EvaGeeks.org Forum - an Evangelion Fan Community
Anno has no bloody idea. Fanwank something.

Evangelion 3.0 screening in Montreal on July 20th

Post new topic    Reply to topic    EvaGeeks.org Forum - an Evangelion Fan Community Forum Index -> Rebuild of Evangelion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shamshel
Shamshel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject:
Evangelion 3.0 screening in Montreal on July 20th

Good news for people in the Montreal, Quebec area! The Fantasia International Film Festival just posted their schedule for this year, and they will be showing Evangelion 3.0 on July 20th! That's next week! Hell yeah! Is anyone else going?

The English subtitles used for Fantasia's previous Evangelion movie screenings were different from what Funimation ended up using, so it will be interesting to see what kind of translation differences will happen this time. For example, Fantasia's version of 2.0 subtitles translated Rei's famous poka poka line as "Ikari makes me feel warm and fuzzy, and I want to make him feel warm and fuzzy as well".
Tunniel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject:

Augh, halfway across the country for me.

If you see a Vancouver date, please let me know!
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject:

Pass.

Had this happened before the BD came out it would have been worth the effort of getting up there despite being broke.
Tunniel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I'm so there.
Embryo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject:

Oh My god I can't wait !
I'll be there for sure !
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject:

Sooo, can one of the people who will go there take some notes of the translation like I did for the French screening event?
I'm sure that it will be very interesting to compare them with the French subs and the Japanese lines.
Embryo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject:

View Original Post ElMariachi wrote:
Sooo, can one of the people who will go there take some notes of the translation like I did for the French screening event?
I'm sure that it will be very interesting to compare them with the French subs and the Japanese lines.

It's not gonna be french subs.
http://www.fantasiafestival.com/2013/fr/films-et-horaire/226/evangelion-3-0-you-can-not-redo
Science Fiction / Fantastique / Animation - Japon/2012/96 mins/HD/Japonais + Anglais (sous-titres)

Désolé :\
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Not a problem, in fact it's even better : with that we will be sure that they didn't copied the translation from France, and the comparison would still be interesting.
Tunniel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject:

It'll be my first big screen experience with Eva, so I'm likely to just sit back and enjoy. However, with some significant lines I tend to notice and remember later.
Zeruel
Zeruel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject:

...and my parents were literally JUST in Montréal

looks like i'll have to pass on this one; have a super great time for me You have my approval!
Tunniel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject:

So it was a cool and somewhat unreal experience watching an Eva movie in a large theatre with ~700 fans.

"Which of you have seen the original series?" *Applause*

"Evangelion's one of the best anime out there, ain't it?" *Applause*

"Anno's either a genius or a madman, am I right?" *Applause*

*Suggestive interaction between Shinji and Kaworu* - Mass giggles

For anyone interested, the subtitles were generally different from the fansub. I did like the difference, as a slightly different wording here and there gave the chance to catch something different from certain lines (only the original Japanese can certainly carry all the meaning as intended). Some proper terms weren't on the dot, like Third Boy, or Unit 2 Improved, maybe because the subber wasn't entirely familiar with the film or franchise.
Shamshel
Shamshel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject:

Seeing the movie on a big screen with big sound was so awesome! I had a lot of fun. For those who are curious about comparing Fantasia's English subtitles to the GitHub fansub, I made a post about it on the Translation of Evangelion 3.0 thread: click here.
Embryo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:21 am    Post subject:

Indeed, it was great to finally get to see Eva on the (somewhat) big screen! Being in a room full of Eva fans was also great, most of the audience reaction was laughs and giggles (or even "Ewww" 's) during the Shinji-Kaworu scenes.

It's nice to see it confirmed that the subtitles were indeed different. They certainly felt different, although it was only the second time that I watched the movie in its full lengths, the first being the Blu-Ray with UTW subs. Little side-note: there was a typo at one point, sometimes like "The" being written instead of "They".

Speaking of which, for those who attended, was it the theatrical version or the Blu-Ray version that was projected? In retrospect, several scenes felt less detailed or plain-er than what I had seen before, however the fact they played their pre-show ads using an obvious Mac computer made we fear they'd only project the Blu-Ray out. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with it (we're still watching Eva on a bigger screen than usual, with better speakers and with lots of other fans), but it would be a bit cheap.

One last side note, the theater speakers definitely made me notice Eva 01's ambient breathing more during the Wunder scene.
Shamshel
Shamshel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject:

Icosahedron wrote:
Speaking of which, for those who attended, was it the theatrical version or the Blu-Ray version that was projected?

The Mk. 04A didn't have an IPEA logo on it, so that means it was the theatrical version (3.0), not the Blu-ray version (3.33).
Tunniel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject:

Yeah, that's something I noted (the more powerful ambient sound).

What we watched was 3.0, the theatrical version.
Post new topic    Reply to topic    EvaGeeks.org Forum - an Evangelion Fan Community Forum Index -> Rebuild of Evangelion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: