Fanfic Authors' Networking Thread

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:43 pm

^^

You Can (Never) Trust. It's one of those little things that just aggravates me on occasion.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:18 am

^
I've checked on both FFN and AO3, and I didn't found any trollish comments, were they erased or it comes from an earlier chapter?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:51 am

^^

Are you getting them personally? Cause they're just assholes being trolls, putting down something that's good so they themselves feel good about their own boring lives.

Don't fret dude, your fics are great. :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:13 pm

It was a one time comment, but it was just an irritating one. Mostly because it was obvious that the guy didn't read the story at all when he posted his review.

There was something else that popped up which reminded of it, details unimportant. It just annoys me when there's criticism without context.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:29 pm

I've hit a huge wall of writers block...

This sort of thing belongs in a thread for fanfic writters, not fanfic readers. Moved. -NemZ

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:25 pm

^
So take a fucking hammer to it and show it no mercy, it's not hard! What kind of ideas do you want?
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:19 pm

What do you guys do to get in a creative mood to write? And how do you guys write depressing things without becoming depressed yourselves?

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:51 pm

^
I think of stuff while I'm working at my job. And when it's depressing stuff I print a copy and after I do I put it through the paper shredder then I put the shredded paper in the fire pit and watch it burn.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:03 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:What do you guys do to get in a creative mood to write? And how do you guys write depressing things without becoming depressed yourselves?

(1) Lie in bed, half asleep, and hope I remember in the morning? Walk the dogs, and hope I don't get so caught up in my thoughts that I lose them?
(2) I can only write when caught up in the mood I'm trying to capture, sometimes even with the tears! I'm not especially recommending this - just saying it's what works for me, with my very little experience.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:27 pm

I don't usually try to write to order (i.e. because I feel I ought to be doing it), but wait until a story presents itself to be written. Then, as it's in progress, I'll spend hours while cycling going over the next few scenes, before committing to paper (short pieces that only take a sitting excepted) -- I can still associate sections of my longest Eva fic with sections of the route from Nort to La Rochelle I was cycling when I assembled them.

Writing stuff that's emotionally charged comes more as catharsis of an existing state of mind than wallowing in it, for example writing to process my immediate reactions to EoE; the exception being bursts of outright sentimentality for the weepy bits (but even that is catharsis of its own.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:51 am

My Beta Reader appears to be a bit busy IRL, and I'm almost done with the second draft for my prologue.

Would anyone be interested in me PMing them a sample of my upcoming fic for Beta-Reading?

A.T. Fields
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fields » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:12 pm

Suppose I'll post in this thread as well.

I wrote/am currently writing this: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8882468/1/Human-Immortality-Project

I could use a beta reader; I've never had one! Mostly to check spelling/grammar and overall execution - but also as an additional commitment factor to make me release faster.

If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:57 pm

Much like Ray, my Beta-reader - understandably - has more important things to worry about than my arbitrary bit of fan fiction. I'm writing a Halo/Evangelion fusion crossover, and my Beta is more on the Halo spectrum of things - which is awesome. But atm, I'm more concerned about my portrayal of the Eva cast in conjunction with the Halo verse and its characters.

Considering how almost everyone here seems meticulously attuned with the Eva cast, I'd like to see a take on what I have so far from a very Eva-centric point of view.

If anyone at all is interested, PM me and I'll give you the deets. If you want to interrogate me on the plot and make sure its not completely stupid first, that's cool too.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Well, before I begin perusing the endless sea of inactive beta-readers on FF.net, would anyone here be interested in Beta-reading for an AU Evangelion fic?

Gendo sends four year-old Shinji to live on the Langley Estate in Germany, where he will grow up in the company of Asuka and undergo training to one day pilot Unit-one. Their relationship is a strained one and they're not remotely well-adjusted, but they have each other.

An exploration of "what if Shinji and Asuka were childhood friends?" but with all of the baggage that was absent in the episode 26 AU.

PM if you're down to Betaaaaaa.
Last edited by Glor on Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:10 am

Recently I've been rereading some other fanfic trying to get it through my head about what is good writing' vs 'bad writing.' as I'm a bit torn about the current quality of my fic.

Frankly, what always bugs me about a lot of fics is all the third person exposition.

On one hand it's really awkward when characters give exposition. On the other hand, third person exposition in my opinion, writing about a characters inner thoughts, just comes off as lazy writing. When I write, I try to write like I'm describing an action on a screen. I prefer describing a characters facial expressions and body language as opposed to describing the, but that tends to get a bit repetitious.

What do you guys think? When is third person acceptable and when should it be avoided at all costs?

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:28 am

View Original PostRay wrote:What do you guys think? When is third person acceptable and when should it be avoided at all costs?
Third person (in its variations) should be the default -- just choose one variant and stick with it. Descriptive passages feel more natural when you're writing as a camera, even if it's an "over the shoulder" one. Just keep the focus on one character per scene when you choose a variation that lets you into their head.

Personally, I only switch to first person in very rare cases, and then only when there is a need to express urgency, and when the focus is entirely on the one character -- and at point the camera simply stops being over the shoulder and moves into the character's head (and it's somewhat jolting to get do a "meanwhile,..." scene, however necessary, when you've switched to that mode).

The thing I normally find as marking not terribly good writing is a lack of descriptive text -- you need to engage as many senses as possible to build the context that the characters are working in, rather than having them floating in some nebulous void.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:04 am

Ray, do you still need a beta-reader? I'm not the greatest, but sometimes a second opinion is all you need.

There's nothing wrong with Third Person, but it seems many writers equate exposition and large word count to skillful writing. Exposition also relies a lot on telling, as opposed to showing. But a balance of telling/showing is what I think makes an ideal piece of writing. Too much telling is lazy writing and boring to read - everything comes off as a summary. If everything is shown, its like wading through the mud and you kind of just want it to be over. There needs to be certain intervals where we are just given details without having to work through senses and emotions. Telling can also be used to carry us from one scene to the next quickly.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The thing I normally find as marking not terribly good writing is a lack of descriptive text -- you need to engage as many senses as possible to build the context that the characters are working in, rather than having them floating in some nebulous void.

^This. Always do this!

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:40 pm

Well... not EVERY sense. Some new writers force this far too much and it gets very distracting. Just enough detail to cover the senses that would naturally have something to latch onto given whatever is happening, or perhaps some minor curious factoid just for the sake of livening things up a little.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:39 pm

View Original PostGlor wrote:Ray, do you still need a beta-reader? I'm not the greatest, but sometimes a second opinion is all you need.

I posted a few samples on the Shinji as an adult thread. Check it out if you are interested.

I might send some samples to you when I'm finally happy with them.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun May 03, 2015 6:57 pm

I kind of feel like I'm writing Crying Man in a vacuum. I guess I knew from the start that it would be niche interest, but there's, like, maybe two people reading it anymore (that I know of), which is kind of depressing. What do I need to do? Cross-post to FF.net and AO3 or something? Just keep writing and hope?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Fanfiction”