[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:41 pm

pfffft 3D printers are for babies*

Do it the old fashion way with your hands and suspiciously nice smelling but poisonous material.

That's what I'll do if Kotobukiya doesn't deliver by the end of the year. I already have a spare 02 kit waiting for a 08 head. Just other projects need attention first.

*On a more serious note, while the internet and media like to portray 3D printers and absolute fucking magic it's still far, far from it. Basically everything available to the average consumer does not have the resolution for scale models right out of the machine. You still have to spend a lot of time finishing the parts and adding the detail that is beyond the printer's ability the traditional way. For the average scale model, the amount of time and effort for making a part entirely by hand vs modeling it on the computer, printing it and then still finishing it by hand is about the same. You won't find any shortcuts, just a different tool that requires it's own enormous skill set.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:11 pm

Wait... An Eva 01 with an Eva 04 and Mark 06 color scheme?
Why not just make those Evas!?
And that NGE Eva 01 looks sweet!

And what is Revoltech (not) doing!? :irked:
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:59 pm

Yeah, where's my Vessel of the Adams Revoltech?!
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 pm

View Original PostTheAdmiral wrote:I wonder if it would be feasible to have alternative EVA heads 3D-printed? Then it would simply be a matter of plugging them onto an EVA-02 kit body. I've searched on Shapeways to see if anyone else had though of that, but it seems not.

I have the same idea... If Revoltech doesn't make Adam's Vessel or Pseudo Evolved Eva 13 I'll take sculpting extra heads and fancy rock-ish pylons in my own hands... But...

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:pfffft 3D printers are for babies*

*On a more serious note, while the internet and media like to portray 3D printers and absolute fucking magic it's still far, far from it. Basically everything available to the average consumer does not have the resolution for scale models right out of the machine. You still have to spend a lot of time finishing the parts and adding the detail that is beyond the printer's ability the traditional way. For the average scale model, the amount of time and effort for making a part entirely by hand vs modeling it on the computer, printing it and then still finishing it by hand is about the same. You won't find any shortcuts, just a different tool that requires it's own enormous skill set.

That!
I don't have the sculpting skills necessary for making a head from scratch so I plan on having a few basic head models printed (it goes for arouns 3 US each) and then refining the details with "suspiciously nice smelling but poisonous material"...
What do you think about that particular approach?

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:29 am

That's a perfectly reasonable approach that tries to minimized the impact of your own limitations as well as the printers. You'll get a nice starting point and make pesky things like keeping symmetry of the general shape easier.

Again, 3D printing is a tool, use it for what it's good for but don't expect magic. Have to work magic with your own hands :3

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:40 am

Hey folks, does anyone know which one is the most badass and awesome Mass Production Eva figure?

I just need one of those perveted white bringers of destruction for my collection. I like the one from Robbin Williams but Revoltech has a lot of options to the point I dont know which one to pick!

Then again, which is the current consensus of the best Eva-01 and 02 figures? the better quality the better.

P.S. I tried to get those cups and stuff but... it proved too dificult. Perhaps when I go to Japan I'll give it a shot.

Note: We need more Mass production eva merch.
Let None Find Us Wanting

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Thu Aug 18, 2016 1:53 am

View Original PostShark Knight wrote:Hey folks, does anyone know which one is the most badass and awesome Mass Production Eva figure?

I just need one of those perveted white bringers of destruction for my collection. I like the one from Robbin Williams but Revoltech has a lot of options to the point I dont know which one to pick!

Then again, which is the current consensus of the best Eva-01 and 02 figures? the better quality the better.

P.S. I tried to get those cups and stuff but... it proved too dificult. Perhaps when I go to Japan I'll give it a shot.

Note: We need more Mass production eva merch.

I can't vouch for non-Revo MPs, but the one I have (Weapon Ver. Revo) is pretty sweet. Any of the Revos wold work-- Weapon Ver, Wing Ver, or Perfect Ver (which is just an MP with the accessories of both Wing and Weapon). Their articulation isn't too bad, they've got good accessories, and they're pretty cool.

On the other side of things... don't go for the LMHG. For your sake. The LMHG, while having some cool stuff of its own, is more than a little disappointing in other departments (no elbow movement. at all).
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

Shark Knight
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shark Knight » Thu Aug 18, 2016 3:21 am

View Original PostFyrstorm wrote:I can't vouch for non-Revo MPs, but the one I have (Weapon Ver. Revo) is pretty sweet. Any of the Revos wold work-- Weapon Ver, Wing Ver, or Perfect Ver (which is just an MP with the accessories of both Wing and Weapon). Their articulation isn't too bad, they've got good accessories, and they're pretty cool.

On the other side of things... don't go for the LMHG. For your sake. The LMHG, while having some cool stuff of its own, is more than a little disappointing in other departments (no elbow movement. at all).

I see, so Revoltech it is! There are three versions then?
Perfect Ver seems the most awesome altought quite expensive on ebay.

I want to build mine with its wings and the surfboard or the spear. Then maybe I get an eva-01 for revoltech later so that they can fight, yeah!
Do you have other revoltechs? Also where can I check out other peoples collections? to get an idea of whats the most awesome merchandise out there and such.

THANK YOU SO MUCH Fyrstorm! shame there isnt a rep button.
Let None Find Us Wanting

Fyrstorm
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Fyrstorm » Thu Aug 18, 2016 4:24 am

View Original PostShark Knight wrote:I see, so Revoltech it is! There are three versions then?

I want to build mine with its wings and the surfboard or the spear. Then maybe I get an eva-01 for revoltech later so that they can fight, yeah!
Do you have other revoltechs? Also where can I check out other peoples collections? to get an idea of whats the most awesome merchandise out there and such.

You're welcome! Always happy to help!

For other Eva Revos, I have Evolution Unit-02, Unit-08b, and Eva-00 Prototype (Blue); a pretty varied selection. I'd recommend looing at the figure collection thread, wherever that's buggered off to.
My ongoing fanfics: NGE: (Not) the End, Evangelion: Regenesis

Winking Mari makes my heart go doki doki
We're all Asuka-fanboys? I take great exception to that. It's Mari I want to plow nine ways from Sunday, if you don't mind.

What? She's 28 now.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:03 pm

View Original PostShark Knight wrote:I see, so Revoltech it is! There are three versions then?

Try searching Mandarake, the perfect version (accurate name "manga version", as it was made to conmemmorate the long-running Evangelion Manga) pops up there once in a while at a reasonable price.

I have practically all Evangelion Revoltechs and other miscellaneous Eva figures and post reviews of them in my Youtube channel, I have one that compares all the MP Eva Revoltech versions and several reviews of many Units 01/02...

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:13 am

Lots of pics of the shiny, new Kotobukiya TV Eva-01

http://www.kotobukiya.co.jp/labo/labo-85363/

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:13 am

Lots of pics of the shiny, new Kotobukiya TV Eva-01

Pre-order already up on amiami and HLJ

Footlong Shoe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Footlong Shoe » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:04 pm

I'm completely new to building models. Are these Kotobukiya models a good starting point? Also do they require glue and/or paint?

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:28 pm

View Original PostFootlong Shoe wrote:I'm completely new to building models. Are these Kotobukiya models a good starting point? Also do they require glue and/or paint?

The 1/400 EVAs have quite a few very small parts, but the instructions are pretty straightforward and the actual kit is not a complicated build. They'll certainly be sturdier and look better with glue and paint, but these aren't absolutely necessary. I left mine unpainted because they hold-up better to handling that way.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:06 am

View Original PostFootlong Shoe wrote:I'm completely new to building models. Are these Kotobukiya models a good starting point? Also do they require glue and/or paint?

I'd recommend you try one of the older, simpler (and cheaper) models, they may not be as good as those nowadays, but if you can learn a lot from those before spending more money on a more elaborate figure...

Footlong Shoe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Footlong Shoe » Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:57 am

Thanks for the advice! Do you have any specific recommendations?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:30 pm

I would like to pick the brain of the regulars to this forum as figures are not really my thing,* I hope you won't point and laugh or shake your heads in disgust at the question I'm going to ask. My question is why is that there are massive variations in prices for figures of the same character. For example, in an attempt to compare apples to apples (which was difficult as it appears many of them sell out rather quickly. It seems to me that once a figure is availabe for preorder, one has to decide quick to get or else not bother), I did find one from the same store with the same character (in this case Rei in a China dress), but different prices. The first one retails for US$34.99 while the second one goes for US$95.99. What justifies the price difference of over $30 as it is the same design and made of the same plastic material? Hell, the cheaper figure is actually a little over an inch taller, which means more material was used in making it. Please answer this as I find it very confusing. Thank you for any information.

*That is to say I'm not against getting one eventually. While I do admire the beauty and craftsmanship of some of them, but for the prices they're asking for, I'd rather put the money into importing art & illustration books or perhaps a soundtrack cd. So while I do see myself getting one or two someday, I'll always be keeping and eye on the artbooks first.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

TheAdmiral
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:21 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I would like to pick the brain of the regulars to this forum as figures are not really my thing,* I hope you won't point and laugh or shake your heads in disgust at the question I'm going to ask. My question is why is that there are massive variations in prices for figures of the same character. For example, in an attempt to compare apples to apples (which was difficult as it appears many of them sell out rather quickly. It seems to me that once a figure is availabe for preorder, one has to decide quick to get or else not bother), I did find one from the same store with the same character (in this case Rei in a China dress), but different prices. The first one retails for US$34.99 while the second one goes for US$95.99. What justifies the price difference of over $30 as it is the same design and made of the same plastic material? Hell, the cheaper figure is actually a little over an inch taller, which means more material was used in making it. Please answer this as I find it very confusing. Thank you for any information.

*That is to say I'm not against getting one eventually. While I do admire the beauty and craftsmanship of some of them, but for the prices they're asking for, I'd rather put the money into importing art & illustration books or perhaps a soundtrack cd. So while I do see myself getting one or two someday, I'll always be keeping and eye on the artbooks first.

The short version: the retail price of a product many times has absolutely nothing to do with the materials, quality or craftsmanship. Sometimes it's as simple as a company deciding to price something right at the limit of what they think people will be willing to pay, and nothing more.

ianthegamer
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ianthegamer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:44 pm

If anyone spots a 400% Eva-01 Medicom Kubrick let me know :)

Shamsiel-kun
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Shamsiel-kun » Sat Sep 10, 2016 2:09 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Lots of pics of the shiny, new Kotobukiya TV Eva-01

Pre-order already up on amiami and HLJ

Just when I've started building one of their old Technique Impossible resin kits. ^_^

Current conclusion: The kit doesn't live up to its reputation, it builds quite easily for such a complicated resin kit. There's some tricky parts, the instruction book contains a few errors*, and two places where parts really don't fit properly (one of which I can likely solve by pinning parts to the frame). Filling, sanding and painting parts takes a lot of time. The most important point is to plan ahead and test-fit tons of times.
* I think they made a prototype Eva (scale) model, wrote the instruction book, then made a production version with some changes and amended the instruction book improperly.
The singularity is the rapture for nerds, dude. It's not going to happen. - Chuckman

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”