Will Anno achieve another EoE with Final?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Fig
Embryo

Will Anno achieve another EoE with Final?

•      
  •      

Postby Fig » Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm

Do you think Anno is going for something as amazing and groundbreaking as EoE for the final Rebuild movie? The first three Rebuild films obviously go over episodes 1-24 of the original series (with some major changes) so that only leaves 25, 26, and EoE to be followed. We all know EoE is an astonishing feat of anime film, so can Anno truly rival something like that? Is he even going to attempt it?

All the cards have been laid.

Anno, give us another classic!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:13 pm

Well, I would surely hope so, or Anno's gonna come off looking like a pretentious asshat dissing all other anime since NGE as not being "newer".
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:36 pm

All we can do is speculate with next to none information at this point. So I won't get into speculation of the movie itself as I see it more or less pointless.

I honestly doubt that he or anyone for that matter can really outdo their original masterpiece which is why I was rather skeptical of Rebuild at first and still am to certain extent especially after seeing Q. But knowing that he felt there weren't any other work as ground-breaking as Evangelion. And that he would still re-visit Evangelion despite the possible disappointment of the fans due to high expectations, he must've thought and that he was confident that he could deliver as great conclusion as EoE or better. But at the same time, if he tries some pretentious crap just for the sake of being ground-breaking, he'll probably choke on his own words.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:37 pm

Changed the title. Much better now.

I think the way things are set up now, there's no way we're getting "another EoE", in various senses of the phrase. First of all we've already been told we're getting something different, but secondly, EoE itself was basically one big climax, but it'd be way too soon for Final to be one big climax. Not all the cards have been laid out, and I think evidence of this can be found in what people are hoping to see and what they're speculating will be shown: flashbacks, Asuka and Shinji talking extensively, or coming to a camp/village of 3I survivors, etc.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:08 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Changed the title. Much better now.

I think the way things are set up now, there's no way we're getting "another EoE", in various senses of the phrase. First of all we've already been told we're getting something different, but secondly, EoE itself was basically one big climax, but it'd be way too soon for Final to be one big climax. Not all the cards have been laid out, and I think evidence of this can be found in what people are hoping to see and what they're speculating will be shown: flashbacks, Asuka and Shinji talking extensively, or coming to a camp/village of 3I survivors, etc.

Has it honestly been confirmed that 4.0 WILL be the last movie?
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Well, I would surely hope so, or Anno's gonna come off looking like a pretentious asshat dissing all other anime since NGE as not being "newer".

Would you honestly be surprised by that? It's Anno we're talking about.
Last edited by TheFriskyIan on Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Fig
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fig » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:12 pm

But do you think Anno wants to create something of that calibur?

Or that he is trying something different with these movies?

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:49 pm

Why do you assume that both can't be achieved with a single conclusion?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:22 pm

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:Would you honestly be surprised by that? It's Anno we're talking about.

Sooooo... does this mean that Anno's been pretentious all along and no one on this forum just ever vocalized it?

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:24 pm

At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear the "Next Time Preview" music at the end of 4.0. Well, not like it would be much of a surprise by the time I actually get to see it, anyway. There would be no way to avoid hearing about that if you're an Eva fan.
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:33 pm

View Original Postriffraff11235 wrote:At this point, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we hear the "Next Time Preview" music at the end of 4.0.

Really? Really? I wouldn't buy that. Yeah there's been lots of changes in plans, but that just doesn't fit khara's style, especially with NME, which has been nothing if not vastly more traditional in its storytelling than NGE.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

peripateia
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby peripateia » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:48 pm

There's no doubt that Anno and Khara will put in tremendous efforts to ensure that Final has the highest quality.

But there's no way he's gonna make another EoE. EoE was such an intensely personal film for Anno (ep.26' being his directorial contribution) as a cathartic experience (I think in an interview he stated that he discovered he was a fool after making eva). No mere hack&slash 90's mecha! Call it pretentious or 'experimental' film-making if you want, it's undoubtedly an indirect way of expressing a hard-to-express message. The message may lack meaning for some, but it's there.

You have to work for an understanding for both NGE and Rebuild, but take a look at the NGE discussion section and the Rebuild section of the evageeks forum! I see more threads debating characterization in the discussion section, and more threads debating plot devices and mechanics in Rebuild.

TL;DR NGE and EoE are character driven while Rebuild is more plot driven. Rebuild does have intricate characterizations, but NGE obsessively hides them in layers of insinuation and misdirection. It's safe to say that after ten years Anno has shifted focus as a film-maker, so alas, no EoE follow-up. To answer the thread topic, Nothing will top EoE!!!111 Nothing!!!

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Think back to the original hilariously quick timeline for rebuild.
1.0 in 2007
2.0 in 2008
3.0 and Final in 2009

What at first seemed like the quickest of cash-in plans was suppose to only take 3 years.

It has now been more than twice as long as that and has come to have an almost unbelievable openess to creativity, new ideas and new paths.

I'm pretty sure the staff have enjoyed the ride far more than most of the fans but at the same time I suspect that after Final they will want to do anything but Eva. 6+ years is a long time to work on the same thing.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:04 pm

Wasn't the original plan for Rebuild to have all four films in one year? I'm pretty sure that flew out the window really quickly.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:08 pm

He already made another EoE, 3.0 is his way of having his cake and eating it too, and making an EoE remake that isn't a remake but covers the same ground.

If I'm right, and I'm always right, 4.0 will confirm my theory that Rebuild is meaningfully, purposefully embracing fan fiction cliches for some as yet undetermined thematic reason.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:15 pm

TheFriskyIan not quite. I was a bit off

1.0 = 2007
2.0 + 3.0 + Final = 2008

Two years.

Which is even more hilarious.

I'm glad Anno decided to abuse the profits from each film to take the next one farther from old Eva.
I hope the fountains of cash from Q will be used to propel Final into completely new territory.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:25 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:I hope the fountains of cash from Q will be used to propel Final into completely new territory.

Another 14 year time-skip? Haha, jk, jk (although that would give every dedicated eva fan a heart-attack right there in the theater preventing them from criticizing the movie, leaving only casual fans to blabber over how shiny and nice looking it is) :D

Nah, But I do hope he makes the movie into something that we'll be able to talk over for the next 20 years and not fully comprehend....because a happy ending with Shinji marrying Rei/Asuka/kaworu/mari/Misato/ his right hand (zing*) would not feel like true eva. Shinji needs to suffer, eternally!!! :devil:

Fig
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Fig » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:13 pm

As much as I love the bleak ending to the original series, I wouldnt mind a happy ending for Shinji this time around. I mean, why not? Then we could have two Eva stories that present you with a different state of mentality, we've already seen how dark Anno's mind is, can we see how beautiful it is also? The ending to 2.0 is a prime example that Anno can make a touching climatic sequence and still make it feel so Eva.

Besides, the Rebuild films have a much lighter tone anyway, throwing an ending like EoE at us might be a tad unfitting.

Shinies
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Shinies » Tue Jul 16, 2013 10:21 pm

Would it really be that bad if it ended on a happier tone? I mean all the suffering in NGE was enough for generations to come, I think that if he risked to have a "happy" ending (as happy as it can be when yo are talking about Evangelion) would not be as bad as the fandom may think.

Anyway I just hope we can have final soon, the wait for Q was fucking eternal.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:40 pm

All I feel safe in predicting about 4.0 is it's going to be in the same emotional spectrum as EOE was. The movies while not strictly following the storyline of NGE have followed the emotional archs present in the original show.

1.0 was kinda melancholic & quiet like the first 6 episodes of NGE were.
2.0 for the first half was very jovial, goofy & felt tonally at odds with what you remember NGE was... just like Episodes 8 through 15 were.
Then 2.0 became very foreboding & had a sense of dread. A calm before the storm feeling. Just like Episodes 16 - 19.
3.0 is a dark, nihilistic, there is no hope for humanity just like Episodes 20 - 24 were.

4.0 should be emotionally in the same ballpark as EOE. BUT I wouldn't be surprised if he throws a curveball in there.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”