Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

iihieiii
Lilith

[con] Japan Expo France

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Can anyone on this forum cover this event =) ???

I believe is French =P
Last edited by iihieiii on Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:36 pm

What language is that?

Also: 4 impact spoiler................. :facepalm:

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 pm

It's in French.

This event will take place in Japan Expo, which is the biggest convention on Europe on everything about Japan, but especially Anime, Manga and video-games. It take place every year durig the first week of July in Villepinte, a city just North of Paris(yep, France again! :D ) and last four days. This year it will last from the 4th to the 7th of July.

So Dybex, one of the biggest distributors of animes of France, will make a big Evangelion exposition on its stand,called "EVANGELION ANIME WORKS". It will feature copies of original illustrations and sketches of the movies, as well as a copy of the script of the Evangelion manga from Sadamoto.
Besides some events will be organized, like a "secret" flashmob(a person from Dybex told us about that in the Rebuild marathon in theater the past Friday) and a stamp rally with four people from Dybex cosplayed as Shinji, Asuka, Rei and Mari situated in the stands of Dybex and three of its partners, people getting the four stamps will gain extra goodies or something like that.

Oh and the 3.33 DVD will be for sale in advance, exclusively for the convention! Sadly, no mention of a BR sale.
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:18 pm

That gigantic Eva-01 poster would be nice to have.

Also, BD. Blu-ray Disc. Not BR.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:11 pm

The EVA-01 poster is 1 meter high and his given for the first 250 people than buy the DVD.

And yes it's BD, I don't know why I'm still writing BR! :facepalm:
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Sun Jun 30, 2013 5:30 pm

That DVD cover looks awful.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:14 pm

Sounds like a cool event, strange that the BD isn't offered as well.

View Original PostTheFriskyIan wrote:DVD cover

Using the movie poster illustration is weird, yeah. It seems like there weren't as many official images for 3.0 compared to the first 2 films. Or maybe there were lots of official images but they didn't pop up online?
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:31 pm

Googling around that Eva-01 image is actually back from 2010 and was used for promotion and as a theme in the softbank phone.

Mildly annoying that it's been around for so long and yet there's apperently no good scan of it.

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:36 am

Maybe a nive French guy (ElMariachi :lol: ) can cover this event :rolleyes:

Also, what about the 3.0 phrases that you saw yesterday ?? ;)

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:16 am

I can only go to Japan Expo the next Saturday(I have work the rest of the week and there is never many thing interesting the Sunday), I can try to give a look about what these events are about, but don't expect a full report.

As for the lines, well I wrote notes in a notepad(in the end there was much more interesting things than I guessed will be), but it was in the dark, and when the movie ended and the lights came back, I realized that at least half of my notes were written on the same area of my bloc-note, making reading most of them nearly impossible... :facepalm:

Thankfully the movie was still fresh in my head and I managed to salvage almost everything I wanted to say, so it will come soon!

Also, Life.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:29 am

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:(in the end there was much more interesting things than I guessed will be)

:gendo_kimura: Now you've got me excited.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:42 am

*CURIOSITY ROUSED*
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:40 am

Well, there is some terms that change our understanding of what they means(like the FoIs), others are interesting terms used to describe Shinji's role in bringing this blood-red world, Asuka's new nickname for Shinji that isn't the same(but that could be because of a limitation in the French language), or Rei's fate in Gendo's plans.

By the way when you see them with other peoples, some scenes can become downright hilarious, like Rei's dinner with Gendo and the monosyllabic answers of the latter, Ritsuko going all mystical at the end of 2.0 when describing EVA-01's awakening(did Kheel's spirit possessed her or what?), or Shinji and Kaworu's interactions in 3.0, especially since the French subtitles turned the gay subtext up to eleven!(And some have been added between Mari and Asuka!) :hitthetable:
Last edited by ElMariachi on Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

TruthfulLie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby TruthfulLie » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:48 am

I want ATF umbrella.

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:44 pm

The Eva-01 poster is limited to the first 250 folks who buy the DVD it looks like. And there'll be some goods for sale too.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:12 pm

Well ladies and gentlemen, I've gone to Japan Expo today, and covered the Dybex events while I was on it!

So firstly, just to give you an idea(to make you non-French people rage! :devil: ), this is the ComicCon & Videos-games part of the convention :

Panorama  SPOILER: Show
Left side :

Right side :

The proper Japanese part is as big as this but unfortunately there wasn't any vantage point for photography for the Japan Expo part.

Anyway the Dybex event were actually two events :

First Event : “EVANGELION ANIME WORKS”

An exposition of the official franchise(meaning without the crazy spinoffs like Campus Apocalypse, ISIK or ANIMA) with a 2.09m tall EVA-01, copies of original illustrations and sketches of the movies, as well as a copy of the script of the Evangelion manga from Sadamoto. It's a little exposition made of three small halls :

- the first hall had a presentation of the franchise, the characters and a brief biography of the main people behind Evangelion(Anno, Sadamoto, Sagisu...) as well as a schematics of the different stages of creation on a movie like Rebuild, some unused concept arts like Mari's "Beast form" plugsuit, and finally some "parameters" images for the characters and the Evangelions(images that can be found in the booklets) with informative images about the comparison of size between an EVA and the rest of Tokyo-3's urban furniture(these fucking robots are huge!) or a sample of the CGI objects they used for the wide shots(cars, telephone booths, UCC Coffee vending machines, house building...), by the way "congratulations" to Dybex for spoiling the time skip by exposing the booklet illustration page of Sakura Suzuhara, with her full name written... :irked:
At least they didn't exposed any picture of Shinji with the DSS Choker...

- the second hall has a collection of conceptual sketches(original ones, directly imported from Japan!) with the Master's corrections in red, with the corresponding final image, I learned four interesting things here :
1/ Misato's pose when she's clutching at her cross and saying "Wings, like 15 years ago" is mean to mimic her pose when looking to 2I from the emergency capsule on the sea.
2/ The third eye of EVA-01 while in "Giant of Light" form seems to actually be the base of the horn that's glowing : in the sketches the two regular eyes are drawn in white and are oval, while the "third eye" is a red circle.
3/ Shinji inherited his father's eyes, he ans Gendo have the exact same shade of blue(yes there is an illustration of Gendo's eye without the glasses obscuring them!)
4/ Anno is one the the biggest maniac of details I've ever seen, almost all of the sketches have his corrections in red, and some are literally littered with red lines(most notably Asuka's test plugsuit!)

- the third hall is dedicated to Sadamoto's manga, with a collection of drawing boards of the most impacting scenes of his manga(and I'm not talking about the cop-out ending!) which are Shinji and Rei's first proper meeting and discussion, and Shinji saving Asuka from the Harpies. There is also a selection of Evangelion goodies, notably a collection of official t-shirts.

Unfortunately photographies were prohibited in this little exposition, I still managed to sneakingly take some, so here they are, "For your eyes only" :wink: :

EVANGELION ANIME WORKS  SPOILER: Show
The outer wall and entrance of the exposition :
Image Image

Shogouki in all her diminutive splendor :

A presentation of the different phase of the creation of a Rebuild movie, from the proposal to the final mixing of the sounds with the image, it's all in French though :

A conceptual image of Sahaquiel(WHY THEY DIDN'T USED IT?!) :

The Evangelion goodies :

The last one is actually very funny because of the context : there is a Pixiv artist fairly popular among the forum member that specialize in post-3.33 humorous comics, and in one of them I made fun of the fact that Asuka had a statue of Shogoki stomping on NERV's Pyramid, this one, third panel :

Well turns out that it's a goodies that really exists, it's an humidifier!

Now the t-shirts, I only could take two of them, and I swear to God that the second is official!

EVA-01 vs Third Angel :

Asuka errr... :misato_service: ?
I had to made sure that no one was looking when I took that photo, now I feel dirty... :|

Second Event : Secret Flashmob

In the Dybex stand(the distributor of the Evangelion series and Rebuild movies in France) there was a surprise flash mob at 16:30 that was organized since one week ago in a Facebook page they created. So at the designated hour the guy with the cape climbed on the table, put a Sachiel mask, people who in the FB page downloaded the pattern to print their own Sachiel mask brought theirs too, "Angel Attack" from the original series started to play at full volume, they all took the pause during one minute or so and then dispersed... yeah I didn't understood either :

Secret flash mob  SPOILER: Show

You can buy a lot of DVD and BD distributed by Dybex here, it's here that the 3.33 DVD was on sale too, and to make some buzzz and attract new client they got the idea to screen the 3.33 DVD on one of their big screens, it worked! It was also easy to spot the people who didn't saw the third movie yet : they were the one with a WTF face!
And of course the litanies of shocked faces and "putain" proffered when the 14 years time skip was revealed, I never tire of it! :heehee:

By the way, you see the dude with the cape, the one we see the back in the first photo, and at the center of the third one? This is the guy that presented the event Dybex would prepare for the Japan Expo the past Saturday during the Rebuild marathon special event. And I learned three days ago in a forum that this dude is actually the CEO of Dybex! And after the flash mob he stayed to help the sellers in the Dybex stand, I had him at less than one meter, I could have taken the opportunity to ask him about the sources of the translations that I noted in the 3.0 translation topic, to see if they had access to supplemental information to make sure that they made the most correct translation... and it didn't even got through my mind until I was in the train to come back home! :headbash:
I will try to send them an mail, with a little chance they respond...

Other interesting things

There was also a stamp rally where you had to collect four stamps in the Dybex stand and three others of partners of Dybex, to which point a the location of a "secret" fifth one is revealed :
- "EVANGELION ANIME WORKS" stand(Shinji stamp)
- Dybex stand(Asuka stamp)
- Glénat stand, the distributor of the NGE manga by Sadamoto in France, their stand also had Die Sterne, Der Mond and another series guide books for sale(Rei stamp)
- Culture Japon S.A.S., a company specializing in the importation of mangas and goodies directly from Japan, and they have some really good shit, see bellow for some photos(Mari stamp)
- the secret stamp is in the stand of an importation company whose name I forgot, that's charged on exporting the concept of Japan Expo to the rest of the world(there the original one in Paris, another in Marseilles, one in Orleans, one in Bruxelles in Belgium and apparently there is one in the USA now), I think that they are the ones who were charged of transporting the original sketches and illustrations for the exposition.(Kaworu stamp, who else?)

Completed stamp set  SPOILER: Show

And the reward for completing the set... the satisfaction of having completed the set!
... :|
cheapstakes

Goodies I saw left and right :
In the Culture Japon S.A.S. stand :
Culture Japon S.A.S. goodies  SPOILER: Show
Rebuild 1.01 and 1.11 DVD, the three movies' soundtrack and 2.22 and even 3.33, all of this directly imported from Japan!(the BD costs 90€, 115$, ouch!)

"Groundwork of Evangelion 1.0" and "Groundwork of Evangelion 1.0" part 01 and 02(the part 02 is behind 01, featuring Mari on the cover), these books contains the complete collection of concept sketches, storyboard and finished pieces of the movie, seems to be awesome, but at 60€(77$) that was a tad too much for me to buy, if there was one from 3.0 I would have though about it, the last book(on the far right) present artwork from Sadamoto, of his work on Evangelion(manga, series and Rebuild) as well as his other works like Nadia or Diebuster :

In the Dybex stand :
Dybex stand  SPOILER: Show
Some of the goodies you saw in the web-page on the OP, saddly the SEELE and NERV mugs were sold-out, apparently these were huge hits among the fans(I can understand why, those mugs are really cool!) :

Well, that's all for my report, I hope that it will be enough to satiate your curiosity! :D
Last edited by ElMariachi on Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:32 pm

Awesome!
But I couldn´t go, I haven´t seen Anno´s annotations, etc. and that makes me pretty sad/nervous/angry.
But thanks for your in-depth descriptions ElMariachi, and for risking your life making photos. ^_^
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:34 pm

Judging by the description and photos it seems to have been a condensed version of the CRC in exhibit form.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:38 pm

Does that mean that if I buy the CRC I will gwt to see the conept art?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:53 pm

200+ pages of it for 2.0

Return to “Anime and Manga”