The Big Bang Theory, am I right guys?

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

MassiveInvader
Adam

The Big Bang Theory, am I right guys?

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:42 pm

I definitely agree with uncle Yo's post Well..... You know the drill. Do you like the show? Why or why not? I feel like its a bit overrated but it is enjoyable to watch when I have nothing else to do, but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it.
Last edited by MassiveInvader on Wed Jul 31, 2013 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I will respect your opinion if you respect mine.

arkiel
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby arkiel » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:22 am

There is one episode where Sheldon and two other characters covet a replica of The One Ring. For most of the episode, Sheldon is wearing a shirt with the Green Lantern symbol on it, symbolizing his willpower. When he predictably succumbs to the influence of the replica One Ring, he has a dream sequence wherein his shirt is now the symbol of the Orange Lantern, which embodies covetousness.

I've been told that this is the single most topical (it came out shortly after the Orange Lanterns were introduced) and intelligent thing this show has ever done.

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:36 am

View Original Postarkiel wrote:There is one episode where Sheldon and two other characters covet a replica of The One Ring. For most of the episode, Sheldon is wearing a shirt with the Green Lantern symbol on it, symbolizing his willpower. When he predictably succumbs to the influence of the replica One Ring, he has a dream sequence wherein his shirt is now the symbol of the Orange Lantern, which embodies covetousness.

I've been told that this is the single most topical (it came out shortly after the Orange Lanterns were introduced) and intelligent thing this show has ever done.
that doesent suprises me.

CatGirl
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby CatGirl » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am

I know a lot of people don't like the show because they disagree with the way nerds are portrayed, but I love it haha. I'm really obsessed with Sheldon to the point where one of my friends got me a little figure of him >_> I just find the show really funny, even though it's pretty much the same exact thing every episode lol
find a new way to survive
create a passage
for a world illuminant,
transforming our history

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:42 am

This show pisses me off to no end.

In part because people constantly call me Sheldon, and in part because it's just a lame show. It mostly centres around average people making fun of smart people or smart people doing it to themselves. I have more intelligent comedy to watch.

...like K-ON.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:47 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:This show pisses me off to no end.

In part because people constantly call me Sheldon, and in part because it's just a lame show. It mostly centres around average people making fun of smart people or smart people doing it to themselves. I have more intelligent comedy to watch.

...like K-ON.
Yeah the show is basicly any other sit com, but it just happens to have nerds. I wish they would potrey different kinds of nerds instead of them all being nerd that like just about everything( anime, star trek, etc, but mostly comic books). Like one person would specialize in comic books, one would be a game, one would be a otaku, etc.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:07 pm

View Original PostMassiveInvader wrote:Like one person would specialize in comic books, one would be a game, one would be a otaku, etc.

That would be nice. I wish they would portray people more accurately, though. Sheldon has less social dexterity than a block of swiss cheese.

Whatever, TV is shitty to everyone.

tomrule123
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby tomrule123 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:15 pm

I wouldn't call it, like many others would, the best comedy out there, but it's certainly a very entertaining one. Characters are definitely likable and the writing can be at times very well done. ... also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u85u2ymDl8M
Last edited by tomrule123 on Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MassiveInvader
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby MassiveInvader » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:17 pm

View Original PostCatamari wrote:That would be nice. I wish they would portray people more accurately, though. Sheldon has less social dexterity than a block of swiss cheese.

Whatever, TV is shitty to everyone.
there starting to make him more sociable. Why?....................um.................. I guess because they ran out of Ideas. They also made a college basketball commercial with Sheldon in it. Why?...................um............ I guess because they ran out of ideas.

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Catamari » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:39 pm

Clearly they don't want to slaughter their milchkuh, quite yet.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 am

Every time I see it, I die a little inside.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:01 pm

I actually heard that Sheldon offended this autistic adult group for a negative portrayal of them.

As for the show, obviously how they portray nerd culture is really, really poor and not very authentic. I was disappointed to hear Sheldon pronounce manga as "main-guh" and listen to him talk about how his mom packed his Nintendo 64 memory card. I mean, they pretty much treat nerd culture like it's something to laugh at rather than dissecting the aspects of it and making it seem like something that's kinda cool, even if it's a mainstream comedy show. BECAUSE NERDS ARE HILARIOUS AND THIS IS EXACTLY HOW THEY ACT

So yeah, de-normalising nerds=not cool

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:57 pm

The Big Bang Theory is a thoroughly unfunny show about nerds for non-nerds. The word "banal" comes to mind.

View Original PostCatamari wrote:In part because people constantly call me Sheldon

I can partially sympathize, a girl I used to work with told me that I reminded her of the show, in part because I can be referential at times. This prompted me to look into the show. I am still very disappoint. I think I managed to watch two episodes in one sitting.

Bomby von Bombsville
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Bomby von Bombsville » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:45 pm

The Big Bang Theory without a laugh track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

Also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS3MGriZcs
The Skirt-Chasing Mafioso of EGF
"we have Bomby, voted by People magazine as the sexiest man alive." - TehDonutKing
If you let me, here's what I'll do: I'll take care of you.

soul.assassin
Geezer of All Trades
Geezer of All Trades

•      
  •      

Postby soul.assassin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:02 am

Never watched US TV these days...

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:11 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:The Big Bang Theory without a laugh track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

Also

To be fair, almost all shows that have a laugh track are noticeably less interesting without it, from the "Golden Girls" to "Scooby Doo, Where are you?".

To be blunt, the show doesn't seem to be very good, admittedly only having seen a handful of episodes. But I think in some ways that's what sitcoms come down to. Lots of mediocre writing, same jokes dressed differently, but it can pull an audience as long as they're familiar with the cast. I'm sure someone 10 years after the broadcast of an episode of, say, Cheers, would find it pretty terrible if that was their first time watching it. But if you watched it every week, even if only because you had nothing better to do, it passed the time ok and every once in a while even managed to get a laugh. Eventhough Cheers was actually filmed in front of an audience, and the laughter wasn't canned, it's still sort of the same thing. Unless you're familiar with the cast, almost none of the jokes are going to be funny at all.

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:09 am

View Original PostBomby von Bombsville wrote:The Big Bang Theory without a laugh track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA

Also

OH GOD

THE SHOW IS SO DEPRESSING WITHOUT IT :DDDDDDDD

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:20 am

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:The Big Bang Theory is a thoroughly unfunny show about nerds for non-nerds. The word "banal" comes to mind.

This. It used to be kinda funny/interesting at first (although not thanks to the nerd aspect) but overall it's utterly mediocre show.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

The Killer of Heroes
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby The Killer of Heroes » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm

View Original Postr1cepurin wrote:Nintendo 64 memory card

But N64's did have memory cards, and they plugged into the back of the controller. Image

r1cepurin
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby r1cepurin » Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:56 pm

View Original PostThe Killer of Heroes wrote:But N64's did have memory cards, and they plugged into the back of the controller.

But in the episode he was saying it like the N64 had a memory card similar to
something like the PS2

I mean even then it's still a fucktarded show

Return to “Film and Video”