You Can (Never) Trust [Spoilers]

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Stillborn
Banned

You Can (Never) Trust [Spoilers]

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:43 am

Split from HERE. -NemZ

Yep it's an awesome story and that Unit 02 scene was awesome

On another note, I also love Samsons design. He is a Gary Stu parody, but is so well written. He is like seed of chaos that disrupts the whole balance just by his presence. And yet he still have weakness. He felt terror when Unit 02 got pissed and it turn this drives him furious. Also I can't help but feel sorry for him in similiar way I feel for Rei. He is still a slave to his makers/handlers and to his conditioning/brainwashing.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:48 pm

As a huge fan of Gob's Ten Years series, I'm embarrassed to say that I still have yet to give You Can (Never) Trust the careful read through that it so richly deserves. To think it's already crept up to 33 chapters as of now . . . must find time soon!
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Speaking of You Can (Never) Trust, last chapter, Asuka and Rei seems to have reached an agreement on trying to keep Shinji out of Samson's grasp, while the later took another opportunity to "form" Shinji...

Well having a Shinji more confident in his body sure is a nice way to get him into his palm, but I have the hunch that it will later come back to blow up in his face : he wants to train him good, but if in the end Shinji doesn't join him, but opposes him, that will be a lot of troubles, especially if they are in their Evas, a berserk, trained and motivated Shinji with an equally berserk Yui-sama must be the most terrifying sight ever.

Samson could ever made the exploit to bring a level of curbstomping on him equal to what Shinji did to Zeruel in Rebuild 2.0 despite being in another continuity! :devil:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:30 am

On a side note, "gain your power from anger" as Samson preaches, sounds very similiar to Palpatine and Sith's training :devil: I also personally like that way :devil:
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:21 pm

Really crazy twist lately, turns out that the changes in the story made Asuka prisoner of Leliel, and Samson is all smug about Asuka disappearing, maybe for good, leaving him with the path clear to "form" Shinji who will be full of anger and frustration after his failed attempt to protect her...

Samson, you're an asshole.
Samson, you need to have karma slap you back in the face.
Samson, meet Zeruel, now tend your cheek! :devil:

Shinji was so enraged that I was almost expecting him to break continuity and pseudo-Evolves EVA-01 on the spot to vent his frustration on Big Z, instead of that he managed to put a very good fight and badly wound him, but in the end the order of things was restored and it's Yui-sama who finished him and looted a nice S2 Engine, at least this time she had the delicacy to eject her son before... if only the jet weren't empty of fuel...

As for Asuka, looks like her "session" with Leliel is turning into a mindrape bis... except that the fact Leliel is talking to her and the fact she's in a good enough metal shape to analyze her behavior(such has how really pathetic and childish she looked when she tried to seduce Kaji into his bed after her escapade) could bring her to an epiphany about her past behavior and be benefical for her in the long term.
And with some chance she will meet Mama and discover that she was with her all this time!

Now this day promise to be the "Special Evangelion Horror and Gore day for NERV" : not only they witnessed EVA-01 action without a pilot and devouring an Angel to become super powerful, but very soon they will also see a berserk EVA-02 burst out of Leliel in a rain of blood.

The Command Center will shit their pants!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

gorgeousshutin
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby gorgeousshutin » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:15 pm

(Have since gotten caught up to Chapter 36. Am now posting a more organized version of my praise post.)

Being an AU, one where NERV HQ’s setting starts out identical to what’s in the TV series prior to the Americans-induced deviations, the nature of YC(N)T is that of a “rebuild”.

And, being that it is a rebuild, I cannot help but compare this work to the three existing Rebuild of Evangelion movies.

1) OC Comparison: Samson vs Mari. No doubt different people will like one character more and the other less based on personal taste & preference (intelligently psychotic muscle boy vs mock-cynical busty girl who cat meows). However, it is noteworthy how Samson, unlike Mari, actually serves plot purpose – his presence in YC(N)T directly compels the orginal NGE cast into making changed decisions that deviate YC(N)T’s plot from NGE. Plus, Samson’s actions and behavior are given clearly explained logical basis, something I cannot say for Mari.
2) Eva Characters Comparison: The Eva Characters in YC(N)T are based off what’s in the NGE TV canon, while those in Rebuild are revealed to be not. That said, the Eva Chars in YC(N)T are well-presented in that the readers are privy to their intricate thought processes, which makes theim easy to resonate with. The plot changes brought on by Samson and other OCs also effectively put the Eva Chars in situations where dramatic/emotional scenes are all backed by reasonable-seeming motives. That’s a big win for the fic there.
3) Plot Comparison: YC(N)T’s plot, much like Rebuild’s, is a deviation from that of NGE. While it’s different strokes for different folks, YC(N)T employs far less unexplained elements throughout - and what’s still left unexplained at 36 chapters and ongoing do serve to enrich the suspenseful atmosphere of the story. YC(N)T is like a good, straight-to-the-point joke that can immediately get a reaction out of people, while Rebuild is one in dire need of explaining - with its teller not bothering to do so. Naturally, I’m more a fan of the former.

In other words:

YC(N)T, as of chapter 36, pwns Rebuild 1-3’s script by my standards and totally deserves animation. At the very least, this work deserves voiced, animated trailers ala Neon Genesis Evangelion R. Now, if someone can put in the effort to make this happen . . .
The Gorgeous Shut-in
Current fics:
(SKU/MPD) Seinen Kakumei Utena (Completed as of May 12, 2018)
(PSOH/SKU) Revolutionary Human Leon (Updated to Part 4 as of Nov, 2017)
(NGE) The End of Hedgehog_s Dilemma (Updated to Part II Chapter 6 as of May 17, 2016)
(Banana Fish)Medusa (Updated to Chapter 3 as of Mar 01, 2016)
http://archiveofourown.org/users/gorgeousshutin/works
or
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/3978886/

Muphrid
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Muphrid » Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:11 pm

This is an interesting piece.

I feel Gob had struck a good balance in rehashing events only when necessary (or when there has been sufficient divergence). This is one of the big pitfalls that people can fall into, and for the large part, the issue is handled well.

Chapters are short. Sometimes the breaks are a little disorienting, but being familiar with the overall structure of canon means that not much more structure is required.

Even 30+ chapters in, the overall goal of the Group is still a mystery. For all intents and purposes, then, it means that the appeal of the story cannot rely on what that goal is, but merely what changes thanks to the Group's involvement. I think this is a slight weakness, for it makes it more difficult to attach thematic significance to what they're doing. In short, readers must be paying attention specifically (and indeed, only) for the deviations from canon that have resulted. What's changed is what matters. Is the cast better off or worse, and in what ways? To be honest, I'm a little disappointed that that is the full depth of things.

That's not to say the story is bad by any stretch of the imagination. Far from it, the depth with which the American plot is constructed, the character of Samson and the background of the Grendel program is a strength of the piece. But without a solid thematic scaffolding, I worry that all of that good work will be merely regarded as interesting, and then forgotten.

In terms of characterization, I feel the piece has improved over time. For about the first half of the story, characterization is very reactive; indeed, I feel that's a common problem in some circles. Basically, characters develop and respond to what's happening around them, but many of them are lacking in proactive drive. This makes the first half or so feel like "stuff happens, things change". Things start getting better around the time Shinji, Asuka, and Rei come to an understanding and decide to stick together. Another strong point is Rei's curiosity toward Grendel.

Samson's characterization is as odd as he is himself. He has much less presence in the early parts of the story than I expected. Again, it's not until later that he starts asserting himself more and actively works to influence Shinji in a palpable way. I find his background interesting, but until that point, he felt like almost an empty slate through which the Group's conspiracy could be enacted.

Stylistically, the story is solid. There is a good balance of narration and exposition contrasted against dialogue. That said, there are some inconsistencies in address that creep in. Shinji begins referring to Rei as Rei almost immediately. Rei calls him Third inexplicably at one point. Gendo calls Fuyutsuki Kozo, which he should never do except under extraordinary circumstances. This is the one sloppy aspect of command that mars an otherwise solid technical performance.

Regarding theme, I mentioned earlier that I felt the thematic content of the story might be lacking. Perhaps this is the wrong way to say that it's too similar to vanilla canon. Characters deal with issues; the process of being a pilot breaks them down. Samson's arrival hasn't really changed that dynamic; it's just made things play out differently. In this sense, I have this nagging suspicion that either I'm not getting something, or nothing really new is actually being said. And if it is indeed the latter, that's a shame. All the other stuff is there (technical ability, interesting plot and background, etc.) to do so.

At any rate, it is my hope that these comments are not unwelcome. My best wishes to Gob in the continued development of this story.

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:19 pm

Gob's up to Ch.41 now, and I hope he doesn't take this personally, but I kinda sighed when I see Asuka reverting back to being (for want of a better word) a bitch. :sniffle:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Oct 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I keep mentioning it every chapter, but I also wanted to post here that Gemini011 (who just joined the forums...) has been beta-reading the chapters. He's been a massive help, and I can't find enough outlets to sing his praises.

Also, we have jointly invented and patented the idea of the Kevlar, tactical cummerbund. Perfect for all nightly social gatherings and/or Third World-conflict zones you may or may not happen to find yourself in.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:51 pm

After that latest chapter, I'd rather get stuck in a room with Michelle Bachmann than endure that twat Samson.

Gob, you've really created a special OC here. 99% of the time, the OC eventually pairs up with either Rei or Asuka. I see you've really flipped that on its head. :asuka_thumbsup:

Oh...the irony of me using that emoticon.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:58 pm

Thank you kindly, driftking18594! I shall join you in irony!

:asuka_happy:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

driftking18594
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby driftking18594 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:04 pm

So, that latest chapter...
SPOILER: Show
Am I an asshole for hoping that Samson gets fucked up by Arael?

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:26 pm

I appreciate Cooper. He have a world of his own... :lol:
Another jaded man.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:06 pm

View Original Postdriftking18594 wrote:So, that latest chapter...
SPOILER: Show
Am I an asshole for hoping that Samson gets fucked up by Arael?

No, not at all, we're all hoping for that! :devil:

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:57 pm

I said this to xanderkh earlier, but I think it's absolutely awesome how much everyone absolutely hates Samson.

He really does deserve the loathing, doesn't he?

We'll just have to see if the next chapter satisfies, then....

:smokin:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:17 pm

I like him.

For the very reason he acts like Satan and tries to corrupt Shinji. :tongue:
Another jaded man.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:18 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:I like him.

For the very reason he acts like Satan and tries to corrupt Shinji. :tongue:

Why you gotta be like that Stillborn? Shinji has suffered enough. :irked:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:30 pm

Why you think corruption is suffering? Hate and rage can give so much power... This warm feeling inside... :devil:
Another jaded man.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:32 pm

But hate leads to anger...anger...leads to suffering....

....and suffering....leads to profit.

:money:
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:46 pm

Anger leads to suffering only if it's powerless. :tongue:
Another jaded man.

Return to “Fanfiction”