Is the Vita worth getting now?

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

Is the Vita worth getting now?

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:13 pm

This is an old question that is hard to answer. As it stands now, the Vita has much less developer support and games compared to the 3DS. Yet the biggest risk about buying it, is the price point. If I want to buy the system, 32Gb memory card and one game, Ill end up spending 250+100+40=390$+tax. That's more expensive than a home console. Of course I can cut the cost by 80$ if I get the 4Gb card, but I rather not have separate cards for my games/music/pics and constantly swap them out. But my biggest concern is the possible price cut. I would hate to buy the system only to find out that it received price drop 2 months later. Do you guys think that we will get that discount in Q4 of 2013?

I understand that the Vita has really good hardware: good OS, slick exterior design and a very good screen---so it's not a bad system by all means, its just pricy. And then there are the games. As it stands now, I would only get P4G, Gravity Rush, Disgaea 3, Muramasa and Zero Escape if I were to buy the system. Would you say its worth the purchase for those 5 games alone?

What are your thoughts or suggestions? Everyone who owns a Vita say its a good system, and Im sure it is, but is this really a good time to purchase it? I'm not worried about what some ppl say how "support will be dropped by Sony soon" because I know that wont happen. So would you guys risk it, or is my best bet to wait until the Holiday season? :shrug:

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Even tough I have a Vita and bought it on release I think you should wait. There´s nothing to lose. Unless you really need to play a certain game right now I see no reason for you not to wait for it to cost less and have a larger selection of games.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

InstrumentalityOne
Strawberries & Peaches
Strawberries & Peaches

•      
  •      

Postby InstrumentalityOne » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Abandon current gen, buy used PS3s, stock up on canned tuna

Yaywalter
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Yaywalter » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:26 am

The Vita's an excellent console, but is woefully unsupported.

So really it's up to you... buy into the Vita platform and hope others do the same, resulting in the Vita getting more developer support, or skip it and avoid the risk of it not gaining any momentum.

Though I doubt the Vita's going anywhere. I imagine that Sony'll turn it around like they did with the PS3. Though when they'll do that is anyone's guess. Maybe they're banking on it selling as a PS4 companion device...

Stryker
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Stryker » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:46 am

View Original PostYaywalter wrote:Maybe they're banking on it selling as a PS4 companion device...

There have been instances and demonstrations at E3 of the Vita being used like a controller for the PS4, as well as a device that the PS4 can stream to around the house, so that if you needed to use the bathroom while playing, for example, you didn't need to stop playing.
The Moats of Quotes
"Life is becoming more and more indistinguishable from Onion articles." ~Monk Ed
"Oh my gods, that is awesome. I am inclined to forgive both Grant and the dub in general for that." ~Bagheera
"I don't try to engage in intelligent conversation here anymore."~Chee
"Look, if loving a clone of your mom is wrong, I don't wanna be right." ~Chuckman

|Why angels fight.|What Bagheera is talking about.|

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:41 am

Japanese support is okay as games are announced almost every week for it. I don't think that Sony will stop supporting the system at least until 2015. You should wait for Gamescom (21 August) were it is rumoured that Vita will get a price cut and probably some new announcements.

With all that we all know Vita is an amazing piece of hardware. The only problem is that Sony will not give the system a big support because of the PS4.

Also in the near future Vita will probably get a redesign like all the previous consoles and handhelds.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:11 pm

And thats the problem. I can't commit to buying the system now for its current price given the fact that I only like 4 games or so. There is a possibility that the system will get a price cut and more support once the PS4 is out. On the other hand, it might not a get a price cut and support will remain minimal for another few years... :uhh:

I would give sony up until 2014 to do something with the Vita

**EDIT

Aha, a month later they make a price cut

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:19 pm

The following quotation is from another topic.

View Original PostStan wrote:You probably heard this before, but the Vita is such a good little system. I can't recommend it enough!

So I take it you think it's worth buying now. Do go on.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:48 pm

I think the Vita is worth getting, but only if you're into Japanese games and importing. The system and its game library are VERY Japanese right now, which I suspect is one of the reasons it's struggling in the West. Note that I said the West. In Japan, the Vita is one of the top-selling game consoles, usually ranking in the top 3 with the 3DS and the PS4. Because of that, the library of Japanese Vita games is massive. The stuff that gets localized in the US is just the tip of the iceberg. There are plenty of un-localized exclusives like Tokyo Xanadu, Lord of Apocalypse, Phantasy Star Nova, Phantasy Star Online 2, The Chaos Rings series, and Girls und Panzer: Senshado Kiwamimasu that look great, and the latter is great as far as I'm concerned. I plan to import the others in the future, but lately my game funds have been going towards the new AAA games being released on PS4. If the regular Vita is too expensive, you can now buy the PS TV bundle for less than $100 new on Amazon, which plays the vast majority of the Vita games. Games that rely heavily on touch controls won't work because the PS TV doesn't have a touch pad.
[Redacted]

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:02 am

It's worth buying just to play any of the Persona Games.

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:51 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:The following quotation is from another topic.

So I take it you think it's worth buying now. Do go on.

LOL! Yeah, I did get it, forgot to update this post -o-;
I'm amazed you tracked it down to here, bonus points for you sir!

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:25 pm

I sometimes still debate on getting a Vita, but my PSP still serves me well for handheld/on the road games... And that $50-ish at least memory card price tag = Ouch. Major NOPE still.

Our second MGSV Phantom Pain playthrough PS4 and older systems keep us plenty busy as is anyway.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:20 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I sometimes still debate on getting a Vita, but my PSP still serves me well for handheld/on the road games... And that $50-ish at least memory card price tag = Ouch. Major NOPE still.

Our [s]second MGSV Phantom Pain playthrough[/s] PS4 and older systems keep us plenty busy as is anyway.

If i had to choose between a PSP and a Vita, i would choose the PSP.

One of the major cons for me regarding Vita is that it isn't UMD compatible.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”