the album.

Makes a lot of sense if you read up on how the label went about the release too:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Utero_(album)#Release_and_reception

There's a seller over on DF who has this version listed on his Discogs for sale as well, so I might just nab it off of him as opposed to bothering with this exorbitantly priced re-release in September. And will also go better alongside my original copies of Bleach and Nevermind on the shelf.

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Still a great album, of course, just not sure if I want another copy of it so soon.

You got the right of it. I can't even comprehend how they'd get 70 tracks worth of extra content, original/alternate mixes considered. Maybe there's even more (read: shit ton) unreleased music than commonly thought, and With The Lights Out was only the tip of the iceberg.

Like you said, will have to scope the track listing to see if this warrants a purchase for anyone who already owns the album regardless of format; CeeDee, digitale, bynilz.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:00 pm

The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:06 pm

^ To answer your question, everyone who was born before 1980.

Madonna
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Madonna » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:51 am

I adore this picture

I like how the two genuine stars (David Bowie and Madonna) are the only ones that don't look like utter trainwrecks.

Also I'd basically cream myself if they ever collaborated, as huge fans of both since I was a kid it always perplexed me as to why they didn't, Madonna is basically the female version of Bowie in multiple ways.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Billy Idol doesn't look any more of a trainwreck as Madonna or Bowie. Sam Kinison, on the other hand, made a living being a trainwreck.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:18 pm

Doof doof untz untz

I don't know whether I love this song or hate its guts.

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:42 pm

http://pitchfork.com/advance/174-fever-hunting/

"The fever hunt rages on.
The fever hunt rages on.
The fever hunt rages on; inside my head!"

SPOILER: Show

Fuarrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkkkkkkkk!
Pre-ordered. Got the limited colourway too which sold out in a matter of minutes.
Stoked.
Warren Peace, #643919

Melchior
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Melchior » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original PostOrnette wrote:Billy Idol doesn't look any more of a trainwreck as Madonna or Bowie. Sam Kinison, on the other hand, made a living being a trainwreck.

This ^

Drugs are one hell of a ride, or so I've heard.
Sam was hilarious though... sucks. :uhh:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:47 pm

Top-left - bought on day of release ^_^ (as was Let it Be, which you can't see, but top-right is the photo book that came in the package):
The interesting thing, though, is that Paul actually had more interest in avant-guarde music than John, even though he appeared less experimental.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nostalgia
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nostalgia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 am

Not sure if you guys are into Animal Collective (one of my favorite bands personally), but their new video for "Monkey Riches" just came out two days ago.
Also, about that In Utero reissue: I'm stoked for the original Albini mix! Haven't heard much of his work, but for the most part I love it, especially Surfer Rosa and his work with Big Black. It'd be interesting to hear that more abrasive side of Nirvana that was only hinted at with the remixing job done in In Utero.
NEO-TOKYO IS ABOUT TO E.X.P.L.O.D.E

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:11 am

I've given Fever Hunting another two complete listens since getting the DL with the pre-order and I'm liking it more and more. The production values are just insane, incredibly dynamic yet crisp. Blasting it full bull on the drive home from work this afternoon, you really need it loud to pick up heaps of the little details and nuances in the riffs; stuff that just make it so special - You can tell the guys have poured their whole selves into the recording and presentation.

I'd could talk about it more, but some gentleman/scholar has already worded it beautifully:
http://halifaxcollect.blogspot.com.au/2013/08/modern-life-is-war-fever-hunting.html

Fans of contemporary hardcore/punk need to check this out. Don't sleep.

Also, been spinning Hail to the Thief (AKA The Gloaming) a lot this past week.
Somewhere in my mind thoughts are forming at length. Slowly, but surely.
Warren Peace, #643919

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:15 pm

Just discovered this group called M83 this week. They're a French electronic/alternative band. I heard one of their songs on a show and decided to youtube them. They've got some really cool videos. The song I got was from their 2011 album Hurry Up, We're Dreaming. They did about four or five videos based around these kids with telekinetic powers. Kind of like mini movies. The premise reminded me of Akira. Definitely wanted to share.

Here are a few songs. All the videos are linked, but you have to watch them in the right sequence. These first two are correct. I think that third one is the last. They're pretty cool. ^_^

Midnight City
Reunion
Wait
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

Return to “Completely and Utterly Off-Topic”