Misato: Functioning Alcoholic?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Misato: Functioning Alcoholic?

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:25 pm

Split from "Kaji & Misato: "pure" for each other?". A discussion on Rebuild Misato's seemingly less controlled use of alcohol.
View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Rebuild offers a slightly different take on this, with Misato actually appearing drunk on duty in 2.0, and generally a heavier drinker in general. NGE's Misato on the other hand appears to be more restrained when away from her apartment.

View Original PostKendrix wrote:When exactly was that, that we saw her drunk on duty?
I don't recall any such moment.
While the children are running a simulation test in 2.0, right after Rei and Gendo's meal. Misato is spinning around on a chair philosophising. While it's not explicitly stated, she gives the clear appearance of being "tipsy".
Last edited by ObsessiveMathsFreak on Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

K40s
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby K40s » Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:08 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:While the children are running a simulation test in 2.0, right after Rei and Gendo's meal. Misato is spinning around on a chair philosophising. While it's not explicitly stated, she gives the clear appearance of being "tipsy".
She just seemed playful and relaxed to me, not necessarily drunk or "happy".

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:45 am

View Original PostK40s wrote:She just seemed playful and relaxed to me, not necessarily drunk or "happy".

Agreed. Or rather bored, given the context of the scene and what Maya and Ritsuko had been talking about. Given the peaceful times there hadn't been much for her to do other than her regular work, so she got to goof off a bit and be less formal.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:47 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:While the children are running a simulation test in 2.0, right after Rei and Gendo's meal. Misato is spinning around on a chair philosophising. While it's not explicitly stated, she gives the clear appearance of being "tipsy".

Dunno, seems like regular silly/not 100% age appropiate Misato to me, she was just bored - note that the bridge bunnies seem to be relaxing in the panorama shot. Nothing Misato's doing looks drunk-er than Aoba's air guitar.

The point isd that they're all bored (including Ritsuko who gets a bit sarcastic in admiring the "peace", and Asuka who openly yawns) exept for Shinji who's busy whacking his brains/fanboying over Rei.

Of course, they'll soon be very sorry they ever complained...
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Misato's cheeks are flushed during the scene. Later tbey are seen even more so when she drinks with Kaji. I believe the implication is that she's had a drink.

Again, NGE Misato never does anything of the kind.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:00 am

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:Misato's cheeks are flushed during the scene.

Pics plz? With a pointy arrow if possible?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:44 pm

The unvarnished truth.

Misato the lush  SPOILER: Show

Misato lush
[wkimg]Eva2-22_C0635_b_misato_lush.jpg[/wkimg]

Misato Drunk
[wkimg]Eva2-22_C0930_a_Misato_drunk.jpg[/wkimg]

The pink flush in Misato's cheeks indicates the slight presence of alcohol. My assumption is that, Sherlock Holes is to cases is to cocaine like Misato is to Angels is to booze.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Ppl can get blush lines in their faces for all sort of reasons.
Notably, neither of the others is having a WTF reaction.

I wouldn't rate that as that severe anyway, since the point of the scene was that they were all bored to tears/not sensing the comming storm.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:54 pm

Misato's cheeks also blush when she is around Kaji, but he's not about. Given how she spins around in the chair and her general attitude, I tend to suspect an irish coffee or the like here.

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:13 pm

View Original PostObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:The pink flush in Misato's cheeks indicates the slight presence of alcohol. My assumption is that, Sherlock Holes is to cases is to cocaine like Misato is to Angels is to booze.

To me the pictures just highlight the extreme difference between the spinny chair shot and Drunk!Misato. Whereas Drunk!Misato's blush is very strong and noticeable, with additional pink shading, around the pink lines, SpinnyChair!Misato just has the lines (are they pink or just skin-coloured?) and a normal skin tone. She looks happy or carefree rather than drunk (furthermore, if everyone who spins in a chair during their free time is drunk, the world must be a very drunken place).

In any case, Misato being an alcoholic doesn't really have much to do with whether she's "pure" for Kaji (unless you count the manufacturers of [s]Yebisu[/s] Yebichu as rivals to their love).
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:25 pm

Well... that scene with spinning!Misato happened after the scene where Kaji went all latin lover on Misato(just after she finished the bento Shinji prepared for her), so personally I interpreted that as Misato being all giddy because Kaji was back and he was still interested in her(and her in him), or even that they started dating again and did... more, and that spinning!Misato was just Misato in a after-sex state of happiness...

I'm French, I have the right to think like that. :|
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Jinroh
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Jinroh » Sun Jul 07, 2013 6:40 pm

I really love those facial expressions.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:12 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Well... that scene with spinning!Misato happened after the scene where Kaji went all latin lover on Misato(just after she finished the bento Shinji prepared for her), so personally I interpreted that as Misato being all giddy because Kaji was back and he was still interested in her(and her in him), or even that they started dating again and did... more, and that spinning!Misato was just Misato in a after-sex state of happiness...

I'm French, I have the right to think like that. :|

As one who is wise in the ways of romance tropes in fiction, it's this. It's important that every major character get a little flash of happiness before Shinji gets in the fucking robot, for life is unjust and cruel. It also fits thematically, as the middle third of 2.0 is about all of the female characters dealing with butterflies in their stomach because somebody is making them happy in their pants places.

Except Ritsuko, who has been unfairly abandoned by Rebuild and turned into a background/exposition character instead of the sexy science goddess of yore.

This is the guy who thinks that Evangelion is a secret alchemical formula saying that thinking she's drunk from her mannerisms in that scene is reading too much into it.

Unless she did have one drink and Misato isn't a raging alcoholic, but has a really low tolerance and thinks she's a raging alcoholic because she gets plastered on the third beer.

I doubt that's true. She probably had her morning beer that day and felt no effects at all. Misato's "cute" drinking habit is one of the traits of an alcoholic that's built up such a tolerance that they have to drink to keep from getting sick, not to get buzzed.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 pm

View Original PostJinroh wrote:I really love those facial expressions.

I know, she looks so attractive when she's less serious. A nicer appearance over the cold bitch that took her over in Q.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:06 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:(furthermore, if everyone who spins in a chair during their free time is drunk, the world must be a very drunken place).

THIS. Again, note Aoba and Hyuuga chillaxing in the panorama shot.
Misato isn't given any accentuation as distinct from everyone else, either.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:I know, she looks so attractive when she's less serious.

Kaji also seems to think so XD (See the earlier scene)

He, and everything he represents/brings to the table, is really is so desperately missing in Q... and Shinji couldn't even keep his promise to "protect Katsuragi." :(

View Original PostChuckman wrote:As one who is wise in the ways of romance tropes in fiction, it's this. It's important that every major character get a little flash of happiness before Shinji gets in the fucking robot, for life is unjust and cruel. It also fits thematically, as the middle third of 2.0 is about all of the female characters dealing with butterflies in their stomach because somebody is making them happy in their pants places.

Never thought of that.

Unlike in the series, we don't explicitly *see* that much of her and Kaji getting back together and eventually boink, but to a degree, it IS implied that they do (See interactions post-Bardiel, or the fact that they were obviously having their little conversation on SEELE while being out on a date. )

Still, to me, this looks more like half-heartedly concealed boredom than post-orgasm-grin.

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote: (unless you count the manufacturers of [s]Yebisu[/s] Yebichu as rivals to their love).

Let's face it, no matter how much superspy charm Kaji has, how awesome his discostick is, or what a sensitive closet-writer of depressing poetry he is (See supplementary material), if Misato was forced to choose, the booze would win without a second thought XD

moonwolf2024
Armisael
Armisael

Re: Misato: Functioning Alcoholic?

•      
  •      

Postby moonwolf2024 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:47 pm

No, I doubt she was tipsy in that scene. However, I DO agree that she's a functioning alcoholic. I mean check her apt when Shinji first gets there.

That's a lot of sake for someone who live alone.
SPOILER: Show
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/13/1pat.png/]Image[/URL]

Her freakin fridge. It would be a difference if there were only two or three.
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/526/lgh.png/]Image[/URL]

The table..... :|
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/853/whv.png/]Image[/URL]

This is an alcoholic
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/bzl3.png/]Image[/URL]
Maybe if you shut up and stop over analyzing everything you just might get it........

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

Re: Misato: Functioning Alcoholic?

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:35 pm

View Original Postmoonwolf2024 wrote:This is an alcoholic
[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/bzl3.png/][/URL]

What the Hell kind of party were those two having?
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:39 pm

I refuse to believe a woman with a waistline like that drinks as much as she's supposed to.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

riffraff11235
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby riffraff11235 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:58 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I refuse to believe a woman with a waistline like that drinks as much as she's supposed to.

She must have one hell of a personal trainer. :lol:

@TheFriskyIan If it's too crazy to be shown in an Eva movie, I don't even want to think about it. :scared:
だから みんな 死んでしまえば いいのに... では, あなたは何故, ココにいるの? ...ココにいても, いいの?
"Cogito ergo sum." - Rene Descartes
"Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
Avatar: Asuka is superior. That is all.
PSN - riffraff-11235 Feel free to add me. PM me on EGF if you do.
Steam - rifffraff11235

League of Legends - riffraff11235
Osu! - riffraff11235

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:10 pm

If anything that Synchro-Test was just the last thing the staff at NERV had to get through before the weekend. Nothing wrong with sneaking in a little something something before getting to your weekend.

Besides, we all know the Eva pilots are all addicted to crack. How else can you explain them all being sooo skinny. Put those plugsuits on anyone with an ounce of body fat & the image is ruined but they all know how to carry those suits off. Is that something NERV checks before deciding if a kid is to be "chosen" to be a pilot.

I now have an image of Gendo looking at two applications for the pilot of Unit 02. One is the Asuka we all know & love. The other is ... more qualified technically but less pleasant to look at. He stamps a big red ole' DECLINE on butterface & a big red old CHOSEN on Asuka's.

NERV - Bunch of fatists.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”