DO you hate posers?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

whiemeat
Embryo

DO you hate posers?

•      
  •      

Postby whiemeat » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:39 pm

god I cant stand posers especially if they think they know about eva so tell me how do you know when somewon has never experienced NGE?

for me its one of two things-pronunciation and when they ask you things about it

You know somewon has never seen NGE when they pronounce it Evanjellion how many times do they pronounce it the right way in the anime

I have three people who act as if they are my friends and I try to talk about eva with them and they say they watch it but what happens when I say anything about it such as who is your favorite eva piolet? and they say oh ones blond right whats her name again?

god I hate that so tell me fellow evageeks how do you know when somewon is an eva poser?
gods in his heaven, all is right with the world

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:46 pm

I have many friends who are able to appreciate deep stories, but they're unable to accept EVA simply because they still think that anime is for kids or just don't want to watch it, which pisses me off because it makes my country more retarded than ever. They play games, they watch even awesome movies like Bladerunner and whatnot, but they just don't want to appreciate anime. Also there are many jerks who pretend to watch EVA, but then they just compare it to Gundam or their other mecha craps, which is a huge mistake cuz nobody gives a damn about mechas in EVA.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:55 pm

View Original PostKatana wrote:I have many friends who are able to appreciate deep stories, but they're unable to accept EVA simply because they still think that anime is for kids or just don't want to watch it, which pisses me off because it makes my country more retarded than ever

^ This. i absolutely DESPISE people who say that cartoons are for children. Ever seen Superjail! or South Park? Those are most definitely not for kids; then again, if people can't let go of that stupid mindset, they're better off watching American football or reality TV or whatever other form of brainless, anti-intellectual forms of "entertainment."

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:19 am

View Original PostÆnimal wrote:^ This. i absolutely DESPISE people who say that cartoons are for children.
They aren't stupid, I said they like deep stories, but they don't accept anime because they think it's all Dragonball and Naruto etc., I even tried to make them watch Cowboy Bebop, but it's useless. This is why I hate to death Shonen anime.

Ænimal
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Ænimal » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:28 am

ah, you're also confused at my wording - not to worry; Wikipedia has all the answers :)

Katana
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Katana » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:32 am

The only anime that has impressed a bit them was NHK ni Youkoso.

Nouw
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Nouw » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:11 am

There's a lot of hate for posers in this thread but there's no real reason given for why. Are they somehow ruining your enjoyment of Eva? Is your enjoyment of Eva somehow directly proportional to how much other people genuinely like it? Why does it matter if your friends pretend to like Eva? Surely you can just discuss it right here in this Evangelion discussion forum right?

The question you raise is legitimate OP, how the hell do do you even recognize a poser? And more importantly, why would you give a toss about whether someone actually likes Eva or not?

This thread is just baffling and reminds me of the whole 'fake-geek girl' shtick.

Jurrasic
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Jurrasic » Wed Jul 10, 2013 7:46 am

Agree really. Odds are, your friend is simply trying to reach a common ground with you, why would you get upset with him/her for that?
"Yes ladies and gentlemen, in France Asuka swears like a sailor and confirms that she's the butch of her apparent lesbian relationship with Mari, Mari insults people that ignore her, and Shinji Ikari tells to Sakura Suzuhara and Misato Katsuragi to go fuck themselves!" -ElMariachi

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:34 pm

View Original PostNouw wrote:There's a lot of hate for posers in this thread but there's no real reason given for why. Are they somehow ruining your enjoyment of Eva? Is your enjoyment of Eva somehow directly proportional to how much other people genuinely like it? Why does it matter if your friends pretend to like Eva? Surely you can just discuss it right here in this Evangelion discussion forum right?

The question you raise is legitimate OP, how the hell do do you even recognize a poser? And more importantly, why would you give a toss about whether someone actually likes Eva or not?

This thread is just baffling and reminds me of the whole 'fake-geek girl' shtick.

Well, in the case of the guy whose friends didn't even seem to watch it, it's very telling about your friends that they're so indifferent they couldn't even bother to watch it, and so stupid that they think they can fool you into thinking they did watch it. It always sucks to deal with people who say anime is for children or anything like that, and in a very round-about way they do affect your hobby by lowering demand or increasing hostility towards it. Then there are those people who dislike dishonesty or fakeness on a general principle.

It doesn't help that Eva is already a very controversial anime in some circles and there's a lot of western derp around it, so it certainly doesn't need "many jerks who pretend to watch EVA, but then they just compare it to Gundam or their other mecha craps". We don't really want or need for these people to make us look bad when we can do that legitimately on our own.

Odds are, your friend is simply trying to reach a common ground with you, why would you get upset with him/her for that?

In my case, because i feel that half-assing an effort is a very disdainful thing. It's not enought try, you must somehow achieve it or something like that.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

whiemeat
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby whiemeat » Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:23 pm

nice explanation It makes a ton of sense
gods in his heaven, all is right with the world

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”